OT - Healthy Dinner Recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I love to make soups, because they are wonderful in the winter time. So warming, and good for sticking to a diet because the liquid in them makes me feel filled up after fewer calories.

Here's a minestrone that can be made with pantry staples. The ingredient list might look long, but it is really flexible. If you don't have one of the vegetables or seasonings, just leave it out or substitute what you have. As usual with cooking, this is more of a set of guidelines than a rulebook :).
    Olive Oil
    1 Yellow Onion, diced
    2 Cloves Garlic, minced
    1 Can Stewed or Fire Roasted Tomatoes (15 oz), blended (or not blended if it's a fine dice)
    1 Large Carrot, diced (or I use several baby carrots so I can snack on extras later)
    6-7 Cups of Hot Water, or Vegetable Stock, or water + vegetable bouillon
    1 Tbs Tomato Paste
    1 Bay Leaf
    1/4-1/2 tsp Celery Salt
    a few generous pinches of dried herbs (I use rosemary and marjoram; oregano and/or thyme would also be good)
    2/3 Cup Elbow Macaroni (or other small pasta shape)
    2 Cups Kale, chopped packed (or spinach, or some other leafy green)
    Salt to Taste (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
    1/2 Cup Frozen peas
    1 can of chickpeas, cannelloni, or kidney beans (15 oz), rinsed and drained
    dash of vinegar (to taste)
    Black Pepper

Instructions:
    Heat a big pot on medium-low. Add a little bit of olive oil to the pot (or use cooking spray if you want a super low-fat dish--but I think a little olive oil is healthy). Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic in the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.

Add the canned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
    Add the carrot, broth/water, celery salt, other herbs. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    Once carrot is slightly softened, add kale and macaroni.
    If you used water instead of vegetable broth or bouillon, add salt to taste.
    Simmer, covered, until pasta is cooked.
    Add frozen peas and can of beans and stir them in. They will heat up in just 1 or 2 minutes.
    Taste. Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of lemon, if you think it needs something.
    Sprinkle pepper over the top.
    Enjoy with a crusty bread.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone know a good recipe or alternative for chicken pot pie? I can't remember the exact number of points, but I think half of a "for two" frozen pie was something like 12 points. That made me sad because it's one of my faaaaavorite things!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

best part is, ramen noodles are so cheap!

[Quote]

Oh that is a good idea. I know my guy likes lo-meins so that might be a nice change from a brown rice to the noodles in our stir fry.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Yes, he and I both really like lo mein. That's why I love the idea so much. I'm going to ask him if we can try that sometime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]

I have to say - I routinely substitute fat-free yogurt in any receipe that calls for sour cream. However, when I substituted the Greek yogurt - it came out really weird. Maybe it's because I was baking instead of cooking?

Another tip that works well is to substiute apple sauce for vegetable oil. Works well in waffles, coffee cakes, etc. You can also substitute applesauce for butter, but the proportions are a little different - I'm not sure I would recommend it, unless you don't mind the end result tasting a little apple-y. :)

Oh, but good call on the Eddy's Slow-Churned - it actually has less fat and calories than the low-fat, low-cal variety.

ETA: By the way, I don't know how helpful this is as far as "healthy" recipes go, but, in baking, you can almost always cut the amount of sugar in the recipe in half. I do it all the time.[/Quote]

I just made oatmeal raisin cookies that are fat free because of your tip about the apple sauce. My hubby exclaimed, "You could SELL these!" I'll post the recipe later...gotta run for now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[Quote][Quote]

All this food talk is making me hanker for a hunk o' cheese. HA!

