What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from babsred2. Show babsred2's posts

Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?:
    In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out? : People new to spinning often miss instructor cues...please have patience as they learn...  and don't save seven bikes for all your friends - this isn't high school.
    Posted by AuntieElle

People in spin class period who don't pay attention to instructor cues like to keep increasing their resistance. News flash if you are riding really really fast and your resistance is supposed to be up high and everyone around you is dying pushing their peddles your resistance isn't high enough!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norm3333. Show Norm3333's posts

1) people who put things up and put them down. 2) people who bring empty containers from Ma or ME or NH and expect to get a 5 cent refund. 3) People who do not understnad that most of the world is not worried about gyms. 4) People who live in Arlington and dress their dogs up in raincoats. 5) People who do not understand why Murmacs no longer exist or do not appreciate roast beef sandwiches with liberal amounts of mayo. 6) people who do not appreciate the firesign theatre or think that everything that you know is wrong. 8) people who cannot count sequentially. 9) people who criticize others' speling mistakes. 10) people who live near the redline but don't have a clue (sorry redliners) 11) people who read stupid posts and don't have a life. 12) People who think Letterman was funny in the 1990's but realize he is a moron, today. 13) People think that Suzy Ormann knows time value of money. 14) People who don't know what they don't know. 15) people who actually subscribe to the Boston Globe even though delivery may be only 4 or 5 days a week. 16) People who love people are the lovliest people in the world.  17) people who discuss calculus or the second devivetive while lifting weights. 18) People who expect to listen to echo and the bunnymen but are exposed to really bad gym music. 19) people who have spell check at the treadmill. 20) people who think that CBS should have renewed twilight zone for another season. 21) people who think that perpetual wheels could work and perhaps even change the socioceconomic balance. 22) people who think that the plymouth rock is big 23) people who .................   
    Posted by bawstonbred

Did you really think these lines were funny?  Or on topic?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZNgunZ. Show AZNgunZ's posts

when, because of ill-placed equipment, you're forced to look directly at someone else while using a machine... and awkwardly trying to not look at him/her during the lull between sets. that guy that needs to change straps/hooks/levers/etc to do some bizarre pro-level twisting action weight pull that works his quadratus plantae muscle. when I use a machine after a smaller guy who I naturally assumed I could dominate, then having to sheepishly reduce the weight he was using. not affording a buffer elliptical when doing so is possible; there's a mile of empty machines and they pick the one right next to you. just wanting a quick sip of water and having to wait while a meathead fills up his gallon jug. overhearing a personal trainer tell a client, “A common mistake people make is to perform the exercise this way…” and glumly reflecting on the fact that I am currently demonstrating the common mistake. but i do like the gym though 
    Posted by perrymarcus

great post

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bencartright. Show Bencartright's posts

People who are doing multiple reps on a machine, and rest between sets ON the machine.  Get up and get off. Other people are waiting!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from turtletrot1. Show turtletrot1's posts

Despite the well-equipped women's only section at my gym,
    Posted by BooDiggly

Sheesh - back to the dark ages whre you live?   I can't imagine such a thing. Our gym is a gym......not an 1960's college dorm.

From what I see, most of the women out do the men for dedication and hard work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would like to add one more thing based on something that happened Monday morning...people who stare. That is so annoying and if you're going to stare at someone at least offer a smile! I actually cut my workout short the other day because this guy made me so uncomfortable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icecreed. Show icecreed's posts

Naked men in the sauna.. nasty. who wants to walk in and see your sweaty azz stain on the benches?? NO ONE!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lamajama. Show lamajama's posts

People who huck up loogies into the water bubbler, then walk away, leaving them there

YOU KIDDING ME?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedonnel. Show jedonnel's posts

My number 1 peeve, and I don't think it has been mentioned, is people that leave band-aids in the shower.  I belong to BSC and have been to at least half a dozen different locations and have seen this at every one.  If you wear a band-aid into the shower, make sure you wear it out.  In general people should clean up after themselves (weights, towels, whatever), but this seems like it should be a special class of no brainer.

