What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aad61. Show aad61's posts

Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

I hate when people ask if they can rotate on a station with me and then get pissy when I say no.  I don't take long breaks and workout alone specifically so I can get through my workout quickly.  If I rotated with others it would almost double my workout time.  If someone is using something I'd like to use, I either wait patiently or move onto something else. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from secretary. Show secretary's posts

Broken equipment.  Fix it, it shouldn't be out of service for more than 2-3 days, depending upon when the part is arriving.

People who don't put weights back where they belong.

People who do not de-weight equipment when they are done.  Come on I'm 5' tall and 100 lbs.!

Men who boss other people around at the gym.

Equipment hoarders.

People (mostly men) who sweat all over the equipment and the people around them with flying sweat and refuse to use a towel to prevent themselves from sweating on equipment and other people.

Trainers who talk and gossip and do not train!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff7971. Show jeff7971's posts

when a dude finds it neccessary to take the locker right next to you...WHEN THE GYM IS EMPTY!!!! I mean really guy!
    Also the music in the locker rooms (Equinox on Dartmouth St) it's worse than elevators!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jim501. Show jim501's posts

Hogging equipment while talking

Go to a bar if all you want to do is talk. I go to the gym to work out, so if you just want to talk go stand somewhere, don't sit on the equipment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BennetWatson. Show BennetWatson's posts

1. Those who wear cologne/perfume in the gym. Ridiculous.

2. People who grunt when they lift are totally lame.
    3. And those who attempt to lift a whole lot more than they are capable of and end up injuring themselves or having their spotter take the load off - totally weak.

4, but really number 1. My absolute biggest pet-peeve is our current gym in W. Roxbury - the entire gym is my pet-peeve. Workout World?? Really?? yikes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BennetWatson. Show BennetWatson's posts

Oh, I almost forgot: those who are smaller than I am and constantly grill my totally diesel frame.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geoff100. Show Geoff100's posts

• when you walk into the locker room and some 68 year old is buckass naked in front of the mirror blow-drying his genitals
    • fat guys that hang out in the locker room naked. How about a towel?
    • the guy that felt it necessary to take his shorts off and sit naked in the shared men's/women's hot tub.
    • guys that can bench 300 pounds but have never attempted a squat
    • the really important guy that has to take that cell phone call in the middle of the gym. Wait a minute, I don't think I've ever seen this guy actually work out.
    • the neanderthals that just lift weights. Go jog a mile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from spocked. Show spocked's posts

I second the post about people slamming the weights down to draw attention so we can all know how manly they are. Idiots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zavski88. Show zavski88's posts

People who camp out on machines or lifting positions.  Do the lift..move on.  Don't "rest" for two minutes and offer the "one more set" excuse.  Get off the machine and change the pin/weights when you get back on.  It takes seconds...like `10-20.   The blame for this is gym owners/managers who don't tell their staff to prevent this stuff from happening.  But this delves into the stewardess/pilot vs. gym employee/trainer territory.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zavski88. Show zavski88's posts

Expensive gyms with really cheap antiquated audio visual systems.  River Valley Club in Lebanon, NH.  4 channels on ...FM radio...yeah that's still around. And get this ...one channel is locked on the tennis channel...and only two folks in the entire gym (of like 60 staffers) know how..or are authorized to fix problems on the systems.  A great gym with a 1970's A/V mindset.  Not sure how this is changed as there is limited competiton in the area.  As everyone knows, gyms don't change for members..they change for competiton.  The RVC situation can suck for a long time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sapphira. Show Sapphira's posts

Socializing in the locker room--I don't care about your wedding!!

People who use a remote to change the channel on their TVs without aiming well.  I'll be watching SportsCenter, and then some guy will come along and spend five minutes changing the channel, and if I want to stop him, I have to slow down my work-out.

Cell phones!  Our gym bans them, so I only use mine for music until I'm out of the building.  But people still use them in the locker rooms, which goes back to the first point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeterHammer. Show PeterHammer's posts

1) The 60 year old 5'2 Neanderthal that works out at the Boylston BSC, has pencil thin legs, huge biceps, insists on walking around naked in the locker room, and makes sure that everyone else can see the box of Trojan Magnun's in the open side pocket of his gym bag. Really dude?! if you want to enforce that suggestion then you should consider covering your 2.5 inches with a towel.
    2) People walking in the swimming pool! It is called a swimming pool, not a walking pool, for a reason. Also, people that do one length and stop 5 minutes for air. Perhaps you should try to get your cardio up a bit before you hurt yourself.
    3) Slow swimmers who think it is appropriate to interrupt fast swimmers to ask if they can share the lane. Read the sign people. If you want to share pick a lane with swimmers of your own ability. The whole idea of interrupting someone mid lap to ask if you can share the lane is the pinnacle of rude. Either wait for the person to stop for air, or don't ask.
    4) Gay men who think of the men's locker room as their hookup scene. Here is a hint: unless you know me, I don't want to talk to you in the locker room. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougharmon. Show dougharmon's posts

