Share your breakfast tips for back to school

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

Share your breakfast tips for back to school

It's that time of year again. Students are filling their backpacks with notebooks and making their way back into the classroom. What do you fill their stomachs with before they head out the door? Is it a challenge to get your kids to eat? Whether you prepare a sit-down meal or breakfast to go, share your tips and recipes for your morning meals.

From the Globe: Just don't call it breakfast (recipes included)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from knowmenow. Show knowmenow's posts

Toasted Steel Cut Oats (crock pot)

1. Toast (don't burn) until brown 1 C steel cut oats in a pan in oil (whatever you have, canola, olive, butter, crisco).  This is optional but changes the taste for the better.
    2. Transfer oats to crock pot
    3. Add 3 C Water, 2 C milk (any combo which results in 5 C, more milk makes them richer, more cream in milk, makes em creamier)
    4. Add anything or nothing.  Suggestions 1/2C brown sugar, 1/2C maple syrup, nuts, raisins, chopped up dried fruits, plums, apricots, etc.  1C Karo, 1/2 -1 C sugar
    5. Cook on Low overnight.  Ready in the morning.  Store in fridge and reheat in microwave.  Takes about 90 seconds to reheat a coffee mug of oats.  Probably about 8-10 servings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Re: Share your breakfast tips for back to school

This is not for everyday. For special days like when they have a game, exam, or even a long day; I like to give them something that really sticks to their ribs. That includes protien and carbohydrates. So I feed them this Pastrami Hash recipe.

My older boy gets hyper and loses concentration when he gets hungry, I find that a substantial breakfast like this helps him perform bette. Otherwise he is hungry before lunch.

Another thing I do to save time is that I make large batches of pancakes on the weeked and freeze them. I find that pancakes re-heat really well in the microwave.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

I realize that may last suggestion is not something that solves your problem on a regular basis. My favorite thing to do for both breakfast and lunch is to make stuff on the weekends that lasts 1-2 weeks.

My wife makes this Banana Nut Bread, which is very healthy and makes a satisfying breakfast. It re-heats very well in the toaster over or microwave if you like something warm in the morning. I love it with coffee, but my son has it with OJ.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bumpyt. Show bumpyt's posts

Couple of simple options:  you can replace sugary cereals with a fruit bowl consisting of strawberries, blueberries, apple, and banana with non or low fat milk.  Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and the combination satisfies that sweet tooth.  These fruits are pretty low in simple sugars which is critical in keeping a healthy diet.  You can also substitute the milk with a low-fat/non-fat yogurt or cottage cheese.  You can omit the cinammon when subbing yogurt or cottage cheese).  This one also works well for a snack.

Oatmeal is also a great and healthy option.  (Proteins, complex carbs).  To enhance the taste don"t forget to add the fruit and tasty cinnamon.

These are pretty simple to make and "taste great"!   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is our favorite in the wintertime. Quick, warm and stick-t-your-bones.

1/3 cup old fashioned oats, pinch of cinnamon, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup water (depending on how liquidly or soft you want it when done, you can add more water), some raisins or chopped dates - maybe a tablespoon - 3 dried apricots. Heat in microwave for 5 minutes on MEDIUM. Stir and let sit for a few minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup if you want, but it is not necessary. Have a glass of milk on the side and you are all set to go for the day.

This is for one person, and something the kids can make on their own.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OldMan - you mention freezing pancakes.  Great idea.  I wanted to add a tip.  Fiber One brand pancakes have way more fiber and protein than most brands and tend to keep a kid feeling full longer.

My favorite well balanced breakfast is yogurt parfait.  a low fat yogurt layered with low fat granola and fruit.  I use Chappaqua Brand granola and peaches, but of course, use what you like!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

AB and Old Man,
    I freeze left over waffles as well. Make a big batch, whenever I make them. Pack them in small ziplock bags - two to a bag. (Do the same with left over pancakes). Easy for anyone in the family to take out and pop in the toaster. Serve both with Maple Sirup and whatever fruit I have on hand.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

AB,

I like Fiber One stuff. I love their cereal and I like their bars. Actually the bars are a great breakfast on the go, but you have to be careful they are easy to eat, but give you lots of fiber Embarassed

I will try their pancakes.

Your yogurt parfait sounds like it would make as great dessert too! We can all use a little luxury in the morning.

I would have to fight the temptation to top it with whipped cream.

OMR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OMR - lol!!  NO, adding the whipped cream kind of defeats the purpose of low fat, high fiber, good for you stuff!!

Better you stick to yogurt!! Laughing

But thanks for the smile!!   :)