On some of the other comments, it sounds like a lot of posters here are way more concerned about other people than their workouts.  Who cares if someone wears tight clothes or makeup, just go about your own business (perfume or cologne I can see being different).

As for grunting/dropping weights, I'm sure it can be annoying if it's unnecessary, but sometimes it is necessary.  Working to failure gives the best returns so you shouldn't just assume that the person is doing it for show.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from remstar27. Show remstar27's posts

When I belonged to the YMCA, The older guys (retired types) used to hang around the mens locker room in the nude on the couches  while watching TV. I found this rather odd. The other disgusting thing I saw (more than once) was some guys spitting on the floor of the weight rm. Also, wiping down the equipment does NOT work if there is only ONE towel to wipe it down with. People using the same towel over and over does not work no matter how much of that mystery spray you spray on the equipment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from remstar27. Show remstar27's posts

One more thing: Gyms are probably the most germ infested places you would want to be. You are at risk of catching everything from the common cold to menningitis in those places more so than usual. When you think of how moist it is in those places- Perfect place for bacteria to hang-out - Virus infested locker rooms etc etc etc.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbag. Show tbag's posts

How about people who  find new uses for the equipment??

Running sideways or backwards on a treadmill, or going backwards on the ellipitcal???  If you only knew how stupid you really look.

sitting backwards on equipment to work their posterior 1/3 of their deltoid...yea thats gonna make you ripped buddy.

Or the old dude who walks around and chats with younger ladies - meat market.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

I hate people grunting...whats up with that...a guy at Golds In Stoughton would run on the treadmill sounding as if he was running for the Gold Medal. Everyone in the Gym could hear him.

I will say..if I wait for 30 mins to get on a machine and I am doing reps and getting a 1min rest in between...you best believe I am going to sit on that machine until I am finished with my reps.  Why am I going to get up and wait more just so you can waste my time?

I never use the gym shower or locker room. I come ready to work out, finish up and go home to my own shower. Try it some time so you can avoid gay men trying to pick you up, fat oldies and other stinky nudists....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runner02155. Show Runner02155's posts

People that sit on a weight machine between sets, texting or talking on the phone.

Do your reps and get off! 

The rest I can handle or work around (ignore, wipe machine, not look/listen) but when you get in the way of my limited workout time, peeves me.  I'm there to workout and get back to work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brutsuale. Show brutsuale's posts

1.  Equipment campers
    2.  Smellies-both cologne and BO
    3.  Workout "groups" hogging equipment
    4.  Women who wear Spandex workout clothing that would fit in a business-size envelope who get offended if you look at them.  Wear a baggy t-shirt and sweatpants if you don't want to be ogled.

Ennio, come over and do legs with me.  I occasionally let out a grunt or two on my last set of leg presses-at 1,170 pounds.  That's 26 45-pound plates, and it takes a bit out of me!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from echowall. Show echowall's posts

People who post their "Gym anything" on Facebook. It's really great you're at the gym but nobody needs to know anything about it. This seems to be a female favorite for the most part. Ladies, unless you're gym tight and look like you could give Linda Hamilton a run for her money, you just sound like a "look at me I'm at the gym" idiot. Stop!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shovie. Show Shovie's posts

When people pass gas while while bench pressing. In a way it's funny because everyone knows what they just heard but the person is trying to play it cool like there's nothing out of the ordinary and nothing happened. Then it stinks up the place because the person's hopped up on 3 protein shakes and a tuna sandwich thinking this is the way to get in shape for the summer.
    Posted by borkmeistah

It annoys you when people have natural occurring bodily functions, wow. I suppose your crap doesn't stink.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

To me, the worst is the not wiping down thing.  A man who works at the same company as me (let's just say a very high up) used to hop on the machine next to me (similar to a ski machine).  He would put his head down and just start pumping his legs.  The entire work out he would keep his head down so once he started to sweat, it would drip off of his head and onto the floor.  At the end of his workouts there would be a huge pile of sweat right there on the floor in the (middle) open part of the machine.  Then he would just walk away and leave the sweat pile there.  The first time that it happened I honestly thought I was going to throw up (not to mention it really creeped me out that he basically stares at his own sweat puddle for the entire workout).  You'd figure someone in a professional position like that would have more common courtesy.  I can no longer look him in the eye when I pass him in the halls.  G-R-O-S-S!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shovie. Show Shovie's posts

