Green burials

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elleda. Show Elleda's posts

Green burials

I think it's a great idea!  Actually, I've already made it know to my family that a green burial is what I want.  I've seen a couple of articles about green burial sites and they are beautiful and quite a contrast to eery cemeteries with cold grave stones!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Green burials

What is a green burial?  I always thought cremation, with ashes scattered,  or else in a small natural (stone,pottery) containers  stored/buried deep en masse to take little room  unlike a cemetary, was best.
    What besides eliminating both caskets,  and need for major amounts of space over time, is more environmentally friendly?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Green burials

Although some aspects of it are more environmental than regular burials, cremation is actually not necessarily the most environmentally friendly option. The process uses an enormous amount of energy (it takes several hours to cremate a body) and releases green house gases, lead, and mercury.

A more environmentally friendly burial would include not embalming the body and also caskets that are not made of wood treated to prevent it from biodegrading. Basically, letting bodies decompose the way nature intended. As elleda mentions, green burial sites are becoming more popular across the country.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Green burials

Do these green burial sites still reserve a space for each body, for years?  Anyone who needs to think about  this problem need only head S to NYC - is it Yonkers you are passing through when traffic leaves you stuck in the middle of miles of huge cemetary, just outside the population center.  As far as the eye can see.
         Lead  and  mercury are not present in much quantity in bodies, they come from an incomplete or poorly designed process of cremation.  Current crematoriums are very focused on small numbers of bodies, keeping each separate from others,  and not using the heat for any other purpose.    They are used on demand, in a rush to meet a funeral schedule often,  with no effort used to make sure of burning things that need to be discarded.  So providing the energy has been costly.  But it need not be so.
        There could be more intelligent design.  Combine firing pottery, ceramics, or some other industrial use of the heat,  and burning materials we need to be rid of, with clean scrubbing design to avoid releasing much to the air and water.
         Just using long time individual decomposable wood caskets in individual plots kept for a long time  is a minimal step.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Green burials

"not using the heat for any other purpose"

What, you want to be green by burning dead bodies for heat, because it is "carbon neutral"?

That line made me shudder....environmental wackiness gone wild...

Reminds one of the line in the first movie to wack the extreme treehuggers: Charlton Heston: "Soylent Green is ... People!!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Green burials

This is what I have found for green burial locations.
    This also appears to be a good resource.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrittyWang. Show KrittyWang's posts

Re: Green burials

CryWhat is green burial? I think the definition is really different from people to people.I come from China, I know the traditional Chinese burial is really not environment-friendly.In the burial there is always fireworks which is made of powder and paper, and I think it really contaminated the environment.And according to Chinese Tradition we have to burn the paper houses and furniture to the decease people.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Green burials:
    [QUOTE]This is what I have found for green burial locations . This also appears to be a good resource .
    Posted by circles82[/QUOTE]

Circles!!  Pingo asked about you on page 8 or 9, I think, of Confidential Chats.  We hope you are doing well.

I always wondered about embalming and slow degrading caskets; what's the point other than for a wake (embalming, of course)....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Feeding the roses seems appropriate in England.