[/Quote]

Too funny Goodness!! I remember that commercial.[/Quote]

Ah, the good ol' days!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Oh, I also make a sweet potato hash with the chicken sausages. Peel, cube and boil a sweet potato. In a large sautee pan, sautee some onions with oil, butter, I can't believe it's not butter, smart balance, whatever the heck you want. Add in some garlic, what ever other spices you want. Add in the sweet potatoes and cooked chicken sausages. Sprinkle on some cinnamon, salt and pepper. Serve it with eggs, as a side dish, whatever you want! Also full of fiber and filling, and a great way to get rid of sweet potatoes that have been sitting in your cabinets so long they're beginning to resemble really old faces (or does that just happen at my house?)...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]Hi kargiver,
    Can you post your recipe for the baked mac n cheese? Is it just the cooked pasta with the cheese sprinkled on top and then baked?

Thanks!

[/Quote]

Hi, katie,

Sorry just saw this - of course, I'll post - it's a 5 star Rachel Ray recipe that I modified a bit. I don't have the nutrition facts, and I have to say I know it's not my healthiest recipe, but we enjoy it once in a while and do watch our portions. I'm also very conscious of serving a large salad and side veggie with it so it's balanced.

Stay tuned; I'll edit this in a minute with the recipe (nope, not just pasta and cheese, but it's still very easy).

ETA Recipe:

First, to give proper credit, this is, as I said a RR. She, however, only uses 1/2 an onion, no zucchini, white pasta, and full-fat cheese, whole milk, and puts a buttered panko crumb topping on it (which I omit).

(I keep the all purpose white flour for the rue for its gluten and thickening power; that's why it's in the recipe.)

T = Tablespoon
    t = teaspoon
    c = cups

Ingredients:
    1/2 lb whole wheat, organic (for digestability) pasta (Whole Foods)
    3 T butter
    3 T all-purpose flour
    1 T powdered mustard
    3 c 2% milk
    medium onion of choice, very finely diced
    2 med zucchini, shredded/grated
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 t paprika
    1 lg egg
    12 oz shredded/grated 2% Cracker Barrel Cheddar Cheese
    1 t salt
    pepper to taste

Shred cheese and zucchini, dice onion.

Preheat oven with rack in center to 350

Cook pasta to just under al dente, drain, run under cold water to stop cooking, leave in collandar in sink.

While pasta is cooking: In fairly large pot, melt butter on low, add flour, whisk constantly 5 minutes to create a lump-free thickening rue. Whisk in milk, onion, bay leaf, paprika, careful to not allow lumps. Simmer, whisking often, 10 minutes; ensure onions are soft. Temper egg *. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Dab pasta drier and stir in.

Pour into standard caserole dish, bake covered 30 minutes (should be very bubbly).

Remove and let stand 5 - 10 minutes on cooling rack before serving to let cheese not be so soupy.

* To temper egg (this keeps the egg from "scrambling" in the hot cheese mixture - yuck): Whisk egg in 2 cup pyrex measuring cup (or other similarly sized container). While whisking with one hand, slowly pour 1/4 cup of hot mixture into the egg. Whisk constantly and keep adding 1/4 cups of the mixture until there are about 2 cups of egg mixture. Then, pour egg mixture back into the pot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Does he like lo mein? You can also use the same technique with brown rice for a fried rice stir fry.

[Quote]

I like the idea of the Ramen noodles. I wonder if my fiance would go for it, though.

[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Brighton, thanks for the tip. I'd seen it but didn't know that's what it was. Does it come fat free?

Speaking of the yogurt cheese, I thought of something else. Sometimes I drain my crazy dry to use as cream cheese. I've seen it used for low fat cheesecake in Cooking Light.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. I have been following and enjoying this series of recipes in the New York Times, all of which feature healthy foods, with a lot of vegetarian recipes:
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

