Cloth or disposable diapers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you use cloth or disposable diapers for your baby? What's your stance on the issue? Read our story on the debate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Are you serious? I don't have kids yet, but am trying to get pg. I don't have to research this issue at all. I will be using disposable diapers. In fact, I would be highly surprised to see anyone who does not have money to burn chose anything other than disposable diapers. If they didn't have the ability to hire a service to clean the used diapers, I can guarantee that the vast majority of these 'green families' would also be using disposable diapers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymom19. Show hockeymom19's posts

I used both for my sons. I think the service was "Dy Dee Diaper" or something close to that, but I believe they are out of service. This was 14 years ago, before everyone went green. To be honest, disposable was better and easier. I only used cloth for about 6 months for each son.

ALF72, best wishes for your pregnancy. Hang in there, it is worth it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BEAN. Show BEAN's posts

It's not even a question for me, disposable. We got so grossed out while training our son, we used to throw away the underwear that got really bad....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

[Quote]Are you serious? I don't have kids yet, but am trying to get pg. I don't have to research this issue at all. I will be using disposable diapers. In fact, I would be highly surprised to see anyone who does not have money to burn chose anything other than disposable diapers. If they didn't have the ability to hire a service to clean the used diapers, I can guarantee that the vast majority of these 'green families' would also be using disposable diapers.[/Quote]

Cloth can actually be less expensive overall depending on what you choose, but it is a greater up front cost.

I wash my cloth diapers at home its nots that bad or that dirty. It just takes a system like any other aspect of parenting or household care. Washing in my machine was my biggest fear about cloth, but pee is no big deal, you'll be washing that out of clothes anyway when your loved little pees on themselves in between diapers. For poop there are flushable liners, and then there isn't much left on the diaper. So that has been my experience so far. It takes a little work, but its worth it to me not to put big bags of diapers on the curb.

People make different decisions, just because one person thinks they have it all figured out doesn't mean that they've figured it out for everyone else. But you'll learn that as soon as you've actually had the baby.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CordeliaPotter. Show CordeliaPotter's posts

I wanted to use cloth, I really did. But the lady in the article is kidding herself if she thinks she can get by with six diaper covers. I went through six diaper covers a day! The cloth diaper would leak and the cloth edging of the diaper cover would get pee soaked and have to be washed. And the outfit would be wet too and have to be changed. It took me forever to get the diaper folded right to fit in the cover. I ended up using the old fashioned plastic pants over the diaper cover but baby's clothes are designed to fit over disposable diapers, not a big bulging cloth ones and dressing him was difficult. Plus, diaper covers were expensive! I could buy a whole pack of disposables for the cost of one cover. I tried several kinds of covers and scoured the consignment shops for them too. I was spending literally hours more a day dealing with the cloth diapers than disposables. Eventually I gave up and figured all those years of reusing shopping bags was going to make up for all the diapers going into the landfill. I know our mothers used cloth, they had no choice and they made it work. But life was too crazy as new mother and disposables were a godsend. In hindsight, I could see using disposables on little babies but moving into cloth when they got a little bigger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clairebear123. Show clairebear123's posts

Our first baby is due one week from today and we're planning on using cloth diapers. It astounds me how many people who have never attempted cloth diapering (or even researched it for that matter) are so quick to dismiss it.

For us, the cost of disposables far outweighed the cost of cloth diapers, especially if you factor in that cloth diapers can be reused for subsequent children. We also just didn't feel comfortable with all the chemicals in disposables and the waste they create. With that said, I would never judge another family for their choice to use disposables. You do what works for your family...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelatky. Show kelatky's posts

I decided to switch to cloth when my son was 3 months old and now at 7 months, I have no regrets. Cloth diapering can actually be fun and addictive! There are so many cute patterns and designs out there many made by work at home moms right here in the US. I love that I never have leaky diapers and I can change him as many times as I want and not have to worry about how much it's going to cost me. I don't have a diaper service and I really don't mind washing diapers. My machine is a front loader and only uses 5 gallons per wash. My electric bill has only gone up $5.00/month since I started cloth diapering.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Nobody has mentioned hemp diapers rather than cotton. a young friend of my who has a baby is using hemp. Hemp is very environmentally friendly - grows without fertilizer, little water, has a one-season growing cycle,etc. The fabric is strong and gets softer with wear; its not bleached, naturally a tan color. There is nothing here to irritate your baby's butt. My friend's baby is 11 mos old and very active, the diapers seemed to do the job and hemp is really environmentally sound.
    The only real issue with hemp is that growing it is (foolishly) currently banned in the U.S.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stacim. Show stacim's posts

i have two sons that were both in cloth diapers exclusively. It was not that difficult at all. I used a diaper service for the first few months, but then got prefolds with wraps that made it so easy. I rinsed them and threw them into my wash and often hung them to dry- an easy and fun task to do with a toddler.
    One important thing not mentioned in the article- the fact that children in cloth diapers tend to potty train much earlier than those in plastic. Probably because they can actually feel the sensations in cloth vs. not noticing in plastic. Both my guys were out of diapers before their second birthdays- most of their cohorts were still in plastic pull ups at ages 3 and some into age 4. I figure cloth cut my diapering years by almost half. Using cloth may be a bit more work in the beginning, but it definitely pays off when you don't have to change older toddlers.
    Also, studies have shown that some chemicals in disposables can cause respiratory diseases such as asthma. I was glad to avoid this risk by using cloth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andreasm. Show andreasm's posts

For my first child, I used a cloth diaper service and saved a bunch of trees. But think about all the water that was wasted, the pollution of the water and land and air and the fuel to get the diapers to and from my house.

