Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dennehypr. Show dennehypr's posts

Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day

For anyone interested in saving money and making your wash a little greener, Tide Coldwater suggests you consider washing your laundry in cold water to save energy and cut down on household utility costs - heating water can account for up to 80 percent of the energy used per washload in the US. It can save you $63 (avg) in energy costs per year, and is a simple step you can take to make a difference this Earth Day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day

I suggest holding off on washing towels and underwear on Earth Day if you're going to only wash in cold water.  Saving $63 a year is not worth wearing fecal bacteria to me.

"Charles Gerba, a professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, has done extensive research on the germs that fester in our washing machines.  'If you wash a load of just underwear, there will be about 100 million E. coli in the wash water, and they can be transmitted to the next load of laundry,' Gerba said....'Most of the hot water people use is not hot enough. You need water that's between 140 and 150 degrees to kill germs,' said Tierno. If you're using cold water, Gerba recommends washing your hands after you handle wet clothes, especially if you're washing children's clothes."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day

Everyone knows hot water kills germs, the only thing I wash in cold is delicates, otherwise at least warm,  always hot if there is visible dirt or especially for thrift shop finds!   But I hang outside whenever the weather permits, don't have a dryer, sunlight kills germs too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anyone saving $63/year by washing in cold all the time apparently either doesn't know or doesn't care about wearing fecal bacteria.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Detergents kill bacteria. They are surfactants that explode cellular plasma membranes. Heating does kill too, obviously. As does drying the laundry (bugs need water to survive), either naturally or with yet another machine. I hope nobody here wears wet clothing around. 
    But I suppose it's like a couple that uses condoms and the pill to be double sure of no "contaminations" ruining their lives. More precautions are better than fewer, I guess. 
    Personally I'd keep the hot water but stop using a dryer - those things just eat up dollars in energy costs. Maybe hang more clothes to dry on hangers instead of using an iron on them also saves $$. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

If you are worried about contaminating bugs I assume you all use UV-sterilisers on your toothbrushes everyday? And microwave your dish-washing sponges before use?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day:
    If you are worried about contaminating bugs I assume you all use UV-sterilisers on your toothbrushes everyday? And microwave your dish-washing sponges before use?
    Posted by plasko

I agree wth you about getting rid of the dryers! I love the way clothes smell fresh off the line.  Although, not an option for a lot of apartment/condo dwellers.  I don't own a microwave or a dishwasher!  Less is more,  in my opinion.  Only use the air conditioner when I absolutely have to.  Same thing with the heat!  Very rarely use an iron.  I try to keep it simple!  However I refuse to give up hot water!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day:
    Detergents kill bacteria. They are surfactants that explode cellular plasma membranes. Heating does kill too, obviously. As does drying the laundry (bugs need water to survive), either naturally or with yet another machine. I hope nobody here wears wet clothing around.  But I suppose it's like a couple that uses condoms and the pill to be double sure of no "contaminations" ruining their lives. More precautions are better than fewer, I guess.  Personally I'd keep the hot water but stop using a dryer - those things just eat up dollars in energy costs. Maybe hang more clothes to dry on hangers instead of using an iron on them also saves $$. 
    Posted by plasko

Detergent in cold water isn't enough to kill germs (although, bleach is), and someone has to handle the wet clothes after being washed in cold water without bleach.  And, if you hang them inside without the benefit of the UV sun rays, you've got dirty clothes that only look and smell clean.  One would assume they are clean and probably wouldn't wash their hands because they handled wet "clean" clothes.

