What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?

In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out?:
    In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out? : I'm not sure if this is just a generational thing, but all the guys at my gym that are over 60 have a routine where the absolute last thing they do in the locker room after their shower is to put their pants on.  They'll shave, brush their teeth, comb their hair, you name it.  After everything else is done, they put on their socks, shirt, and then FINALLY their pants.  It's almost like they're punishing the younger guys on purpose.
    Posted by bowis

Maybe they just have more confidence in their units than you do in your own. It seems like the younger the male is these days, the more of a wuss he is. Even the screen stars of today seem like effeminate men compared to the admired males of the 1930's and 40's. If I see one more young guy who's shaved his body hair off because his "girlfriend likes it," I'll scream.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoanInBoston. Show GoanInBoston's posts

In addition to the ones that have been mentioned, the one I have from the establishment around Oak Square, Brighton, is when men sit in the steam room, shave, and let their facial hair shavings just fall on the steam room floor!

Yeah, seen that so many times, I don't feel like using it anymore!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

I'm irritated by scrawny guys, no sleeves, walking around like they have grapefruits under their arms. Or, just as bad....they guys who overwork their upper bodies just for looks and have pencils for legs....
    Posted by Monty-33

I can't help it that my legs are mistaken for a heron's! I've done proper leg training for years and still have those sticks holding me up. It's the genes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

If you are in the locker room, shaving, brushing teeth...doing something at the sink, put on a towel!!!
    Posted by clhSOX

Are you embarrassed about your own lack of endowment?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out? : At the Springfield, MA gym I go to ($20/mo), no one ever puts the weights back correctly onto the proper spots. Most times they don't even take the plates off the apparatus they just used!  Or they put the 5-lb plates behind a few 45-lb weights. I spend about 20 minutes between exercises putting other people's weights back where they belong, just considering it another form of exercise for me.  No one EVER wipes down equipment here, before OR after using it. The spray bottles are around, but they don't get used. It's disgusting. I wipe off each piece of equipment before and after I use it, and people look at me like I have 2 heads!
    Posted by EL17

I should add another peeve: the guys at the sink using the gym's hair dryer. I do NOT care that they're naked, but I'm disgusted when they are drying their thing off and/or their anal cavity. Yuck! Saw that in Florida several times. I also can't believe this forum forced me to use the word thing rather than the proper word that starts with "p" and ends with "s."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickstreet. Show patrickstreet's posts

All good pet peeves people! How about when you've just got off a piece of cardio equipment, or any other time you're seriously sweating, and you want nothing but a cold sip of water, but some cheap 'you know what' is filling his empty water bottle?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Josh-or-joshua. Show Josh-or-joshua's posts

The dumb bells who insist on dropping their dumbells on the floor for everyone to hear.  Two of the weights are broken because of it and won't be replaced anytime soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris5050. Show chris5050's posts

1). People that go to the gym with another person. Working out is a solo gig.  Going with another person is soooo demotivating.
    Posted by Chomp

Chomp, is this sarcasm?  Because, having a workout partner is probably the MOST motivating thing you can do.   Usually you motivate each other to make it to the gym.  You always have a spot.  You have someone to push you a little harder (extra rep, run faster, etc). You have someone that can give you honest advice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris5050. Show chris5050's posts

I don't give a crap what other people do at the gym, as long as they re-rack their weights and stay out of my way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theoldhorse2. Show theoldhorse2's posts

Unceasing, deafening, mindless pop music broadcast in the exercise rooms at the Wang YMCA, and cardio equipment out of calibration.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poody. Show poody's posts

Spin and aerobics rooms that are not cold enough!!  Especially tough for older women -- and not terribly healthy to work out in warm rooms. Left my last gym (Waverley Oaks) because they wouldn't adjust the temps -- now at WOW -- let's see what happens there!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicksjamin. Show nicksjamin's posts

I'm actually going to cancel my membership with my gym, once my contract expires.  Two reasons:

A: I go three times a week.  There are at least 3 machines that have been broken for 2 weeks, now.  This is a major chain too, so it's not like they don't have whatever part they need SOMEwhere.