For my second child I used disposable diapers and so the trees I saved the first time, well, they were gone in no time, and the landfill was saturated with dirty diapers.

You really can't win, so just do what's best for you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

I like the feel of disposables against my silky-smooth bum

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jstarr. Show jstarr's posts

<<If they didn't have the ability to hire a service to clean the used diapers, I can guarantee that the vast majority of these 'green families' would also be using disposable diapers>>

I cloth-diapered all three of my children and laundered the diapers at home. With my first child, I was a single mother so CDing was a sound economic choice as well as an environmentally responsible one for me. Really once you get used to it laundering cloth diapers isn't a big deal and just becomes part of your routine. CDs are so good for your baby's skin, the only time one of them got diaper rash was when I switched to disposables 24/7 when I had a broken arm and couldn't handle the pins.

My kids did wear disposables the two days a week that they were in day care as the center would not accommodate CDs per their infectious disease program. My husband WOULD NOT do CDs at all so they also wore disposables when he was in charge, but overall about 75% of the time they were in CDs. I just can't wrap my head around throwing all that money away on disposables when you can just buy 2-3 dozen CDs, some diaper pants and pins or wraps and be done with it.

Jen

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]

Who uses diaper services? I can't afford something like that. I don't even buy cheapy cloth diapers and I'm still saving more money that you will with disposibles.[/Quote]

Everyone I know who uses cloth diapers uses a service. I also know a bunch of moms who use disposable. I was in disposable diapers as a child, as were my sisters, and we all lived. As did all the kids whose diapers I changed in the course of my life. But of course b/c I don't have kids of my own yet yet, I clearly know nothing. I will be using disposable diapers, using formula and staying home w/ my kids. I don't need to actually have given birth to a child yet to know that I am going to do this. Apparently, I do need to have given birth though, to be able to state a personal opinion about child rearing and not have 'oh, but you don't have a kid yet, so you have no idea' statements shoved in my face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CordeliaPotter. Show CordeliaPotter's posts

The bum genius and fuzzy buns brands weren't around when I had my kids. They look great but are expensive! $16 each for the bum genius and $19 for the fuzzi buns. Is it really economical to spend that much when they outgrow them so fast? Somebody that has done the math want to comment on that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Not-really-bob here again. The BumGenius diapers are one-size - they grow with your kid and will likely (though not always) fit for a long time. Many moms buy used diapers - and that may not be for everyone, but it is a solution for some (I'm sure the trolls will have a LOT of fun with that). Using prefolds with diaper covers is a very inexpensive solution as well. There really is no ideal solution in this debate - disposables are great for some families, cloth is great for some. I find cloth to be less work, less money over time, more comfortable for my child, and more interesting. And if you factor in the water used to make the disposables, well, I personally think cloth does come out greener, at least in my mind - though that's not why I use them. And I see someone trying to be incendiary up there with her awesome choices and well, I'm not even going to have that sort of debate, tempting as it is, because what's the point?[/Quote]

Actually, I wasn't trying to be incendiary or start a debate. I was simply stating what I planned to do after my child was conceived and born. I don't think I need to have a child in hand, so to speak, before being able to make intelligent decisions regarding what to put on his or her butt, in his or her tummy, or to stay home and take care of him or her. Obviously, you think that cloth diapers and breastfeeding are the only way to go - otherwise you would not have found my simple statement incendiary. I made my decisions based on what my husband and I had/did when we were children - which happens to be disposable diapers, formula and SAHMs. It was good enough for us, so it will be good enough for our kids, should we be blessed w/ them. It's just taking forever to get pg.

BTW, there are such things as biodegradable disposable diapers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]ALF72, things have changed ALOT since we were kids. Did you know that kids who are breastfed average a 10 point higher IQ? They have less allergies and asthma. Their risk for SIDS is lower, less obesity etc. Formula was standard when we were kids because people didn't know better. How can you decide what's right for you and make an "intelligent decision" if you haven't researched the facts?[/Quote]

Last I checked, babies are still babies. And I never said I hadn't researched the issue of formula v. breastmilk, just that I didn't need to research the issue of cloth v. disposable diapers. The study re breastfed kids being supposedly smarter fully acknowledges that the parents who breastfeed tend to be more educated, so I think the intelligence level of the kids in the study is not due solely to fact that they are being fed breastmilk. My husband and I each have 3 advanced degrees from excellent schools so I think our kids will be reasonably intelligent. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurencita. Show laurencita's posts

I use disposables. I have considered coth but I work about 40 hours a week and the laundering would probably take more time away from my children. But I applaud those who do use cloth and launder them from home. I believe it is better for the environment in the end.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lolasmamma. Show lolasmamma's posts

With three boys under the age of three (the younger are twins), I couldn't even conceive of the work involved with cloth diapering, though I know a few families who do it well and love it. For me, it's all I can do to get a load of regular laundry done, nevermind one full of poopie diapers. Disposable does have its advantages in that there's less hot water/fossil fuel used in cleaning however we all know the merits of that are extremely debatable (hence, this forum).