All I was saying was that it's worth $63 a YEAR for me to know my clothes are much cleaner than they would be if I had saved $63 by washing 100% in cold water.  I'm not a germaphobe or anything, I'd just rather save that much money a year by some other means.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I know I have sunshine, not sure about the uv rays, I assume I have them!  I use bleach once in a while (not a lot).  I haven't dropped dead yet!  Maybe I'm just lucky as far as this stuff goes!   Anything is better than those community Laundromats some people have to use!  Although I have used community Laundromats in the past and nothing bad happened to me or anyone I know!  I'm just not fond of airing my dirty laundry in public!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you dry your clothes in the sun it's as effective as using bleach against germs, dl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Wow, we need an episode of mythbusters to sort out these delusions. 
    I thought bleach was for making things whiter, regarding laundry, not for killing bacteria?
    You don't need sun to dry clothes, wind is perfectly fine. Its the fact that they are DRY, and not the mechanism getting them there that kills bacteria. Bugs need water in which to live, dessicate them and they are toast. UV could help, but the amounts required to kill bacteria would make your clothes lose their color. 
    I assume the cold-water detergents (an assumption, remember) use enzymes to assist with cleaning too, including lipases that will degrade bacterial cell walls. Not sure if its true in this country though. These enzymes deactivate at high temperatures so then can't assist with cleaning the fabrics. 
    Where bacteria are concerned the biggest problem will be in dirty clothes (eg heavy food stains not removed), resulting in more potential food for new bugs to grow on when you next wear it and presumably sweat into it/get rained on/drool on/high humidity weather etc. 
    As for becoming contaminated when picking up laundry from the machine. I'd say it is hypothetically possible in a worst-case-scenario sort of way, but you'd have more chance of being killed by soil bacteria when gardening just to put it into perspective. Nobody wants to bleach their soil, I hope!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Well in defense of bleach, last I heard it was the only thing that killed the hiv virus that may be lingering on counter tops, needles etc, hopefully that isn't something most of us have to be concerned about.   It is the ultimate germ killer for cleaning the bathroom/toilet bowl/tub, floors etc on a routine basis (once a week or at least once a month) just to be safe, you never know what weird bugs are around!   But the laundry...I'm good with hot water, detergent, sunlight, wind, fresh air or heat! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We'll have to agree to disagree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Well in defense of bleach, last I heard it was the only thing that killed the hiv virus that may be lingering on counter tops, needles etc, hopefully that isn't something most of us have to be concerned about.   It is the ultimate germ killer for cleaning the bathroom/toilet bowl/tub, floors etc on a routine basis (once a week or at least once a month) just to be safe, you never know what weird bugs are around!   But the laundry...I'm good with hot water, detergent, sunlight, wind, fresh air or heat! 
    Posted by dog-lady

And how exactly does the HIV virus get onto your counter tops, dog-lady?
    In all seriousness the HIV virus is a retrovirus. It oxidises when exposed to AIR within 5-10 seconds its toast. No bleach required, just good old oxygen. But still, use bleach to kill other bugs for sure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

You never know!  Seriously, it is a good germ killer and everything smells so clean afterward.  Maybe part of it is psychological!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Sorry, I'll stick to my hot water, dryer, dishwasher and A/C. 

Hot water does kill germs, along with bleach.  I've never hung my clothes out to dry, as I don't want it hanging in my yard, however, I have felt clothes/towels that have been and they are not soft.

I also feel dishes are much cleaner after going through the dishwasher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

There are so many pollutants in the air now, that what I used to believe about hanging clothes on the line "in the fresh air", no longer holds true.  Don't know if it is an old wives tale, seems to me now that it probably is/was, but my mother's generaton believed that hanging sheets out on the line overnight whitened them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

So this is how far the forums have declined - poopla talk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

So this is how far the forums have declined - poopla talk.
    Posted by reindeergirl

Fraid so, the boards have been a little on the "fluff" side of things. No topics with any meat in them anymore (cooking aside, lol!). Whatever happened to chats about murders, rapes, domestic violence, euthanasia, adoption, orgies, teen bullying, etc etc. All we get thesedays are recipes and gardening! Even laundry now! When did everyone get so lame? What happened to Roger, he was awesome for interesting topics. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I was wondering what happened to RT,  I miss his posts, hopefully he'll be back soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Maybe he got a GF, and is now too busy in the real world? Hope so. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In Response to Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day : Fraid so, the boards have been a little on the "fluff" side of things. No topics with any meat in them anymore (cooking aside, lol!). Whatever happened to chats about murders, rapes, domestic violence, euthanasia, adoption, orgies, teen bullying, etc etc. All we get thesedays are recipes and gardening! Even laundry now! When did everyone get so lame? What happened to Roger, he was awesome for interesting topics. 
    Posted by plasko

Well, we can still get all that morbid information in the news.  Sometimes it is good to step away from all of those horrible things and just have a nice, light, uplifting conversation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Plasko, why don't you start a new thread with those topics instead of calling this one lame?  Seems simple enough to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Well amber, it appears that I do not have my finger on the "pulse" of the people here. Were I to start some topics I feel they would probably be ignored, as has happened previously. So, I await something decent to pop-up so I can jump in to play. Rarely happens though. That's why we need a person from the "clique" to start a topic, then all will feel compelled to keep it rolling. I feel a lot of what drives a topic forward is who posts the original post, rather than the topic itself. 
    Personal bias plays a big role in these things, you know. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Green laundry - take a load off: switch to cold water washing this Earth Day : Well, we can still get all that morbid information in the news.  Sometimes it is good to step away from all of those horrible things and just have a nice, light, uplifting conversation.
    Posted by princess-cal

I wouldn't say adoption was horrible, quite the reverse in being uplifting. 

Sections
Shortcuts