Dented Cans, Public Opinion Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dented Cans, Public Opinion Poll

I always avoid buying dented cans at the grocery store for fear of botulism, a fear instilled in me by my grandmother's admonition about that being a risk for it.  But, am using one today that came in a 12-pack I ordered from Amazon.  Too expensive to toss, and what a pain to return it!  So, here goes nothin'.

How do you feel about dented canned goods? (This is not a request for help with google.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AppDev. Show AppDev's posts

Avoid food in cans

It would be wiser to avoid all food in cans. Food cans in the U.S. and Western Europe are almost all lined with epoxy resins, which leach large amounts of bisphenol A (BPA) into the food they contain--an endocrine disrupter also associated with cancers in laboratory animals. Japan's government has begun a program of substituting polyethylene terephthalate (PET) liners but has yet to show that they are effective in blocking metal corrosion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dented Cans, Public Opinion Poll

I buy BPA free cans...and everything else.  My aunt has been a chiropractor for 30 years and has been anti-plastic in food containers long before it became common knowledge to avoid it.  I didn't know to avoid cans, though, until recently, but Eden Organics is what I use now that I do know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I avoid canned foods as much as possible...but what can you do?    A piece of fresh fish costs about $7,   a can of tuna $1.29!    I don't think anyone really prefers canned food, sometimes it's all you can afford.   I go with frozen when I can.   There are only so many things you can worry about!   For those of you that have no fear of dented cans, check out the mark-down section of your supermarket!           PS:  Organic products are more expensive, usually not an option for people on a fixed income.  The majority of food given out at food pantries is canned, I don't hear those people worrying about a dent or two, so people can always donate items if they wish.  Local libraries and Post Offices often have donation bins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I were avoiding the can for fear of botulism I wouldn't donate it so someone else could risk getting botulism instead of me.  If they don't mind eating food from dented cans they can get them from somewhere else; I donate cans I'd feel comfortable eating out of myself.  Which is why "give it to someone else" isn't in the poll - I would hope (and assumed, actually) that anyone who wasn't eating them purely because of the risk of botulism wouldn't give them away and cross their fingers for the recipients regardless of whether the recipients, possibly out of ignorance of the risk, would eat them.

...which brings us to the orginal subject, dented cans and the risk of botulism

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I'd be fearful of botulism if the can appeared swollen or bulging or was severely dented. A little dent in something that was shipped wouldn't bother me enough, unless something else looked off (smell or appearance).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

The botulism-from-dented-cans thing is urban legend from the early 1900s.

You don't get botulism from dented cans.  Cans that have the botulism bacteria in them swell from the pressure that builds within the can when the bacteria do their thing.

Dishonest store owners who found swollen cans on their shelves smacked the cans with hammers (or on the floor) to try to hide the swelling.  That's where the original dents came from.  As a result, when someone went grocery shopping circa 1910 and found dented cans, it was a clue that the shop owner was trying to pass off bad food and the dented can was to be avoided.

The risk of getting botulism from fresh fruits/veggies grown in California is hundreds of times higher than getting it from commercially canned foods. Botulism is fairly rare to begin with but less than 7% of cases have anything to do with commercially packed foods (and that includes all packaging types, not just cans).

That said, if a can is dented in the right places (like on a seam) it isn't going to "cause botulism" (the botulism bacteria can't grow/reproduce if air is present)  but it might allow any number of other nasty things into the can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jim - good to see you, again, and what cool info about the unscrupulous store owners.  Makes me sad my grandmother is gone; she was always happy to have faulty thinking corrected; she loved to learn new things.  Miss her...   Anyway, thanks.  It all makes sense now - I always figured the can should be bloated, but she was so certain (and, honestly, she was hardly ever wrong) that we should avoid them.

And, wdywn, good info there, too.  I've heard making your own infused olive oil can be problematic; I'd love to make some for gifts, but knowing it really can go very wrong deters me, of course.

Sections
Shortcuts