I have a great recipe for a Butternut squash soup. Sautee together some onion and butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter light) until onions are semi soft. Add some cinnamon (1/4 tsp), nutmeg (1/8 tsp), cayenne (between 1/4 adn 1/8), fresh thyme (1/2 tsp), salt and pepper. Take a butternut squash, de-seed, peel and cube. Add to onion mix with about 4 cups broth (I use bullion, although I know it has lots of salt), 2 cups water, and 1 cup half and half (you can use the fat free, light, whatever you'd like). Boil together until squash is tender. Put it in a blender in batches, puree until smooth, transfer back to pot, and add about 1 tbsp. of lemon juice. Delicious!!! And, aside from the bullion and the fat in 1 cup. half and half, it's not too bad for you, and has fiber and other good stuff...I find it usually makes about 4-5 tupperware containers, so I feel like the 1 cup half and half is not so bad per serving. It's pretty filling and freezes well. One of my go-to favorites!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

My favorite recipe from the SB diet is the Balsamic Chicken.

Ingredients
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
    2/3 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1-2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
    1 1/3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Instructions
    Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Combine the rosemary, garlic, pepper, and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Drizzle with the oil, and rub with the spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a heavy roasting pan or iron skillet with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the pan and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over. If the drippings begin to stick to the pan, stir in 3-4 tablespoons water or white wine (if using).

Bake about 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°F and the juices run clear. If the pan is dry, stir in another 1-2 tablespoons of water or white wine to loosen the drippings. Drizzle the vinegar over the chicken in the pan.

Transfer the chicken to plates. Stir the liquid in the pan and drizzle over the chicken.

Nutritional Information:
    183 calories
    6 total fat (1 g sat)
    65 mg cholesterol
    4 g carbohydrate
    26 g protein
    0 g fiber

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[Quote]

[/Quote]

Too funny Goodness!! I remember that commercial.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Oven roasted zucchini is a great idea, and I wanted to add that there are so many veggies that can be roasted in the oven for about 15 minutes and turn out super delicious. Some of my favorites:
    -green beans- trim, toss with salt & pepper, roast at 375 to desired done-ness (maybe ~15 minutes). I love these with a squeeze of lemon or vinegar.
    -eggplant- slice thinly, salt, let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse slices. Toss in Italian herbs. spray pan with olive oil. Roast for ~20-25 minutes.
    -potatoes, obviously, with whatever seasoning :). For cajun baked french fries, slice thinly, toss with olive oil, then toss with salt, paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme, cayenne. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes; flip them; bake another 10-15 minutes.
    -brussel sprouts- slice in half, spray with olive oil, salt, herbs, lemon. bake until the bottoms get a little browned and crispy.

...mix together a lentil & rice pilaf (you can use a boxed mix) on the stove top and put any of these things in the oven and you have a healthy meal ready in about 20 minutes with no fuss. or try a flavored quinoa mix. those are delicious and healthy and easy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

I'm with amschnittger, salmon is great and so good for you.

Baked in foil it is so quick and easy to clean too. I put in a chopped tomato, shallot, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice and bake it on 400 for about 20 minutes... so good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]I put in another vote for stir-fry. It's how I sneakily reduced the amount fo meat DH and I were eating every night. When you have so much veggies and flavor, he didn't notice that there was very little meat.
    I like to use ramen noodles in my stirfry. I just boil the noodles, strain and then throw then in the wok after the veggies are done cooking and toss with soy sauce.[/Quote]

Oh that is a good idea. I know my guy likes lo-meins so that might be a nice change from a brown rice to the noodles in our stir fry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Especially in the winter - Im a big fan of soups which I usually improvise but with kids around I faked em out and everyone enjoyed the very healthy soup I invented to combat the pizza and chicken fingers and fries they'd been eating all week (Disney Dad) that I called:

Chicken Swamp Soup

Can't really give measurements
    But I said to the kids we were going to eat a swamp and it had to be the swampiest swamp available

Had on hand - Kale, Spinach, Chinese Cabbage, and any other greens
    Bay leaf
    Also Celery Onions Garlic Carrots and green beans
    Chicken sausages skins removed
    Started with a big pot half filled with water brought to a boil with very thinly sliced onions and carrots, thinly julienned celery, a few garlic cloves, bay leaf and pepper and a touch of salt. When that was boiling added the sausage interiors (these chicken sausages are savory like italian sausages and they crumble pretty easily once cooked through.)

Then we decided which things would look like what in a swamp
    Green beans untrimmed - snakes
    Bay leaf = dead decaying leaves
    Onions and celery - thinly juliened worms
    Carrot slices - stretch but we said pond lilies

Last just before serving add all greens they wilt quickly (don't chop up the lg spinach leaves)

Kids loved trying to gross each other out and it really was a great low fat, very healthy soup. DH approved!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Kargiver you are so right on the portion thing. We finally got our food scale and that has helped so much with things. Especially with ice cream, my DH scoops and he doesn't like the half cup measuring so he did it once and put it on our food scale so he can get the weight of a serving size, and now he knows for X ice cream a serving is Y grams and just scoops until the scale hits the magic number.

It is also good for meats as well, because I could never quite visualize a pack of cards which is what is supposed to be a portion of chicken but now I can weigh it and only eat the 4 or 6 ounces that the recipe calls for. The more we use the scale the easier it is to eyeball the correct portions. And the same goes for cereal, I always use a measuring cup to get the single serving, I realize now that I used to eat 2- 2.5 servings at a sitting because that is what fit the bowl.

We generally don't limit our veggies to any particular serving size and steam them, if we want a bit of a kick we may do a tiny bit of olive oil and pepper on them but generally nothing else to them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have made this butternut squash soup from www.marthastewart.com. It was really good! I wasn't counting points at that time, but I would guess it is very low per serving. It was easy to make, besides chopping all the squash, and it tasted even better the next day!

Serves 4 to 6

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, coarsely chopped

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks

1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.

Add squash, broth, and enough water (4 to 5 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.

Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree broth and vegetables until smooth. If using a blender, work in batches and fill only halfway, allowing heat to escape: Remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid firmly with a dish towel, and blend. Transfer to a clean pot as you work. Adjust soups consistency with a little water if necessary. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Great tips Kargiver!
    I found this on the Men's Health website. It's the eat this, not that guide & there are tons of little tips for what to avoid when shopping or eating out. Really opened my eyes!

As for recipes, a friend pointed me toward the Hungry Girl website. I know they have a cookbook out that i haven't gotten my hands on yet, but there are some healthy recipes on this site. There is a good crustless quiche, I've tried the taco bake & black bean brownies too. Good stuff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I like the idea of the Ramen noodles. I wonder if my fiance would go for it, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicken veggie stew (adapted to be heavier on veggies and removed potato from a Rachel Ray):

T = Tablespoon
    t = teaspoon
    Poultry Seasoning is an actual product (not something you have to guess at) in a little box with an old fashioned turkey drawing on it. It's very finely powdered mix of rosemary, thyme, and other "poultry friendly" seasonings.

1.5 lbs chicken tenders, chopped into bite sized pieces
    1 T olive oil
    2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    1 large onion, finely diced
    2-3 ribs celery, thinly sliced (use leaves, too)
    1 parsnip, thinkly sliced
    1/2 box frozen baby peas
    1 bay leaf
    1 t salt
    pepper to taste
    2 T flour
    2 T butter
    1 quart non-fat chicken broth

In large heavy pot, saute veggies and bay leaf in oil and butter on med-high 5 minutes. While cooking, add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and flour. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth. Bring to boil (very important), and add chicken. Cover, reduce heat to very low, simmer 15 minutes. Stir in peas, bring back up to temperature (about 3 minutes).

For pot pies, while simmering filling, pre-heat oven to 400. Prepare top as per above post. Bake until crust is done...not sure how long, but not more than 20 minutes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Zucchini chips:
    cut a large zucchini and cut into 1/4 inch slices, spray a roasting rack with cooking spray, arrange on roastng rack, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a little parmesean cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until crispy.

Sections
Shortcuts