How about people who  find new uses for the equipment?? Running sideways or backwards on a treadmill, or going backwards on the ellipitcal???  If you only knew how stupid you really look. sitting backwards on equipment to work their posterior 1/3 of their deltoid...yea thats gonna make you ripped buddy. Or the old dude who walks around and chats with younger ladies - meat market.
    Posted by tbag

Going backward on treadmill is part of ACL knee rehab..Works the muscles in a different way..Why would you get annoyed at something has absolutely no effect on you ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Of the complaints I've read, these are the ones I agree with the most:

1. Using weight machines as furniture.  They aren't, please move along.
    2. Using machines wrong.  Some of my reps may be pathetic, but my overall form is correct and I have been taught to use the machines
    3. Letting little kids play on the machines--dangerous and stupid.  Age limits are there for a reason, not the least of which is that a 10 year old has the attention span of a gnat most of the time.  And littler kids have no clue that the 12 on the end of the pretty purple hand weight means it weighs 12 pounds.  The 3 year old some parent put on a treadmill couldn't have reached the buttons, but could have fallen off and been hurt!
    4. Dousing oneself in perfume or cologne before working out--what's the point.
    5. Smoking before coming into the gym--I don't need to smell your last puff while I work out
    6. Not wiping machines down and WORSE--wiping your face and your machine with the SAME TOWEL.
    7. Taking up more than one space on the stretching mats.
    8. Chatting and taking up equipment that others could use.
    But I do go on!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bowis. Show bowis's posts

When I belonged to the YMCA, The older guys (retired types) used to hang around the mens locker room in the nude on the couches  while watching TV. I found this rather odd. The other disgusting thing I saw (more than once) was some guys spitting on the floor of the weight rm. Also, wiping down the equipment does NOT work if there is only ONE towel to wipe it down with. People using the same towel over and over does not work no matter how much of that mystery spray you spray on the equipment.
    Posted by remstar27

I'm not sure if this is just a generational thing, but all the guys at my gym that are over 60 have a routine where the absolute last thing they do in the locker room after their shower is to put their pants on.  They'll shave, brush their teeth, comb their hair, you name it.  After everything else is done, they put on their socks, shirt, and then FINALLY their pants.  It's almost like they're punishing the younger guys on purpose.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

People that don't put things back where they belong, ie; leaving weights on the machines or dumbells all over the place. Spitting in the water fountain and not wiping their sweat off of equipment they just used.  People hogging an area just talking with no consideration or respect for others. Gym's should have RULES posted and staff that politely enforces them.  Most just want to come there, work out and leave.
    Posted by kanamullen

At the Springfield, MA gym I go to ($20/mo), no one ever puts the weights back correctly onto the proper spots. Most times they don't even take the plates off the apparatus they just used!  Or they put the 5-lb plates behind a few 45-lb weights. I spend about 20 minutes between exercises putting other people's weights back where they belong, just considering it another form of exercise for me.  No one EVER wipes down equipment here, before OR after using it. The spray bottles are around, but they don't get used. It's disgusting. I wipe off each piece of equipment before and after I use it, and people look at me like I have 2 heads!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

Posted by remstar27

At least if there are the rolls of cheap paper towels around, they would be a far better choice than a group towel. Also, the old-timers you referred to were reminiscing about their younger days when they'd be snapping the towels at each other to see who made the biggest, most painful mark.Yell

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBoston40. Show NBoston40's posts

People lounging on exercise equipment. The worst are the women that hog the Hip Abduction/Adduction machines, they usually clueless about how to go about weight/stregnth training.  Ladies, if you are doing 5-10 lbs on the "thighmaster" machine for 20-30 minutes you need to ask someone about how to go about stregnth training if you want to make progress.

Sections
Shortcuts