Spinach Chicken Delight with Chick Peas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Spinach Chicken Delight with Chick Peas

Some relatives recently visited us and made this Awsome Chicken Recipe. Not only is it tasty, but it is also extremely healthy.   The combination of chicken and spinach with the zestiness of the lime is a delight to the taste buds.  Add a little red rice or any rice and you are ready for dinner.

We prefer to soak dried chick peas instead of canned, but you can get good results with canned chick peas as well.

More...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Spinach Chicken Delight with Chick Peas

Old Man - I enjoyed reading this chicken recipe. But cooking with chickpeas all the time is one hour soaking and 30 minutes cooking them really enough? I don' t want to ruin my good chichen and spinach.
    I usually cook my chickpeas overnight in my slow cooker with plenty of water (no soaking). And they still have a bite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Interesting you should say that Pingo.  My dad actually pre-cooks the chick peas at a fast simmer for 20 minutes prior to putting them into the dish. That certainly works and may match your prefernce.

Lizabetti and I enjoy them on the al-dente side, it also perserves the natural flavor of the nuts..  If I was to adjust the recipe I would be more likely to soak them overnight rather than increase the cooking time. When I make Hommus I actually soak them for 2 days, then I toast them, then I add water to the food processor when I smash them.

The other variable is how dry the original chick peas are. I use Goya brand which is available in Market Basket. They come in a plastic bag, so they may not be as dry as some other types that you may buy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Old Man,
    You mean to say, that when you make Hummus - you only soak them and toast them and don't really COOK the peas? Hm!!!
    Well, I will be making your chicken recipe sometime this week. I have some slow cooked peas frozen and will use those. I usually cook a whole lot and then freeze them in batches. Will let you know, how it comes out.  Thanks again for this recipe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

I am glad that you will try the dish, you should always make changes to your own preferances. However, I don't like to ever cook chick peas in water. It loses flavor.

Hommus is an Arabic word for the nut that we call chick peas. Literally translated the Hommus means "Stuff that you toast", so that is way it is supposed to be cooked. At least that is my rationalizationCool You should use my recipe for hommus the toasted way some time, you will never goback. 

In fact last weekend, we made some crunchy chick peas to eat as snacks. We soaked them for several hours,  Lizabetti spiced them with hot paprika, salt, garlic powder, etc. The I put them in a perforated pan and placed them over the chimney of my stone oven while I was cooking my Labor Day BBQ.  They smoked for about 1.5 hours. When they were done they had the consistency of Corn-nuts, but with much more flavor. It is a great alternative to peanuts or chips.