Home health remedies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Home health remedies?

Using toothpaste to get rid of a blemish, using butter to stop a burn, using Preparation H to get rid of bags and dark circles under your eyes... We've all heard them: Those quirky home remedies to cure common aliments -- now we want to hear the ones you swear by. If we get enough, we'll talk to experts to figure out if the remedies are healthy (or even work).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Re: Home health remedies?

Butter on a burn is a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad idea. Never do it.

I keep an aloe plant. It's nearly impossible to kill and fresh aloe does wonders on a minor burn, after running under cool water for at least 15 minutes.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from avila1015. Show avila1015's posts

I use the Vermont folk remedy for the first symptoms of a cold: mix 1 tablespoon each of honey and apple cider vinegar, use a little hot water to dissolve the honey, and then add 8 ounces of water. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from informer98726. Show informer98726's posts

In the dry winter months, keep a humidifier going at all times in your living space. I believe it keeps the bronchial tubes from drying out and becoming susceptible to bacteria.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Onion syrup as a natural expectorant.  Chop/dice a mason jar full of onions, cover with sugar, let sit overnight (do not cook).  Take 6 tablespoons (2, 3 times per day).  Gets phlegm loose and up and out of your chest when you cough; especially good with bronchitis.  I SWEAR by it as a life long asthma and bronchitis sufferer.  OTC expectorants do NOT work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I second Kar. She taught me this. IT DOES WORK!!! I always have a small jar in my refrigerator of this stuff. If I don't use it for what I intended it for, it makes a great addition to a salad dressing. Nothing wasted - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmrw54. Show kmrw54's posts

For an upset stomach dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. It tastes terrible, but it really works!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from urout. Show urout's posts

There are none except moisture and aspirin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shadowbright. Show shadowbright's posts

No one would give it to a child these days, but my dad used to give me a small glass of whisky with honey and lemon juice for a bad cough, and it did work.  Still works for me these days, just as well as Nyquil

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My mother said she use to rub whiskey on our gums when we were teething as babies : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

My wife's snoring was really getting to me. Nothing seemed to work. Then one night, after I'd kind of nudged her, she went into the other BR to sleep. Quieter -and- more space. A double home health remedy!

But seriously (although that really does happen sometimes), an aloe plant has come to my rescue many times. You can't beat the aloe juice as first-aid for a minor burn. BTW, some of the commercial aloe gels make a great after-shave.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

With honey, just make sure you don't give it to a child under a year old - it has bacteria they can't process.  Otherwise, it's great, especially mixed with fresh lemon juice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeeMadden. Show LeeMadden's posts

The Aloe vera (Aloe) plant was given to me 5 years ago to apply to my stiches after surgery.  Within a few weeks my skin was back to normal and smooth.  The small plant I have requires no care other than a little water when you think about it, I snip off small pieces as I need it.  If you don't want to bother with the plant you can buy it in any health food store, it's called Skin Gel, whole leaf Aloe Vera.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

Don't laugh or roll your eyes like my friends do, but a bit if banana peel will get rid of a plantars wart. Its worked for me and everyone I forced to try it. LOL!

Take a banana peel and scrape the inside of the peel right down to the peel itself and rub the peel  on the wart three times a day. Sometimes I will just cut a small piece of peel and put it under a band-aid to hold it in place and leave it there all day, especially if its on the bottom of my foot. You don't need a lot of  it, and you  really don't want the banana part, just mositure of the inside of the peel. In a few days you should notice it disappearing.

I had a huge quarter size planter's wart on the bottom of my heel for three years, and the doctor wanted to carve it out, I said no way. My grandmother told me to try this and within a month it was completely gone. Even the doc was impressed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That reminds me of another one my mom used for a toe nail infection she got from a salon (ew).  Vicks Vapo Rub applied to the nail morning and night.  Grows out healthy, infection free.  Really!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

A kiss, and a cup of tea. It may not cure, but it can't hurt. bg.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

I AM NOT PUMPSY GREEN! bg

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SweetScarlette. Show SweetScarlette's posts