Teenage girls that have been dropped off at the gym as "daycare" that sit around looking at the teenage boys that have been dropped off at the gym as "daycare', and both of them sitting around taking up space texting and yakking on their cellphones loud enough for everyone to hear them over the music on your ipod.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrymarcus. Show perrymarcus's posts

when, because of ill-placed equipment, you're forced to look directly at someone else while using a machine... and awkwardly trying to not look at him/her during the lull between sets.

that guy that needs to change straps/hooks/levers/etc to do some bizarre pro-level twisting action weight pull that works his quadratus plantae muscle.

when I use a machine after a smaller guy who I naturally assumed I could dominate, then having to sheepishly reduce the weight he was using.

not affording a buffer elliptical when doing so is possible; there's a mile of empty machines and they pick the one right next to you.

just wanting a quick sip of water and having to wait while a meathead fills up his gallon jug.

overhearing a personal trainer tell a client, “A common mistake people make is to perform the exercise this way…” and glumly reflecting on the fact that I am currently demonstrating the common mistake.

but i do like the gym though Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bawstonbred. Show bawstonbred's posts

1) people who put things up and put them down.

2) people who bring empty containers from Ma or ME or NH and expect to get a 5 cent refund.

3) People who do not understnad that most of the world is not worried about gyms.

4) People who live in Arlington and dress their dogs up in raincoats.

5) People who do not understand why Murmacs no longer exist or do not appreciate roast beef sandwiches with liberal amounts of mayo.

6) people who do not appreciate the firesign theatre or think that everything that you know is wrong.

8) people who cannot count sequentially.

9) people who criticize others' speling mistakes.

10) people who live near the redline but don't have a clue (sorry redliners)

11) people who read stupid posts and don't have a life.

12) People who think Letterman was funny in the 1990's but realize he is a moron, today.

13) People think that Suzy Ormann knows time value of money.

14) People who don't know what they don't know.

15) people who actually subscribe to the Boston Globe even though delivery may be only 4 or 5 days a week.

16) People who love people are the lovliest people in the world. 

17) people who discuss calculus or the second devivetive while lifting weights.

18) People who expect to listen to echo and the bunnymen but are exposed to really bad gym music.

19) people who have spell check at the treadmill.

20) people who think that CBS should have renewed twilight zone for another season.

21) people who think that perpetual wheels could work and perhaps even change the socioceconomic balance.

22) people who think that the plymouth rock is big

23) people who .................

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlwarner. Show rlwarner's posts

Guys who sit bare assed directly on the wooden benches in the locker room while changing without putting a towel down...E coli, anyone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Happywoman55. Show Happywoman55's posts

When a member "reserves" a shower by leaving their stuff in there... I never saw this behavior until I saw it repeatedly at BSC in Waltham. Oh, and the "reserved" shower of course has the best water pressure for those of us with long hair, it makes a difference. Entitled. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Idiots that cheat on every rep of every set by not doing exercises correctly. Using weight that is obviously too heavy for them!

I have to agree w/ some of the earlier posters. Some of these trainers are useless! The clients they are training are not even breaking a sweat! How the hell are you going to make improvements if you are not even working hard?

These people that have been using a trainers for years still look the same as they did when they first started. If you want to blow some money on a useless trainer, give the money to me....I could use it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

When you're benching and you ask some guy to spot you and he stands too close so that his junk his practically hanging in your face

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anavidreader. Show anavidreader's posts

Off-task behavior. I say work out or get out! :). Standing around talking, resting on equipment and using a cell phone. Loud conversations are the worst.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anavidreader. Show anavidreader's posts

Off-task behavior.  Work out, or get out, I say :).  Talking, sitting on machines, using a cell-phone.  Loud "look at me" conversations are the worst.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Trainers that got their physiques from steroid use or plastic surgery, but make prospective clients think they can look like the trainer if they just work hard enough (and pay the trainer enough).
    False advertising.  They should be required to make proper disclosures.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Biggest pet peeve is not just people not wiping down machines, but those people who wipe them down with dirty towels that were laying on the floor. Another one, more common than you would think, is when the person next to you on the treadmill, starts emitting that silent, but deadly gas - sorry guys, but it is always a guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emma428. Show emma428's posts

People that spray me when wiping their treadmill down next to me.  Getting on the tredmill only to find that the tv in front of me is on the food network and having to be tortured into watching Barefoot Contessa make some very unhealthy but yummy dish! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chini50. Show chini50's posts

people who think they are forever in middle school gym class and wear dirty shirts or shorts. you stink do a wash.

Sections
Shortcuts