Savory rhubarb recipe?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Savory rhubarb recipe?

Is there anything savory you do with rhubarb?  We grow it, but we are also trying to cut WAY back on sweets.  All I know to do with it is make pie and preserves...

Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

Re: Savory rhubarb recipe?

Somewhere, I have a recipe for pork chops with a rhubarb compote.  I can't find it at the moment, but I just googled "rhubarb pork" and got gazillions of hits, many of which sound amazing.

Enjoy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Somewhere, I have a recipe for pork chops with a rhubarb compote.  I can't find it at the moment, but I just googled "rhubarb pork" and got gazillions of hits, many of which sound amazing. Enjoy!
    Posted by akmom[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank you!  I am a big googler, but didn't think this time to put another ingredient with it so it just came up with tons of pie.  This year we'll not just let it be decoration!  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Kar,
    Our family is big fans of rhubarbs. I wish I grew them in my yard.
    I usually make a crisp - just like any other fruit crisp. But I add 1/3 strawberries (like 2c. rhubarb, 1c. strawberries). This way I have to use less sugar.
    I also make a compote. Cut the rhubarbs to 3/4 inch pieces. Wash and rinse. Place in a pot with the water that hangs on. Add vanilla and sugar to taste. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup of sugar to 4 cups of rhubarb, but do it to your liking (we like ours tart) and cook on medium low until rhubarbs are tender. Refrigerate. I use it as jam and on ice cream. It is also wonderful served with pork. HTH - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hello Kar, Our family is big fans of rhubarbs. I wish I grew them in my yard. I usually make a crisp - just like any other fruit crisp. But I add 1/3 strawberries (like 2c. rhubarb, 1c. strawberries). This way I have to use less sugar. I also make a compote. Cut the rhubarbs to 3/4 inch pieces. Wash and rinse. Place in a pot with the water that hangs on. Add vanilla and sugar to taste. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup of sugar to 4 cups of rhubarb, but do it to your liking (we like ours tart) and cook on medium low until rhubarbs are tender. Refrigerate. I use it as jam and on ice cream. It is also wonderful served with pork. HTH - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hey, pingo, thanks - maybe I'll do a sweet and cut way back on the sugar.  I do love rhubarb preserves, and I only have so much will power.  Last year, the Japanese beetles ate the leaves and essentially ruined it.  Too bad the leaves don't seem to be poinsonous to them.  We put down milky spore, though, so hopefully no beetles this year!!!

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashmama. Show ashmama's posts

Rhubarb is absolutely delicious with lamb and beef. Just put it in the last 15 minutes of cooking so it doesn't get mushy. Also, if you google savory rhubarb, you'll get a lot of recipes, mostly Middle Eastern, that use it with meat or savory vegetarian dishes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Rhubarb is absolutely delicious with lamb and beef. Just put it in the last 15 minutes of cooking so it doesn't get mushy. Also, if you google savory rhubarb, you'll get a lot of recipes, mostly Middle Eastern, that use it with meat or savory vegetarian dishes.
    Posted by ashmama[/QUOTE]

Thanks!