I do think I will purchase a few CDs and try them out though. Any recommendations?Do I have to use pins? Because that part doesn't sit well with me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BEAN. Show BEAN's posts

[Quote]Our first baby is due one week from today and we're planning on using cloth diapers. It astounds me how many people who have never attempted cloth diapering (or even researched it for that matter) are so quick to dismiss it.

For us, the cost of disposables far outweighed the cost of cloth diapers, especially if you factor in that cloth diapers can be reused for subsequent children. We also just didn't feel comfortable with all the chemicals in disposables and the waste they create. With that said, I would never judge another family for their choice to use disposables. You do what works for your family...[/Quote]

I wonder if you will be singing the same tune once your baby is here and you've had experience.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clairebear123. Show clairebear123's posts

[Quote]With three boys under the age of three (the younger are twins), I couldn't even conceive of the work involved with cloth diapering, though I know a few families who do it well and love it. For me, it's all I can do to get a load of regular laundry done, nevermind one full of poopie diapers. Disposable does have its advantages in that there's less hot water/fossil fuel used in cleaning however we all know the merits of that are extremely debatable (hence, this forum).

I do think I will purchase a few CDs and try them out though. Any recommendations?Do I have to use pins? Because that part doesn't sit well with me.[/Quote]

Definitely check out bumGenius 3.0 because you will be able to use them on all your boys (they're adjustable). They have velcro-type closures, so no pins either. The pre-folds do require some sort of fastener, but I doubt anyone uses pins any more. Check out Snappis fasteners...They're awesome.

A lot of the cloth diapering sites have "try it" kits where you can get a few different kinds to see what works for you. I like cottonbabies.com and jilliansdrawers.com

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from springandsummer. Show springandsummer's posts

I cloth diapered my two boys with prefolds and diaper pins, and my daughter-in-law is now using fuzzybuns to diaper my Gdaughter. What an improvement in 25 years!! Even though the initial cost seems high at $16-19 each, in the long run they are way cheaper. She would have spent easily 5 times more over the last year in disposables. The new cloth diapers are so much easier to use than the dydee diapers I used. The little covers are wool lined, and the outsides are pretty patterns - you don't have to cover your kid in Elmo or Disney Babies like you do with the disposables. We've never had a leak or wet clothing. She's never had a diaper rash either (but neither did my boys, and there is no reason for any baby to have one if mom changes their diapers - cloth or disposable - regularly). They fit nicely under her clothing - not as bulky as the old prefolds.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelatky. Show kelatky's posts

Plus to wash these cloth diapers you cant just use plain water! You have to use some kind of soap, but let me guess it will be organic soap right? Well at that point you might as well use regular diapers and save yourself the money.

Actually, the soap I use is all natural and it only costs me 15 cents a load. Compare that to Tide, which costs 40 cents per load.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEDN07. Show WEDN07's posts

I agree with clairebear 100%. We switched from disposables to cloth and after using them for a month I cannot for the life of me understand why people still use disposable diapers. I don't use a diaper service. I launder them myself at home and I do a load every other day. This only adds an extra 3 loads of laundry a week and I use a HE washing machine so it cuts down on the water use as well. I have to do one rinse to get all the soiling off, then a hot wash with an extra rinse. That's it. I don't have to run a wash cycle 4 times. When it is nice out, I line dry them and machine dry them for 5 minutes to fluff them up.

I have a stash of bumGenius All-In-One, bumGenius Pocket Diapers, Pocket Change Pocket Diapers and Mommy's Touch All-In-One. I have about 18 diapers that cost me less than $400. That is all I have to buy (if you have a newborn you will need a few more). I didn't start cloth diapering until my son had been home for almost two months and I spent half that amount on disposables for that short amount of time. It saves money and is better for the environment.

Every disposable diaper that has ever been made is sitting in a landfill somewhere. The diapers I tossed in the trash when my little one came home will still be sitting in a landfill when my great-great-great grandkids have kids. It's not for everybody, but for me it is a no-brainer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEDN07. Show WEDN07's posts

I noticed a few people who used the excuse "our parents did it to us and we lived". Our parents also put us to sleep on our belly because they were told to and the SIDS rate was 50% higher. There are about 100 different things that our parents did to us that we have found are dangerous to children/babies and they have all been phased out. This might be the next thing that you choose to ignore that in 40 years they say was detrimental to the health of infants and our kids will be doing it differently.

Not judging anyone who made this remark and I do agree that a parent has the right to choose whether they want to breastfeed/formula feed, SAH or work, cloth diaper or disposable diaper. I am a parent who chose the SAH, breastfeed, cloth diaper route and I am happy I am doing something to leave less of a footprint on the Earth and save money at the same time.