Radiation Therapy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Radiation Therapy

I started radiation and was warned that I would feel fatigue, so I was prepared to feel really tired.  But they told me an "uncommon" side effect was nausea.  I am starting to feel sick to my stomach.  I only get to see my doctor on Tuesdays and will ask him about it, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and what you did about it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Radiation Therapy

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/radiation_therapy/hic_radiation_therapy_side_effects_--_nausea_and_vomiting.aspx

You probably were given reading material, but the above url has dietary recommendations for nausea.

My mother had BC / radiation years ago (she's been in remission for a very long time, thankfully) and she moreorless ate what you'd think of eating to quiet your stomach: flat ginger ale, crackers, bland food, or even ice cubes to make sure you keep from being dehydrated.  Dehydration is a big factor, so you want to be careful about that.  Hot food is not a good idea, as the odor of the food is not appetizing when you feel this way.  My mum used to also take hard candies, and that helped.  I think the literature also recommends that you try to eat on days when you can eat normally, so on the days when the going is tough, your body won't under go too much of a nutritional loss.   

Also, you should feel free to call your doctor and leave a message any time, IMHO.  My mother's doctor called her after he was done with rounds.  Otherwise, a NP or another professional at the practice might be able to call you back and help you out.  But I'm sure your doctor would be glad to call you back if you left a message, even if it took some time to get back to you.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Thanks for the website and tips, yoga. 

I'm sorry about your mother, but it's wonderful that she is a "survivor".  My mom had it too, but she passed away in 1995. 

On the bright side, I am losing weight :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDiSaia. Show DrDiSaia's posts

Radiation therapy can be a drag. I run into it as an issue in breast reconstruction. It has the potential to complicate matters considerably.

This issue of radiation therapy as it pertains to breast reconstruction has been the topic of a fair number of posts at my blog:

http://www.cosmeticsurgerytruth.com/blog/?s=radiation

If your radiation treatment was delivered anywhere near the abdomen, nausea is not that uncommon. Let your doctors (both your primary and radiation therapy docs) know so they can try to improve the situation for you.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Thank you, Doctor Di Saia.  I will check it out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Radiation Therapy:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the website and tips, yoga.  I'm sorry about your mother, but it's wonderful that she is a "survivor".  My mom had it too, but she passed away in 1995.  On the bright side, I am losing weight :)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]Likewise, chazz, and for the untimely passing of your mum.   You seem to be someone who would have made peace with that loss, albeit, one of life's toughest.   My Mum has had a clean bill of health for over 10 years, so we were very fortunate.  
    Silver lining on the weight. :)   But I'm sure you will very happy when this part of the journey is over and you enjoy a nice meal again.   Then, of course, you get to be treated to dinner at one of your favorite spots.   

A physician from Orange County?  Wonder if he used to live in Boston.  Nice of him to respond anyhow.  :)

Not sure if joining a support MB would be helpful to you or would be your cup of tea, but there are quite a few.  Here's one if you want to check it out:
    (under Community, click on Discussions)

chazz, I'm a more serious person than you can possibly know or realize by simply seeing me online. I have an intense volunteer job and have worked in advocacy groups, and love helping people.  I don't perceive or see certain online (or RL) humor the way others do. I honestly don't. Perhaps "vive la difference" is the way to go.   Keep the faith, and take care.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts