What are they called?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: What are they called?

Ooh la la, RT, that sounds delicious!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Cazzilli?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tocchetti ("cubed potatoes" in Italian)?  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I found the photo in google/images, and I didn't see a recipe with it - do those look like yours?  I googled "tocchetti," but it seems to be something that doesn't have a universal recipe.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought of croquettes at first, but those are all made with whipped potato to my knowledge.  I don't think there's any such thing as a chunky croquette.

I think it's a variation of Tocchetti because it translates to "cubed potatoes," a  hallmark of your family's tradtional recipe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Sounds a bit like a hash-brown, or potatoe fritter.
    However, at the Italian festival of Saint-whoever in Little Italy in Boston North End there were loads of street stalls selling something like what you describe except the ball was not flattened, but remained spherical. There were even a choice of fillings. but those ones were fried. Tasted absolutely gross, mind you and cost like $5 each (rip-off to be expected in tourist areas, I know).
    Maybe someone from the North-End will know the name?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

RT--I asked a friend of mine who was raised in Sardinia, and teaches Italian.
    This was the response I got:
    Il nome della ricetta e`" Braciole di Patate" ed e` una specialita` della Calabria. Generalmente pero` hanno la forma di una polpetta.

So, "Braciole di Patate", although they are generally shaped like meatballs.
    Hope that helps!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You usually toss leftover mashed potatoes?  You know you can just reheat them, right?  Leftover mashed potatoes are better than the day you make them...imo.

Sections
Shortcuts