Greening your home?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from engfant. Show engfant's posts

Greening your home?

I thought I was with the CLF lamps but now that I've used them and seen that the technology is just NOTHING CLOSE TO WHAT THEY CLAIM TO BE I've decided to rethink the conversion over to them.

The ONLY way they are better than the traditional bulb is that they use less power. IN EVERY OTHER ASPECT they are a HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT on the environment.

And I can fix the energy consumption problem of the 100 year old bulb....SHUT IT OFF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from David-Sears. Show David-Sears's posts

Greening your home?

Marketing has certainly made out CLF lamps to be quite a bit better than they are but they are a hugh leap forward from the old lamps. As much as I try, I have a hard time using the CLF as primary lights. They make the spaces feel tired and depressing and after a long day I need a little more than they have to offer. I have found they work out well in closets and so that's something.

I think the reference "green" gets to be used so generally and thoughtlessly through marketing that the untimate goal isn't really considered. With the exception of the building industry, there is no standard for "green".

The idea of "greening your home" to me seems to relate to conserving resources and protecting the enviroment and as individuals and consumers we have a lot of choices. I think the obvious is choosing to buy things for our home that are organic or sustainably grown but the less obvious is living and buying in ways that reduce further consuption of materials.

There are a lot of things in our life that we buy with the intention of buying agian and it's not necessary- and it's not green. And it's not saticfying. Choosing to shop for clothing, furniture,... of poor quality goes against "green" principles and ultimately short changes your personal enviroment. Your personal space isn't what is could be and the purchases become decisions that you spent time making need to be visited that much sooner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from khs22. Show khs22's posts

Greening your home?

If you power your home with renewable energy - wind, solar, geothermal, other - please add it to the growing national map at www.buildbabybuild.net/blog/residentialmap

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Invinsible1. Show Invinsible1's posts

Greening your home?

Yeah. I've started taxing myself on my carbon emissions. That way, I'll help save the planet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Greening your home?

If you have NStar as your utility provider, you can now choose to have your energy either come from wind or solar farms, or contribute to them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Greening your home?

You can also make sure all your electronics are plugged into a surge protector, so that you can turn off the surge protector before bed and before leaving the house, thus eliminating your "phantom drain". This includes cell phone chargers, which continue to draw electricity even when not charging a phone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Greening your home?

well, not sure how much this helps, but we wash our "normal" wash clothes on cold instead of the default of warm. And, we have the spiral light bulbs. I try to bundle errands so I don't waste gas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RuebenJames. Show RuebenJames's posts

Re: Greening your home?

Years ago when I was a kid if we wanted mercury with our tuna fish we had to add it.  Then later the tuna came with mercury in the can.  It was then said mercury was bad for one's health so a drive was on to get rid of mercury everywhere.  Recently I purchased some of those new fangled Green Bulbs and was very surprised they contained mercury.  In the fine Russian print that came with the bulbs it advised getting expert advice if one inadvertantly smashed a bulb of this type.
    Anyone know anything about this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ruben, we have been worried about this as well. The new bulbs do contain mercury, so we decided to forego them, even though they would save us a bundle. I just don't understand, how these bulbs could pass muster in this day and age.
    What will you do if you drop and break one? Mercury all over the floor? Does not sound healthy to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Ruben, we have been worried about this as well. The new bulbs do contain mercury, so we decided to forego them, even though they would save us a bundle. I just don't understand, how these bulbs could pass muster in this day and age. What will you do if you drop and break one? Mercury all over the floor? Does not sound healthy to me.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that about our bulbs!  Man, does everything have to have a dark side?  No pun intended.

pingo, did you ever get the Vapo steam cleaner?  I clean our sealed wood floors (pine with high gloss poly) with that with no cleaning products.  It just stopped working recently, and when I emailed the company I expected to be ignored because it is a few years old, but they promptly responded with a number of potential causes and how to fix them.  It was clogged (hard well water), and DH blew it out with the air compressor.  Works like new.  They didn't even TRY to sell me another one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoebe01. Show Phoebe01's posts

We have done a number of things including increasing our recycling, buy organic foods and cleaning products.

For our children (and my baby especially) we are very careful.  For example we went with organicKidz stainless steel baby bottles instead of plastic/ glass.  We tried glass, but they shattered and we do not trust plastic enough, no matter what they say.  The organicKidz bottles are great!  They clean easily, are unbreakable and stainless steel is non toxic and recyclable and BPA Free.  Best of all I understand that the company is coming out with sippy cup and sports bottle attachments, so we can keep using the bottles and do not have to buy new cups etc as our son gets older!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: Greening your home?Generators and Electification

New England has alot of wind and small amounts of sunshine in the winter.
    Thus your township might consider a windfarm for  your heating and refrigeration systems.
    This way the township could get cost savings and make the real estate prices more attractive and sound which means the money you could save in energy costs could offset the property tax increases.
    The other alternative for Maine is a tidal power system which would be expensive but unseen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeadBone. Show HeadBone's posts

The Truth about CFLs:

1. The mercury they contain is a small fraction of the extra mercury that would get released into the environment from coal-fired power plants if you used the old incandescent bulbs instead.

2. Furthermore, those coal-fired plants release the mercury into the environment, whereas the mercury in a CFL can be re-used for new CFLs if you dispose of them properly. Contact your local town or city hall.

3. The quality of the light is a matter of what you're used to. I use full-spectrum CFLs and after about 6 months of using them I came to prefer the type of light they give.

4. Because of the mercury, CFLs are bad for the environment if they wear out too fast due to frequently turning them on and off. The rule of thumb is 15 minutes. For lights that you use for less than 15 minutes, use the old incandescents.

In my house 80% of the light bulbs are incandescent, but 98% of my actual light bulb hours are CFLs and tube fluorescents.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yeah, CFL bulbs the only "consumer" product where legislation was passed by YOUR government that FORCES you to purchase the item!

The "regular" bulbs are going by way of the DoDo....I found a chart that outlines the GOVERNMENT phase out of the regular bulbs...I think by 2015 all bulbs will be NAZI CFL's....

Welcome to my country COMRADE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRTi584pJE

Surprised

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

NOTE: It is ILLEGAL to dispose of CFL bulbs with your household trash! Why? MERCURY!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Some governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting. The aim is to encourage the use and technological development of more energy-efficient lighting alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamp (CFLs) and LED lamps. Brazil and Venezuela started to phase them out in 2005,[1] and the European Union, Switzerland,[2] and Australia[3] started to phase them out in 2009.[4] Likewise, other nations are planning scheduled phase-outs: Argentina,[5] Russia, and Canada in 2012,[6] and the United States and Malaysia in 2014.[7]

The phase-out has been criticized by some consumer groups and social welfare organizations for the extra costs imposed on the public by government dictat[citation needed], as well as for the light quality of the incandescent lamps not matched by the alternative technologies.[citation needed] There are also environmental concerns over the potential for mercury pollution from some alternatives to incandescent light bulbs, notably compact fluorescent lamps.