Share your recipes and tips

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Share your recipes and tips

Got a great recipe? Share it with us here or email it to us at recipebox@globe.com. Discuss and share tips below!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

Re: Share your recipes and tips

I have a ton of recipes, but here is a simple and healthy breakfast recipe:

1/2 C quick cooking oats
    1/2 C milk ( I use soy milk)
    1/2 C sliced fresh strawberries
    1 packet of sweetner, optional

Pour oats and milk into a bowl and let soak for a few minutes to soften.
    Add strawberries and sweetner. Mix and eat! HEALTHY AND DELISH!
    See this and more recipes on my blog!

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

sugar, did you mean hot milk?

I have a tip about garlic.  Don't just buy minced garlic, but get minced squeeze garlic.  I use Spice World; it comes in 9.5 and 20 oz bottles, but I can only find the smaller one, unfortunately.

Pros:  
    Quick - 1/10th of a second and garlic is in the dish
    Fresh - have any of you found a head of garlic not already sprouted (WAY old) or so bruised it smells bad in the store?
    Easy - For anyone less confident with their knife skills this is a good option to avoid mincing something small and sticky.  Both qualities make garlic hard to mince.
    Uniform - cut by a machine, each piece cooks the same
    NO cleanup - not just "easy," none whatsoever.  Flip top open, squeeze, flip top closed, return to fridge

Cons:
    Minced - Doesn't work for recipes that call for anything other than minced
    Kinda funny - People laugh at you if they see you squish in the garlic from a bottle

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Where do you buy this squeeze wonder?  It would be just for me, but I have never seen it. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I get it at Price Chopper in the produce section, and I think I've seen it at Big Y, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hm! None of those in our area - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

@kargiver -- I use cold milk... that is just my preference... I am sure you could use warm or hot milk.. let me know how it goes!!!Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

Here is another garlic tip to go with @kargivers:

when you are through handling garlic, rub your hands on a piece of silverware under lukewarm running water.  It will remove the garlic smell from your hands!
    I usually use a spoon since it has the largest surface area... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from howardjk. Show howardjk's posts

In Response to Re: Share your recipes and tips:
    [QUOTE]Here is another garlic tip to go with @kargivers: when you are through handling garlic, rub your hands on a piece of silverware under lukewarm running water.  It will remove the garlic smell from your hands! I usually use a spoon since it has the largest surface area... 
    Posted by sugarxo[/QUOTE]
    Yet more tips on garlic:
    1. Slice every garlic clove in half top to bottom. If there is a visible green sprout, remove it with the tip of a paring knife. It is quite easy to do and will avoid the harsh taste that less than completely fresh garlic has. I rarely find really fresh garlic anywhere!
    2. The spout on your kitchen sink is probably stainless steel. If so, rub your garlicky fingers on the spout while rinsing with cold water. Saves washing a spoon (not much, but hey it works too)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

2. The spout on your kitchen sink is probably stainless steel. If so, rub your garlicky fingers on the spout while rinsing with cold water. Saves washing a spoon (not much, but hey it works too)
    Posted by howardjk[/QUOTE]

I've done this for years after chopping onion.  So easy and really does eliminate the smell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I actually rub my hands on the sink itself.  It does work, and people actually PAY money for the "garlic soap" at William Sonoma.  It's just a soap shaped piece of stainless steel.  Um, really?!

Howard, good tip.  I guess I'm not the only one who can't find fresh garlic.  But, I still can't recommend the jarred or squeeze garlic highly enough.  It's perfectly fresh with no fuss.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

In Response to Re: Share your recipes and tips:
    [QUOTE]Kar, Where do you buy this squeeze wonder?  It would be just for me, but I have never seen it. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

hey Pingo -- All I can say about Squeeze garlic is, don't keep it in the bathroom near your toothpaste! hahaha!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Hummus, quick & easy [from Karen Hurd bean cookbook]

Spicy Garlic Hummus

1 14.5-oz. can garbanzo beans
    1 T. lemon juice or juice from ½ lemon
    ½ tsp. salt
    ¼-½ tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 Tbsp. olive oil

Drain and rinse beans in a colander.  Let sit a couple of minutes to drain well.  Place beans, lemon juice, salt, pepper flakes, and garlic in food processor.  Start processor and drizzle in oil while processing.  You may need to stop and scrape down the sides several times.  Add more oil if needed for desired consistency.  Use smaller amount of red pepper flakes for more mild hummus, and larger amount for more heated hummus.  Variation:  for Spicy Curry Hummus add 1 tsp. curry powder    www.karenhurd.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Hummus, quick & easy [from Karen Hurd bean cookbook]

Dog Lady,
    This is an awesome recipe. And healthy too. I add a lot more garlic though (3-4 cloves) and I use hot pepper sauce instead of the pepper flakes. Mix in better.
    Also, try to start with a 1/4 cup of raw or toasted Sesame seeds. Blend it with whatever amount of oil you use. You will make your own home made Tahini, which is one of the ingredients in true Hummus. Then proceed with your recipe. We like our hummus a bit on the smoother side, so I always keep some of the drained liquid from the beans and add to our liking.
    We use it in sandwiches, wraps and just for dips with some real wonderful chips, I found at Trader Joe's.
    If using as a dip, I make a small well in the middle and fill it up with Saraccha (sp?) sauce and drizzle a bit of Estra Olive Oil around it. Heaven!
    - Pingo

In Response to Hummus, quick & easy [from Karen Hurd bean cookbook]:
    [QUOTE]Spicy Garlic Hummus 1 14.5-oz. can garbanzo beans 1 T. lemon juice or juice from ½ lemon ½ tsp. salt ¼-½ tsp. red pepper flakes 1 clove garlic, minced 3 Tbsp. olive oil Drain and rinse beans in a colander.  Let sit a couple of minutes to drain well.  Place beans, lemon juice, salt, pepper flakes, and garlic in food processor.  Start processor and drizzle in oil while processing.  You may need to stop and scrape down the sides several times.  Add more oil if needed for desired consistency.  Use smaller amount of red pepper flakes for more mild hummus, and larger amount for more heated hummus.  Variation:  for  Spicy Curry Hummus  add 1 tsp. curry powder     www.karenhurd.com
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Garlic Mashed Potatoes....

Put 2+ Teaspoons of "minced" garlic in a 1/4 cup to 1/2+ cup milk in a JUICE GLASS
    Cover with plastic wrap, let sit in fridge - the longer the better

The oil from the garlic and milk will look like  oil and water - brownish/yellow oil - it's ok!

Make mashed potatoes as you normally would, pour milk/garlic through a strainer - DO NOT ADD MINCED GARLIC TO THE POTATOES! - JUST - the milk...

My kids love them!

Sections
Shortcuts