Need testers for new recipe feature

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Need testers for new recipe feature

Recipe Mavens! I have a request: Will you serve as my testers of a new recipe feature I want to set up?

We've thrown it up on a test page, along with some navigation links in the right column. We think this will be an easier way for everyone to post and find recipes rather than clicking through pages of discussion threads.

Since we haven't formally launched it, we haven't integrated it with our registration system yet -- but we will. In the meantime, to add a recipe, you will have to register first. You can choose your Boston.com screen name as your screen name for this so I know who you are. After this test period, I will delete all of your accounts.

I was hoping that each of you would do two things for me:

1) Use the Advanced Search page to look for recipes by various combinations of the categories that are there: Course, Cuisine, Occasion, etc. When you get a list of recipes, let me know what you think of the presentation of the list of recipes.

Then click through on the recipes and tell me what you think of that  presentation. Most of these are recipes from the Globe, and we didn't have access to all of the information we needed, but we did our best.

Ignore the occasional odd characters; that can happen from cutting and pasting, but is easily fixed. We just didn't bother for this test.

2) Submit a recipe yourself. There's a link that says "Submit Recipe" on the right side of the dark blue bar at the top. You'll get a screen asking you to sign in; click on the "register here" link.

Your username has to be at least 8 characters; it's used only for signing in and doesn't show up anywhere.

Your screen name is what shows up attached to your recipe; under the recipe name it will say, for example, "Submitted by kargiver".

First and last name is also required. Again, nobody will see those names except me behind the scenes in the Admin tool. If you don't want to use your real name, then just fill in your screen name for both first and last names (e.g. pingo / pingo or Mrs. / Pingo).

After you have registered, then sign in and add a recipe. I'd like to know if you think our choices within each category are complete enough. For example, have we included the correct courses, cuisines, occasions, etc. (without going too crazy)?

Please also upload a photo of your dish if you have one.

You'll also see that you each will have your own recipe box ... recipes that you have submitted. It doesn't appear that you can save others' recipes in a Favorites section somewhere, but I'll talk to the vendor about that.

Finally: Overall, do you find the tool easy to use, whether searching for a recipe or adding one? Just add your comments on this thread.

Thanks ahead of time for your help. Your feedback will be really valuable as we roll out this new feature.

Here are a couple of links for you:

Submit a Recipe
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/testaddrecipe

Advanced Search:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/testadvanced/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Need testers for new recipe feature

Dottie,
    This would be awesome, if you can get it going. Will think of a recipe to add, right now I am blank.
    Some eons ago, I had the Boston Globe Cookbook - the small green one with a spiral back. Some wonderful recipes in there from old Chatters. Unfortunately I misplaced it. Just wondering if it is still available. Probably not. Besides cooking and baking has changed quite a bit since then. But it was nice to see the names of contributers, that has passed long ago.
    This feature would be a great replacement. Best of luck with it.
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

In Response to Re: Need testers for new recipe feature:
    [QUOTE]Dottie, This would be awesome, if you can get it going. Will think of a recipe to add, right now I am blank. Some eons ago, I had the Boston Globe Cookbook - the small green one with a spiral back. Some wonderful recipes in there from old Chatters. Unfortunately I misplaced it. Just wondering if it is still available. Probably not. Besides cooking and baking has changed quite a bit since then. But it was nice to see the names of contributers, that has passed long ago. This feature would be a great replacement. Best of luck with it. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I should try to track down a copy, Pingo, and have an intern enter them into this new recipe feature. That way everyone could find those old Chatter recipes. Also, I bet we have them on file in the Globe library archives. Good idea!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Dottie,
    I tried to enter a recipe this morning, but it would not allow me. I was trying to enter my plum chutney (posted elsewhere), and I did not find a catagory for it. So I tried to enter it under "all". But I did not get anywhere. Could not do it.

Also, one question. Will the recipes we enter be a property of the Boston Globe? I am in the process of writing a cook book. I would not want the recipes, I would share with the Globe to be banned from publishing elsewhere.

All in all, I think this is a great feature for the Globe. We have needed this for a very long time. So many posters have so many great recipes to share. I truly hope this will be a fixed feature here.
    Best wishes and good luck - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

One more thing Dottie, I started my crockpot for a lamb stew this morning. Just thinking, maybe there should be a category for "Crockpot/slowcooker" recipes. Also one for my chutney, maybe savories???
    Can you tell, I am so excited about this new feature of yours? tt's Brambles is in my oven right now using my plum chutney. You know, we chatters have so much to share. I hope the Globe will never cancel us.
    Best to you and your new feature. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

YEAH!!!
    Hope you will be lucky enough to find them. There was some wonderful NE recipes in it. So unhappy, I lost it - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need testers for new recipe feature : I should try to track down a copy, Pingo, and have an intern enter them into this new recipe feature. That way everyone could find those old Chatter recipes. Also, I bet we have them on file in the Globe library archives. Good idea!
    Posted by BDCDottie[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]One more thing Dottie, I started my crockpot for a lamb stew this morning. Just thinking, maybe there should be a category for "Crockpot/slowcooker" recipes. Also one for my chutney, maybe savories??? Can you tell, I am so excited about this new feature of yours? tt's Brambles is in my oven right now using my plum chutney. You know, we chatters have so much to share. I hope the Globe will never cancel us. Best to you and your new feature. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Where's the pic of those jam brambles, Pingo?  Surely you and Mr. P. haven't devoured them all - - -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dottie, this is great!  I would like to be able to sort the results of the search on rating and username of submitter.  I haven't tried to add a recipe yet.

Thanks!!!

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hi Pingo: I added "Savories" as a category under "Courses". I think you could categorize your lamb stew as a Main Dish, although I see your point about being able to search by type of cooking, such as crockpot, wok, etc. Let me talk to the company.

As for Cuisine, chutney of course would be Indian, and the lamb stew could be many nationalities - given my heritage, I would classify it as Irish ;-). If you don't know the cuisine, just leave it blank -- it's not required. Only the sections with red stars beside them are required.

No, we are not taking your rights to the recipes. By posting them, you are simply giving us publishing rights for this recipe feature. They still belong to you. It's no different than publishing them on this forum, in fact. It's just a different form.

Also, I want to make sure that you are on the Submit a Recipe page and not the Advanced Search page. There is no "All" choice on the Submit a Recipe page. It's here:

Submit a Recipe:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/testaddrecipe

Links to all of the sections are in the right column under the heading, "Quick ugly navigation".

Finally, kar, you can search by rating and screen name on the Advanced Search page:

Advanced Search

Thanks again for your help. I'm anxious to see the recipes you submit and your reaction to the new feature after you have used it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dottie,
    Chutney is not only Indian. This plum chutney I made, I used for the brambles, tt tried to post - just delicious. If placed under "Indian", some people may never look it up, and that would be such a shame.  Cranberry/orange relish is also a chutney. Not all chutneys are spicy. And my plum chutney is definetely not.
    I know lambstew is certainly a main dish, but I think a separate section with slowcooker/crockpot recipes would be a nice addition. They have become quite popular again. I know, I google them all the time.
    HTA - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts