Healthy foods you hated as a child

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Healthy foods you hated as a child

What healthy foods did you parents try to make you eat that you absolutely hate and to this day won't try? What was so bad about the food?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhoades. Show rhoades's posts

Re: Healthy foods you hated as a child

Beets
    Lima Beans
    Sardines/Anchovies

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blondmaggie. Show blondmaggie's posts

In Response to Healthy foods you hated as a child:
    [QUOTE]What healthy foods did you parents try to make you eat that you absolutely hate and to this day won't try? What was so bad about the food?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

Meat, particularly steak and ham.  I couldn't abide the texture.  As soon as I moved out I stopped eating it and have been meatless for 25 years.

I was never very fond of drinking milk, but that's what kids drank with dinner in our house, so we had no choice.  These days, it's water.  Milk in a glass as a beverage is just...odd tasting.  Too sweet for a regular drink, not sweet enough for a dessert drink.  And never cold enough.

Whole wheat pasta, which tasted like cardboard and had the texture of rubber bands.  I'm sure it's much better these days, but I still can't bring myself to try the stuff. 

Sweet potatoes.  Too sweet, too mushy.  Just...wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Edtheman. Show Edtheman's posts

cauliflower: looks like brain, tastes like crap.  It can taste good, but it takes a great chef to transform it into something edible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mraleig. Show mraleig's posts

Carrots

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from silvercity. Show silvercity's posts

Water.  Most the time I'm forcing myself to drink it. I didn't even bring a water bottle when I travelled to the Sahara Desert.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluejay7. Show bluejay7's posts

Beets
    Brussel sprouts
    Succatash (cream corn with Lima beans)
    Fresh milk from the cow
    Raisin Bran cereal (with said milk)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smitty47. Show smitty47's posts

lima beans
    cream corn
    okra
    pork
    beef
    milk

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheep131. Show sheep131's posts

whole milk
    peppers (now I love them)
    mushrooms (now I tolerate them)
    nuts (except peanut butter)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Peas and liver ( although I am pretty sure liver is no longer considered healthy..)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Lima beans
    Peas
    Liver
    Frozen mixed vegetables

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IheartJohn. Show IheartJohn's posts

fish of all kinds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7continents. Show 7continents's posts

Boy, am I easy to feed.  I'm searching these lists and thinking, I love that!  And that!  And that!  I love healthy food.  Unfortunately, I also love UNhealthy food!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from just1lis. Show just1lis's posts

I hate yogurt, and I wish I liked it because it's so convenient.
    I also hate mushrooms, and they pop up everywhere!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arhus. Show arhus's posts

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone on the dislike of lima beans. Still can't stand them. 

As a kid I also hated most veggies especially asparagus. My mom would use the pressure cooker on meats and vegetables. Everything came out grey and mushy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston--resident. Show boston--resident's posts

In Response to Re: Healthy foods you hated as a child:
    [QUOTE]Water.  Most the time I'm forcing myself to drink it. I didn't even bring a water bottle when I travelled to the Sahara Desert.
    Posted by silvercity[/QUOTE]

I second that! I hate drinking water.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am glad, I have fellow no-water drinkers. I can't drink the stuff. Makes me nauseated. I know, I have to drink it and that it is good for me, but it is a chore. My DH drinks gallons and can't understand, I can't drink water and is after me all the time, "Drink your water!" - how I hate those words.
    I found, if I squeeze a bit of fresh lemon in the water, I sometimes can tolerate it. I also drink a lot of week tea to make up for the 8 glasses of water. - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmafb. Show gmafb's posts

Squash...I don't mind it now, but I remember one time as a kid, my mother made me eat some or there'd be no dessert for me. I literally threw it up at the dinner table. I don't think she ever made me eat squash again.

Generally, a food's healthfulness is inversely proportional to its taste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

Onions (still do, except in cooking, where they are a must) 
    Beef and calves' liver 
    Liverwurst
    Codfish cakes. 
    Canned spinach 
    Canned asparagus. 
    Canned potatoes
    Canned carrots
    Canned grapefruit and canned grapefruit juice
    Canned orange juice
    Canned pineapple juice
    Olives
    Pimentos
    Raw garlic or big pieces of cooked garlic 
    Lima beans (the texture more than the taste)
    Raw oysters (love them scalloped, etc., though)
    Mushrooms 
    Scallops
    Tomato juice/V8
    Stewed tomatoes
    Anchovies
    Chicken salad

I didn't have these as a kid but I hate these too: Mangos, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro.

Nope. I'm not fussy. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Carrots. Yuck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmperry2. Show jmperry2's posts

Lima beans
    Peas
    Broccoli (my favorite veg now)
    Kidney beans (love now)

Tastes do change but I can't face Brussel Sprouts even as an adult although I like cabbage raw and cooked. Go figure...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jabliizvesti. Show jabliizvesti's posts

Yogurt and butter milk.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieOnCape. Show MarieOnCape's posts

Not sure that some of the foods people listed that they didn't like would qualify as "healthy".

Healthy things I didn't like as a child included asparagus, broccoli, raw/stewed tomatoes, "water" squashes and melons from cucumber to summer to zucchini (these actually caused me to throw up), brussel sprouts, spinach, lima beans, and beets. And I didn't like mushrooms but I refuse to call fungus that grows off decay a healthy food.

When I was a young adult I worked in a restaurant and tried a bit of broccoli doused in hollandaise sauce as it seemed a popular side dish to see what it was all about. Viola! Add something unhealthy to the healthy (butter, sauces, cheese, etc.) and who knew it could taste so good! I decided to try the other things I hadn't liked as a child to see if it was "just in my head" or if was still something I didn't like. I found I could eat broccoli, lima beans, brussel sprouts (still need something to drench these in), cauliflower, collard greens (when cooked right), spinach.

However the  "water" squashes and melons still make me violently ill, still can't stomach anything like a raw tomato (tomato sauce and juice OK), beets are still disgusting to me even when prepared by a chef. And common fungus is like throwing dirt and decay on my healthy food and still can't abide the texture or taste (which I think is 100,000 years of human instinct working well).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

green beans, unless picked directly off the plant while weeding
    canned peas
    lima beans
    macaroni and cheese
    bologna
    beets, but did like stewed beet greens

I now love green beans, and a beet here and there, but the rest of the list still makes me sick. Turns out that beets and lima beans (and a bunch of other foods people listed) are common migraine triggers. Maybe our young bodies were trying to tell us something.

Sections
Shortcuts