If you've been out late and your eyes are puffy (or just tired) when you wake up, get a cucumber from the refrigerator. Cut two slices, lie down and place them over your eyes for 5 minutes. It feels soothing and refreshing and will reduce puffiness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicoYazBoomer. Show RicoYazBoomer's posts

In Response to Re: Home health remedies?:
    [QUOTE]Don't laugh or roll your eyes like my friends do, but a bit if banana peel will get rid of a plantars wart. Its worked for me and everyone I forced to try it. LOL! Take a banana peel and scrape the inside of the peel right down to the peel itself and rub the peel  on the wart three times a day. Sometimes I will just cut a small piece of peel and put it under a band-aid to hold it in place and leave it there all day, especially if its on the bottom of my foot. You don't need a lot of  it, and you  really don't want the banana part, just mositure of the inside of the peel. In a few days you should notice it disappearing. I had a huge quarter size planter's wart on the bottom of my heel for three years, and the doctor wanted to carve it out, I said no way. My grandmother told me to try this and within a month it was completely gone. Even the doc was impressed.
    Posted by aquanet[/QUOTE]

Bingo on the banana peel trick.  Back in 1985 a girlfriend told me to do it ... I put a small piece of banana peel under a bandaid and within 3,4 days that wart was history.  She said the enzyemes in the peel do the magic.  Who knows, but it works..I've done it several times since.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from obsidianom. Show obsidianom's posts

I am a foot doc (podiatrist)  . AND YES I believe the banana may indeed kill warts. I had a wart on my finger that wouldnt respond to freezing. I began eating a lot of frozen bananas at that time and would hold them in my hand where the wart was. After 3 weeks the wart resolved and never returned.
    I also believe in using plain black tea bags on minor wounds and to soak in for minor infections. It often alleviates the need for antibiotics. Use 5 or 6 tea bags in a basin of warm water. Tea will kill many bacteria and fungus, and heals tissue .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinger1. Show stinger1's posts

Homeopathic remedies are really nothing but plain water and maybe some sugar!  This is one of the easiest  "medicines" to disprove.  Homeopathy is the poster child for the placebo effect and, after reading posts and noticing the sales of "medicines" skyrocket, it is easy to see why scientists know that American schools are falling behind on teaching science and math.

Two items that are huge moneymakers: Zicam and Airborne.  Absolutely worthless.  Just Google them.  There is also a complete list of homeopathic remedies that again, are nothing but water!  One of the favorite parlor tricks was to take the entire bottle of sleeping pills in one swallow.  Since it is nothing but  sugar and water, it is impossible to overdose on one bottlle!

If you wish a quick primer in homeopathy that is understandable, simply click on:
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?cat=5

There is lots of info.  Lots of reading.  Keep scrolling from topic to topic.  Don't get lazy and give up!  If you have an ounce of logic in your body, you will see the facts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

Thanks for the back-up on my banana peel remedy!

My friends have made fun of me for years when I've told them to try it. Just flat out laughed. LOL!  It does work!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from senorita. Show senorita's posts

[QUOTE]Homeopathic remedies are really nothing but plain water and maybe some sugar!  This is one of the easiest  "medicines" to disprove.  Homeopathy is the poster child for the placebo effect and, after reading posts and noticing the sales of "medicines" skyrocket, it is easy to see why scientists know that American schools are falling behind on teaching science and math. Two items that are huge moneymakers: Zicam and Airborne.  Absolutely worthless.  Just Google them.  There is also a complete list of homeopathic remedies that again, are nothing but water!  One of the favorite parlor tricks was to take the entire bottle of sleeping pills in one swallow.  Since it is nothing but  sugar and water, it is impossible to overdose on one bottlle! If you wish a quick primer in homeopathy that is understandable, simply click on: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?cat=5 There is lots of info.  Lots of reading.  Keep scrolling from topic to topic.  Don't get lazy and give up!  If you have an ounce of logic in your body, you will see the facts.
    Posted by stinger1[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lizzyper. Show Lizzyper's posts

[QUOTE]Butter on a burn is a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad idea. Never do it. I keep an aloe plant. It's nearly impossible to kill and fresh aloe does wonders on a minor burn, after running under cool water for at least 15 minutes.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts