Healthy Baked Falafel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Healthy Baked Falafel

You heard me right, that stalwart of deep frying can be baked. Surprisingly it comes out just as tasty as the original fried falafel. The best part of it is that it only takes 20 minutes cooking time, with none of the hassle and mess of frying. It also avoids the oily smell that deep frying creates in your house.

This baked falafel recipe is a great food to make ahead and freeze. Then you have the ability to have a great healthy meal in less than 30 minutes.

Serve with Tahini dipCucumber Yogurt SaladHummus dip, and Baba Ghanou dip.

Falafel can also be served cold for lunch and makes a great sandwich.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Healthy Baked Falafel

Thank you Old Man for this recipe. My family loves Falafel, but we do not care for anything deep fried. The frying bothers my Asthma, and it stinks up the house for days.
    Would you be able to substitute the Egyptian beans with chick peas? I don' t have a Middle Eastern store near me. I cook chick peas in my crockpot and freeze them away in manageble portions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Thanks Pingo. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

You can certainly substitute chick peas and in the same quantities, but they must not be pre-cooked.  For this recipe you should soak 2 cups of dry chick peas for at least 2 days, changing the water often. You can use luke warm water but not hot. They will be soft to the touch but still firm. Not pre-cooking is important to get the right taste and texture.

I would tell you though that the fava beans substantially increase the flavor of the falafel. And since you are buying dry beans, you can buy them in large quantities and they never spoil.

Also, I have seen the Goya dry fava beans at Market Basket. They are large beans, where most people prefer small beans. However, while I would not use them in my normal fava beans dish, I think that they are fine for making falafel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Old Man!
    Looks like I will go hunting for the dry Fava Beans. To be honest, I never really like the taste of the Fava Beans one can buy frozen. But I am always game for trying anything, at least once. I do like your idea of baking the Falafel though, so that will entice me to try the dry ones.
    I do shop on occasion at Market Basket, so I will start my "hunt" there. Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Hi Pingo,

I went and found the Goya dry fava beans I had. I just made a batch of falafel with it and it worked fine. I just have some tips for you:

• You will need to remove the bean casings, in the large beans they are too thick and would never cook properly. The good news is that they come right off after about a day of soaking. It is not a peeling process, it is more like removing a flexible shell off the beans.
    • I soaked mine for 3 days, I also used hot tap water. This helped accelerate the process and made the casings come off more easy.
    • The recipe on the web site neglected to mention green onions, this has been rectified.
    OMR

Sections
Shortcuts