Green Communities Act and Wind Energy Siting Reform Act -Another 40 B Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from honest. Show honest's posts

Green Communities Act and Wind Energy Siting Reform Act -Another 40 B Plan

The state of Massachusetts through the Green Communities Act and the Wind Energy Siting Reform Act  is about to set standards for responsible development of land-based commercial wind turbines. The current standards for setbacks are the least protective in the world.

Many of the communities south of Boston have seen concerned citizens' groups spring up in protest of the placement of commercial wind turbines too close to residential property. The main concerns are ice throw, shadow flicker as the sun rises and sets (the blades of the turbines cause a flickering in the windows of homes), airplane night warning strobe lights, noise issues, setbacks in case the blades break away, and in general the placement of a commercial product in residential-zoned locations.

Massachusetts, through the new legislation, chooses to redefine property rights through the Green Communities Act.

Another issue is, should residential property owners be compensated for parts of their previously held rights? Should there be "just compensation" for lost property rights when new regulations are enforced?

The state needs to protect individuals from bearing the burdens imposed by the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment of the Constitution. A quote from this amendment is: "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." The placement of commercial wind turbines in residential locations by zoning change or special permit is a form of intervention called a "police power," or placing restrictions on land use activities that could be injurious to the health, morals and safety of the community.

The state has an objective of a certain percentage of renewable energy by the year 2010. The objective requires a certain percentage of land-based wind turbines in the formula. The installation of these land-based turbines as high as a 10-story building intrudes in residents' backyards. These residents are commonly called NIMBYs, "not in my back yard."

The regulations are creating a large group or class of people within the state that have the same loss of property rights. These residents have a bundle of rights, and that bundle is made up of sticks. The sticks in that bundle belong to the homeowners. How does the state propose to compensate this entire class of people who bought their homes in good faith with their life savings and are now being called NIMBYs?
    Does this act look like another 40 B housing plan?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Green Communities Act and Wind Energy Siting Reform Act -Another 40 B Plan

Honest, I can certainly understand your concern. No one wants a 10 foot story tall wind turbine in ones back yard. However, I think people is this country make a big deal about something, they do not know what to expect from.
    Go to Europe, and you will find wind turbines many many places. Anywhere there is a good wind speed, you will find a couple or 10. They are not so disastrous as people here think they are. One can learn to live with them.
    Our electric bill has gone through the roof. If I could save that chunk of money, I would not mind to have one in my back yard. However, the best place to have them is out in the open - out in the ocean. And it is such a shame this state has to deal with so much red tape and legislation, that we do not already have them. There are so many places along our coast line, that would be a perfect place for them.
    Not all wind turbines has to be 10 stories high. They come in all sizes, depending on where they are placed. Many farmers in Denmark have their very own turbine - or they share one with one or two neighbors.
    When you fly in over Copenhagen for example, you will see hundreds of wind turbines in the water between Sweden and Denmark. It is actually a beautiful sight. They have been there for decades. One cannot see them from land, unless it is a very clear day and you use binoculars. And then you will only see the flickering of the light when the sun hits the blades.
    As far as loosing property rights, I am sure something can be done about that. I will never believe, the state will just come and place a turbine right where your child' s swing set is with out your consent.
    I am all for going green and I do my part as much as I can in my home and my office. But it really bothers me, that many other people do not care.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: Green Communities Act and Wind Energy Siting Reform Act -Another 40 B Plan

Oftentimes you will hear about the Audubon Society's complaints about injuring birdlife with wind farms.
    How well will the birds do if the climate changes?
    I can think of no source of power which does not injure a living thing.Even solar power would give some animals fits if the reflections or heat itself were exposed to animal life.