What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEBUNBOY. Show THEBUNBOY's posts

Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

This happened this morning. I'm a big guy and I've been lifting since my high school days and never stopped. However, at the age of 49 I have no desire or need to lift heavy any longer. In fact most of my workouts are cardio these days. But on days I do lift, I go pretty light for the most part. So while I realize it looks funny to see a big dude lifting 25 lbs dumbells doing curls it is also what I choose to do. I don't go heavy with the amount of weight, rather I go with high reps and low weight.

So...this old guy comes up to me and stands there staring at me while I am doing my curls. After my 25th rep I tore off my earbuds and asked him if he had something to say. The idiot points to me then the 25 lbs dumbell and says "That's a light weight for a guy like you isn't it? Is that as much weight as you can do?". I asked him if he thinks I got this big by lifting 25 lbs dumbells my entire life. I then told him how I worked out when I was in my 20's and my reasons for doing so. Further I explained to this old geezer that at my age I have nothing to prove and just like to increase my muscular endurance and that low weights with high reps is the way to do that. I ended by telling him that Wal-Mart is having a sale on LIVES and that he needs to get one.

Moral of the story...Unless you are trying to learn something in order to incorporate it into your workout then keep you mouth shut, mind your own business and let people do the workout they choose to do.

End of rant. Thanks for reading.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

After reading all these comments I must say I'm glad I've never had the pleasure of a gym membership and probably never will. Thanks for reminding me of that fact. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

People who dont put weight plates back!!! I am all for getting a great workout, but when I go to the leg press machine , and there are 8 45lb plates on it, and I have to remove 5 of them, its a pain in the you know what!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from babsred2. Show babsred2's posts

The massive amounts of perfume/cologne people wear! I'm talking about both at the gym while working out and in the locker room after showering. If I can smell your perfume from the locker room while I am 20 ft away on the gym floor you have too much on and you don't smell good. I am very sensitive to perfume/cologne but only when people put way too much on. I hate having my lungs wide open in a very intense cardio workout and then someone with too much fragrance on comes along and I can't freaking breathe and get an instant headache. Other complaint when I arrive on time for a group exercise class and grab a good spot in the back in the corner. Someone arrives 10 minutes late and squeezes in behind me when there isn't any room!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from robrien. Show robrien's posts

My biggest pet-peeve is when people take an occurrence at the gym and turn it into a personal affront.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

People who sit and lounge around on weight machines. Some people take inordinately long "rests" between sets and seem oblivious to the fact that people are waiting. One man at my previous gym actually carried little balls with him from machine to machine and sat there JUGGLING in between sets. It was funny but I felt like wringing his neck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TigerTrout. Show TigerTrout's posts

I have a Gym Arch-Nemesis, and I hope he's reading this right now. This guy looks dirty,greasy, and always wears the same clothes, which is obnoxious enough (people who reek are never o.k.) but the worst thing is that when he's on the treadmill, he leans on the handlebars when trying to sprint -- which makes his feet pound so loud and hard that the entire machine shakes as he's flailing about and every person within a 20-foot radius isstaring. It. is. so. annoying. No one wants to be on the treadmills next to him because he's spasticating so much, and I just want to bonk him on the head and say, "Dude! If you're putting all your weight on the handlebars, it doesn's matter if the speedometer reads 10 or 3. That's not running."

I hate him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaTransplant. Show CarolinaTransplant's posts

In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?:
    When people SLAM! down the weights accompanied by massive GRUNTING! in an effort to alert those around them how much they're capable of lifting. 
    Posted by ennio

Yes Yes Yes!  Those people bother me more than anything else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bos_mom. Show bos_mom's posts

Well, there was the guy who was running on the treadmill barefoot. You can't go into a restaurant barefoot, dude. What makes you think it's OK at the gym? Disgusting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sterlingsilver83. Show Sterlingsilver83's posts

-People not cleaning machines when finished
    -Using cell phones at the gym
    -People who sit at a machine for an extended time and just sit or read a magazine
    -People who do exersies in front of other equipment which prevents others from using it 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

The guy who clips his nails in the locker room letting the mini cresent moons fall all over the floor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinTHEbold. Show calvinTHEbold's posts

people that smell. use some deodorant please.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joysea. Show joysea's posts

Guys who were shiny tight shorts and their little dingus is outlined and their guts spill over the top.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimbo75. Show jimbo75's posts

I think the TV's on every single machine is a total waste.  People sit on the bike going 1 MPH and just watch TV for 60 min and call it a workout.  I think gyms should get rid of the TVs so people actually workout.  It would move people along.  Can we disconnect from the world at all anymore?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grace106. Show Grace106's posts

Other members just sitting on the machines while texting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFG1. Show TFG1's posts

People who are unwilling to share equipment.  Like my time isn't important too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titzilla. Show titzilla's posts

Seeing another dudes sweaty junk is by far the worse thing about going to the gym.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BWells22. Show BWells22's posts

Naked people in the sauna.  I'm not saying you have to be ashamed of your body, or have to stress about always being covered- but I honestly had someone lie down naked, on their back, towards me and then bend one knee, with the other leg flat!  folks should remember: just because you're comfortable with your naked body doesn't mean everyone else is comfortable with your naked body.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarboWS6. Show CarboWS6's posts

-Cell Phone policy and trainers who don't enforce it
    -loud conversations between friends while exercising, why do I have to hear about your political beliefs or how incredibly well read you are?
    -person on the next ellliptical, treadmill, or bike chewing gum loudly(usually while talking on the above mentioned cell-phone)
    -the fact that the "30 minute limit when people are waiting" is conveniently ignored by the self-important fools who think it applies to everyone, but them(again the lack of enforcement by the trainers also irritates)

other than that I do love going to the gym

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JillyADeSo. Show JillyADeSo's posts

When there are 5 machines on either side of you and someone big, sweaty and stinky has to saddle up right next to you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Esrucesrever. Show Esrucesrever's posts

Well, there's one guy who:
    Sits on the benchs.  Naked.  No towel, nothing.
    Lays his sweaty, stinky clothes on the bench so he can neatly fold them.
    And to top it:  Stands in front of the shower, naked, brushing his teeth and flossing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetz10. Show Sweetz10's posts

Not wiping down equipment after use
    Circuit training - one user hogs 3 or 4 machines - gets upset if you interrupt flow
    Women that talk and congregate in the dressing room - one pair of shoes in big locker when gym is super busy

Not enough lockers b/c gym decides to rent some - no secure or even a place to put your stuff either while you work out or away from working out - the last thing I want to be bothered with - it's a reason I would quit a gym - I can work out at home.

I like the social aspects of gym - being around other people.

More consideration - more communication - it's ok to talk to people - most people are actually nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from melhernan. Show melhernan's posts

When people throw their weigths on the ground and sometime break them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

-   Beer-gut/Out-of-shape guy who hogs three pieces of weight machinery so he can "be big". He has some muscle on his arms becuase thats all he works out. However, the rest of his body is fatty flab because he hasnt discovered a cardio machine or any other weight training methods for the rest of his body...

Sections
Shortcuts