Know someone who stutters?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emmdeeaych. Show emmdeeaych's posts

Re: Know someone who stutters?

In Response to Re: Know someone who stutters?:
    I've known a few people that stuttered.  It's really sad, particularly when they get stuck on a word.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Attitudes like this turn a difficult situation into an impossible one. How condescending. I bet you wonder why stutteres get discouraged and depressed. How much would YOU want to talk if you made everyone sad whenever you even tried.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emmdeeaych. Show emmdeeaych's posts

Just listen to what the person is saying and get over the stuttering the way you would their clothes or something else superficial about them. It shouldn't have to define us, same as skin color or ethnicity.
    Posted by MountMac

exactly!!!

I think Bostonians should be very well prepared to treat it as a difficult accent. 

Whenver I start to stutter I try to speak in a lilting canadian accent and my fluency returns.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambition97. Show ambition97's posts

By all means; steal it! That line helps me to loosen up and in a funny way, lets the listener know that I do indeed, stutter and no, I'm not drunk or mentally insane! Laughter has been a good way for me accept a lot of things! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambition97. Show ambition97's posts

Yeah, I do know someone who stutters:  me.  Educated, social and happy today, but growing up; it was a living hell.  Children can be downright mean.  Nevermind a stutter, if you were wearing the wrong color one day, you'd be ridiculed.  Junior High was probably the worst; first class at a new school...SPEECH.  I wanted to die.

Today, after the help of speech pathologists and the "SpeechEasy" device, I am as close to fluent as ever.  I purposely put myself out there to speak at meetings and be the forefront of as many public speaking events as possible.  I call it "free speech therapy". 

For the longest time, speech therapy was NOT covered by most insurances; oh sure, if you have a drug addiction, or a mental issue, you're covered; they'd pay.  But unless your speech impediment was caused by an accident, you were paying top dollar for therapy.  I almost prayed for an 'accident' when I was a kid.

The moral here?  Listen to what EVERYONE has to say with an open mind and an open heart. Don't ridicule. I have accepted my stutter as part of WHO I AM.  This was the biggest stepping stone for me.  I have great friends, colleagues and family who encourage, embrace and support me for who I am. They know my best line when I get stuck:

"Geesh, if I could talk, I'd be dangerous." 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emmdeeaych. Show emmdeeaych's posts

"Geesh, if I could talk, I'd be dangerous." 
    Posted by ambition97

I was lucky to go to a school system with speech therapists on staff, and although I stuttered past graduation, I know it helped.  What helped more was exactly what you said - accepting it as part of me, and seeing the judgemental for who they are (those most afraid of being judged).

as for the quote at the top, I am SO stealing that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MountMac. Show MountMac's posts

I stuttered as a kid and do occasionally as an adult. I can tell you that we don't want sympathy. The worst feeling is trying to say something and having everyone just starring at you, especially with the sad look. Accept it as a part of who the person is makes is all less awkward. My stuttering was mostly solved through years of speach therapy; I didn't "grow out of it." To this day I don't find the gags with stutterers in movies and tv funny.  Just listen to what the person is saying and get over the stuttering the way you would their clothes or something else superficial about them. It shouldn't have to define us, same as skin color or ethnicity.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Know someone who stutters? : Attitudes like this turn a difficult situation into an impossible one. How condescending. I bet you wonder why stutteres get discouraged and depressed. How much would YOU want to talk if you made everyone sad whenever you even tried.
    Posted by emmdeeaych

I'm sorry.  I wasn't trying to be condescending.  It doesn't bother me when people stutter.  I just thought it was tough whenever a person speaking before a group of people would get stuck on a word.  It would trip them up and break their flow.  I would have the same sympathy for someone with stage fright that froze when speaking to a group.

The way I look at it, everyone has something. 

The stuttering seems to bother the stutter more than the listener.  That's all I meant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from butcher38. Show butcher38's posts

How do they leave the most famous stutterer off the list - Stuttering John Melendez of the Howard Stern Show? He turned his "affliction" into a career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I've known a few people that stuttered.  It's really sad, particularly when they get stuck on a word.

Sections
Shortcuts