Pickled Green Tomatoes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pickled Green Tomatoes!

This has not been a banner year for any of us New Englanders in "growing your own tomatoes" department. Too much rain, too little sun. I have not seen a single red one yet - but have plenty of green ones. As much as I love a just picked ripe tomato, I am not sad. I can pickle the green ones. Have done that for years. In fact our Thanksgiving Dinner is not TG w/o them. I used to save some green ones just for that purpose. But this year - not to worry, I will have plenty.
    This recipe, I got from my sister, who is not with us any longer. Here we go:

Pickled green tomatoes:

2 quarts green tomatoes. 
    2 c. sugar
    3 Tbs. salt
    2 cups vinegar
    5 - 7 cloves
    2 inch piece of cinnamon
    5 - 7 peppercorns
    If you like it spicy - a couple of dried chilies will do.

Clean and rinse tomatoes. Cut the larger one in quarters, pri*k the smaller ones deeply with a fork.
    Bring sugar, vinager, salt and spices to a boil.
    Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil again. As soon they come to a boil, take them off the heat immediately.
    Now scoop up the tomatoes and place in hot clean, sterilised (dishwasher will do that) jars. Boil the liquid for 10 - 15 minutes longer and pour it over the tomatoes. Quickly seal them and refrigerate. Since no preservative is added - keep refrigerated. Will stay well until Thanksgiving. Mine are usually eaten up by then.
    Enjoy!

Edit to add:
    One note on the pickled tomatoes. Depending on how juicy the tomatoes are, the liquid can sometimes run thin. I have made them many times and it only happened to me twice. I just pour off all the liquid, boil it some more and then pour it back on the tomatoes. I guess, I didn't boil the liquid long enough the first time to thicken it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Pickled Green Tomatoes!

Weird, I posted to this this morning (and the OP was messed up; it had two avatars and squished message), but now it's gone...

Anyway, thanks for posting this, Pingo!  I have been pining for my late great-grandmother's recipe and wishing I'd gotten her also long gone recipe box.  DH just had to thin our diseased tomatoes down to a scant remaining healthy ones.  Darn all that rain!

What is the minimum time they need to pickle?

Thanks, again, dear friend!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh well, I guess I forgot - sorry! Two weeks minimum, but they get better the longer they sit. Just make sure they are refrigerated - since no preservatives are added. I guess you could add preservative and do the old fashioned canning method. I just never bothered, since they "fly" off the table.

In Response to Re: Pickled Green Tomatoes!:
    [QUOTE]Weird, I posted to this this morning (and the OP was messed up; it had two avatars and squished message), but now it's gone... Anyway, thanks for posting this, Pingo!  I have been pining for my late great-grandmother's recipe and wishing I'd gotten her also long gone recipe box.  DH just had to thin our diseased tomatoes down to a scant remaining healthy ones.  Darn all that rain! What is the minimum time they need to pickle? Thanks, again, dear friend! ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abet6d. Show abet6d's posts

In Response to Pickled Green Tomatoes!:
    [QUOTE]This has not been a banner year for any of us New Englanders in "growing your own tomatoes" department. Too much rain, too little sun. I have not seen a single red one yet - but have plenty of green ones. As much as I love a just picked ripe tomato, I am not sad. I can pickle the green ones. Have done that for years. In fact our Thanksgiving Dinner is not TG w/o them. I used to save some green ones just for that purpose. But this year - not to worry, I will have plenty. This recipe, I got from my sister, who is not with us any longer. Here we go: Pickled green tomatoes: 2 quarts green tomatoes.  2 c. sugar 3 Tbs. salt 2 cups vinegar 5 - 7 cloves 2 inch piece of cinnamon 5 - 7 peppercorns If you like it spicy - a couple of dried chilies will do. Clean and rinse tomatoes. Cut the larger one in quarters, pri*k the smaller ones deeply with a fork. Bring sugar, vinager, salt and spices to a boil. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil again. As soon they come to a boil, take them off the heat immediately. Now scoop up the tomatoes and place in hot clean, sterilised (dishwasher will do that) jars. Boil the liquid for 10 - 15 minutes longer and pour it over the tomatoes. Quickly seal them and refrigerate. Since no preservative is added - keep refrigerated. Will stay well until Thanksgiving. Mine are usually eaten up by then. Enjoy! Edit to add: One note on the pickled tomatoes. Depending on how juicy the tomatoes are, the liquid can sometimes run thin. I have made them many times and it only happened to me twice. I just pour off all the liquid, boil it some more and then pour it back on the tomatoes. I guess, I didn't boil the liquid long enough the first time to thicken it.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    That's great recipe! I'll try to make it.
    I love pickles and tomatoes are my favor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from romanticf16. Show romanticf16's posts

Vinegar and salt are both preservatives if you do decide to can them using boiling water.