Has your child been diagnosed with Autism?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Has your child been diagnosed with Autism?

What do you think about the diagnosis of Autism as a whole? Do you think children are being over diagnosed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lexgal. Show lexgal's posts

Re: Has your child been diagnosed with Autism?

I think children are being overdiagnosed with autism, I think seniors are being overdiagnosed with Alzheimer's, I think children and seniors are being given too many drugs, I think differences in our society are not tolerated, and I think this overdiagnosing and overdrugging is done for one purpose, and that is MONEY.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from austin018. Show austin018's posts

I think it is over-diagnosis; rememeber, the criteria for what is considered "autism" is more lax than it used to be when the earlier studies were conducted, yet the new rate does seem high still.
    More and more mothers (and fathers) are having children later and later in life, often well beyond what nature had intended---advanced paternal/maternal age is associated with autism as well as a slew of other disorders.
    An invitro can make a women a mother at 53, but her eggs are 53 years old and are going to act as such in terms of fertilization and genetics. I think that also might play a role in the increase we are seeing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trickycrayon. Show trickycrayon's posts

Asperger's is really easy to misdiagnose, so yes, I think autism is overdiagnosed.

It's very different to those of us who were used to autism meaning a person really couldn't function in society, or who WORKED with autistic people and saw just what that diagnosis meant. 

When I see "1 in 88," I think that means 1 in 88 people seriously cannot function, cannot have a normal life. If you're including Asperger's, there are two issues: the first is that most can function just fine, get jobs, marry, have houses; the other issue is that "shy" kids are being diagnosed with Asperger's even if they don't fit the clinical definition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mworch. Show mworch's posts

Don't have any kids. But you have to wonder if higher instances of autism were around before, never diagnosed, due to maybe lack of knowledge/technology ,and now with new medical knowledge/technologies, its being diagnosed more often.
    My opinion...i think there are some kids who are just slow learners, and that's it  slow learners. autistic labeling should not be assigned to these kids. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LizzieX1980. Show LizzieX1980's posts

In Response to Re: Has your child been diagnosed with Autism?:
    [QUOTE]Asperger's is really easy to misdiagnose, so yes, I think autism is overdiagnosed. It's very different to those of us who were used to autism meaning a person really couldn't function in society, or who WORKED with autistic people and saw just what that diagnosis meant.  When I see "1 in 88," I think that means 1 in 88 people seriously cannot function, cannot have a normal life. If you're including Asperger's, there are two issues: the first is that most can function just fine, get jobs, marry, have houses; the other issue is that "shy" kids are being diagnosed with Asperger's even if they don't fit the clinical definition.
    Posted by trickycrayon[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

I often wonder if Autism is not the beginning of some sort of evolutionary change in human beings, it seems way too many children have the symptoms, could this just actually be the beginning of the new normal? Technology while great seems to have invaded our lives to the point where we no longer need to leave our houses and can do so many things via technology that do not require a lot of social norms to be followed, IE dealing with people face to face and living in the real world. When I look at some of the symptoms these kids have, it seems like they are better suited to dealing with the technology driven world. IE, they are uncomfortable with human contact, the outside world is often a sensory overload to them and yet many of them are extremely intelligent or talented in certain areas.  Just something that I think about when I hear about these children and their symptoms

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebunk. Show ebunk's posts

Yes with pervasive developmental disoder N.O.S. at age 4. My son is 22 now and I have major concerns about the availability of resources and support for young adults with autism related disorders. My son graduated in the top third of his high school class and has almost two years of college work, but his disability makes it difficult to function normally. Despite a high vocabulary, my son often misunderstands verbal directions or what another person may say to him. This inability to interpret in conversation makes life very difficult for him. He is easily overwhelmed and gets upset easily. Right now, despite his educational background, my son has his first paying job working 6 hours a week at a local stable. He receives social security disability payments of only $500 per month, so I worry about what will happen to him after I am gone. While I applaud efforts to diagnose autism disorders at an early age, I am distressed that no one is focusing on the challenges of adults with mild to moderate autism disorders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from barbsboy. Show barbsboy's posts

There is not an overdiagnosis of children with autism. In fact, there is an UNDERDIAGNOSIS! I work in a hospital and see SO MANY children whose pediatricians didn't catch the signs of autism and now the kid's symptoms are much worse and the time in life when services are most effective has passed.

This is a terrible crisis and society will pay the price for all of the children who aren't helped and won't be able to contribute as working adults when they grow up. WAKE UP! Help kids early and both the children, and our community, benefits. AND it costs less in the long run!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimjogs. Show jimjogs's posts

I have not had any children diagnosed with Autism.  However, I am a licensed pychologist who has been conducting neuropsychological assessment of children for the last thirty six years both in the public school setting and privately.  I have seen the diagnostic labels of what constitutes an autistic spectrum, Asperger's Syndrome, pervasively developmentally disabled, and mildly intellectually impared/MR shift, change and evolve over the decades.  The Diagnostic Statistical Manuel (DSM-IV, now being revised for the fifth time) lists many similar diagnostic points that can be traded across all of these disability areas.  Also, an Austistic spectrum diagnosis can be made by pediatricians, speech and language pathologists, psychologists, neurologists, occupational and physical therapists to name a few, and not all of these designiations are made as part of a Team effort utilizing current assessment tools.  Also, you have many, many parents who "push" for this diagnostic label as they feel it will allow their child to enter certain educational programs, receive additional services earlier or longer, and resist the determination that their child has other or less popular/socially acceptable diagnostic labels (folks would rather have an autistic child versus a mildly intellectually impaired/MR or emotionally impaired child).  It would be interesting to see how many of these "autistic" children retain their label into adulthood.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-W. Show Don-W's posts

Yes. Initially my son was diagnosed with 'PDD NOS' he now has a diagnosis of  autism. He is now 9 years old. He is non-verbal. When my child was first diagnosed at age 2 1/2, I entered into the world of Autism. It's almost a counter culture that many parents with typical children are not aware exists. I was amazed and shocked at how many other children there were like my son. All one has to do is visit the waiting room at Ladders, or go to one of the many of the schools in the area with long waiting lists (NECC, Melmark, NLG, others) to realize the extent of this problem. The idea that a parent would push for their child to be labled autistic in order to get certain services is absurd as much as it is ignorant. I can't imagine a parent who would ever want that for their child. Are some children mis-diagnosed? Certainally, but not many in my humble opinion. 

12. This post has been removed.