Question re: personal medical info

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPcoffee. Show JPcoffee's posts

Question re: personal medical info

My boyfriend recently got a vulgar prank phone call from someone claiming to be a doctor my bf had a falling-out with a few years ago.  This person knew about my boyfriend's specific pain issues and taunted him about it.  My boyfriend was unable to trace the phone number or person who called him, and he knows the person who called was NOT the doctor.  This whole thing really bothers me because I feel that my boyfriend's medical information was compromised.  He filed a report with the police, but I don't think the police are taking it as seriously as they should. 

I just want to know what my boyfriend can expect as an outcome should the prank caller be traced.  Am I wrong to assume that the HIPAA that is supposed to protect someone's medical info was violated?  Is this as serious as I think it is, or will this just fall through the cracks?  :-(

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Question re: personal medical info

I think there is an 1-800# in the link provided, maybe they can answer your questions.     http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPcoffee. Show JPcoffee's posts

Re: Question re: personal medical info

Thanks, dog-lady.  I will pass this along to my bf.

Sections
Shortcuts