Do calories count?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do calories count?

Do the calories listed on a chain restaurant's menu impact your decision as to what you will order (if the calories are listed)?

Do you rely on calorie information from eateries? Why or why not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Do calories count?

Sometimes.  If what I thought I wanted had a LOT more calories than I expected, I might switch to something I think is equally tasty but not so bad for me.  But, usually, I'm out to have fun and and get what I really want.  I don't go out to eat that often for that reason; I'd gain weight that way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lincoln678. Show lincoln678's posts

Yes.  I understand that eating out is not the healthiest way to eat but if I plan my day or week around an over indulgent meal then I am ok.  It bothers me that restaurants are so far off with the calorie count.  A 5% variance or less is ok but 100 calories is a lot to be off for one meal. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Nope. The whole idea is ridiculous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrabberOrange. Show GrabberOrange's posts

I used to love Applebee's Quesadilla Burger. I would order a burger and someone else would order the Oriental Chicken Salad and we'd split it already figuring the Quesadilla burger was unhealthy. But knowing now the severity of the burger's nutritional stats and even how saturated the salad is too I am left to choose from their 550calorie choices; all of which are not enjoyable but do offer a realistic amount a food.

I do like the idea of showing off the calorie counts for meals. Ideally these restaurants will see people steered toward their healthier options and hopefully be inspired to revise their meals to achieve lower calorie counts. It is possible to have a juicy cheese-laden burger for under 800cals.

People need not over-exagerate on this topic thinking educating people of what they plan to buy and consume will leads to some Orwellian distopia.

I mean it would be nice to enjoy going out to eat again like when I was younger and everything on the menu was an option. But those days are gone and I am pushing 300lbs. And seriously, for many years, I have choosen the salads, fish, and chicken meals when I really want something decadent. But these sabotaging meals are just shady business.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you really need to worry THAT much that you need a restaurant to tell you that what you are putting in your mouth may not be your best choice, then you should probably forgo going out to eat and stay home and cook for yourself. I go out to eat for fun, good conversations and to order something I wouldn't make at home.  I don't have a weight problem or issue, but I generally know whether something is overly indulgent or not. If it's too indulgent, I'll either skip a drink or dessert.  I usually am too full to order dessert anyway, and take home at least 1/2 of my meal.

There are plenty of ways to go out and enjoy good food and not eat 1000 calories in one sitting.  Order a side salad and an appetizer.  That's usually enough food for a full meal anyway.  American restaurants put an enormous amount of food on a plate and have a tendency to smother everything w/ cheese or a sauce. If the cook knows what he/she is doing, you don't need to add all that extra junk to a meal. 

If you are ordering fried anything or anything Alfredo, you should kind of be clued in to the fact that it's probably not the healthiest choice on the menu.  But if you need to make a special order of plain grilled chicken, no skin, no sauce, do your dining companions a favor and stay home.  You are going to be the wet blanket who spoils everyone else's enjoyment of their food. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with ALF!  Don't be that person that spends 10 minutes ordering their extra healthy meal.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDiSaia. Show DrDiSaia's posts

It is better just not to eat fast food. Weight loss is a frequent benefit to those who "kick the habit."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lgmoney. Show lgmoney's posts

calories count, lets face it, most likely they are understated at most places.  it is easy enough to make adjustments.  for your salad, get dressing on side, I usually know that the soup with it is loaded with salt, so will make sure no salt during the day if possible before going out to eat.  you might have guessed it, not really an eat out person.  forget about fast food, I cannot even remember last time to one of the major chains.  when I get an entree, i know I am taking at least half of it home for next day, this way I do not have to make a huge production on my order and hold up rest of the party.