B: I'm 95% sure that I caught pink eye from the place.  There seems to be at least 4-5 employees walking around pretending to look busy, and typically no one cleaning equipment like it needs to be cleaned several times daily.  

Also just as an aside....is it really necessary to stand around naked in the locker room, anymore?  I know it's supposed to be all "comfortable with my body" and whatever, but it's just not necessary.  Changing clothes is one thing.  Getting naked and then doing your hair in the mirror or sitting on one of the benches and pondering your existence for 10-15 minutes is another.  I wouldn't sit on those benches naked, if I were you.  Not if you don't want a rash! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrunchy. Show scrunchy's posts

I work out in an all women's gym.   There are women who come into the cardio room and get on an elliptical and proceed to pass gas as though they are the only person in the room!! Gross!! Do you have any dignity or consideration at all??  I guess not! 
    Also, I agree... people who do not put things away. They use weights, balls etc.. and just leave them there for someone else to clean up..
    And, the women who get on a machine and do one set and then just sit there looking at their fingernails until they feel like doing the next set... get off.. let others work in some sets.
    The basic issue is lack of consideration for others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruceJames. Show BruceJames's posts

I hate people grunting...whats up with that...a guy at Golds In Stoughton would run on the treadmill sounding as if he was running for the Gold Medal. Everyone in the Gym could hear him. I will say..if I wait for 30 mins to get on a machine and I am doing reps and getting a 1min rest in between...you best believe I am going to sit on that machine until I am finished with my reps.  Why am I going to get up and wait more just so you can waste my time? I never use the gym shower or locker room. I come ready to work out, finish up and go home to my own shower. Try it some time so you can avoid gay men trying to pick you up, fat oldies and other stinky nudists....
    Posted by GregRod87

How about sharing the machine?  If you're resting for 1 minute and I'd like to work in a 1-minute set, why should I wait for you to spend half of your 10 minutes sitting around?  Also, do you really get hit on by gay men, or are you simply self-conscious when around other men, or are you just flat-out homophobic?  And when's the last time you saw a fat old lady in the men's locker room?  Way to sound cool, tough guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchamberl. Show bchamberl's posts

Here's a couple that fall into the gym locker room category:  clipping one's toenails on the vanity/counter- even worse are the guys who do this without wearing a towel around their waist.  Worst thing I saw was one guy using the gym's hand-held hairdryer to dry off his privates (front and back).    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quercusalba. Show quercusalba's posts

could we add to the very valid list of no-no's the additional so-rude behavior of NOT SHOWERING BEFORE POOL USE??  [What, you're not going to get wet in the pool?  Going to wreck your hairdo?  It's others who are germy, lotion-laden, unclean?]  Do everyone a favor and rinse down well before joining others in the water.  Not difficult, just considerate (and required by boards of health.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebor33. Show trebor33's posts

Swimmers who splash copius amounts of water into the adjacent lanes, either because they are trying to swim like Superman or because they are so out of shape the effort needed to get their arms out of the water leaves them unable to control them on the way back down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwinboston. Show jwinboston's posts

Having the gym too cold.  I know people get warm working out, but if I'm half expecting to be able to see my breath, I don't go back there.  My elliptical is in our unfinished basement (only place it fits), and I won't use it in the Winter - bad timing as far as flab goes!
    Posted by kargiver

I am the exact opposite from you.  I cannot work in a gym that is too warm.  It makes me feel ill and saps every bit of energy from me.  I don't know how warm you expect the gym to be, but you can always put on some sweats if you need it to be warmer.  However, when I work out I'm already wearing shorts and an athletic t so there is nothing I can do if it is too warm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwinboston. Show jwinboston's posts

All good pet peeves people! How about when you've just got off a piece of cardio equipment, or any other time you're seriously sweating, and you want nothing but a cold sip of water, but some cheap 'you know what' is filling his empty water bottle?
    Posted by patrickstreet

Are you kidding me?  You do realize that we are being encouraged to use reusable water bottles to help protect something called the environment.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  Also, some of us drink a lot of water when we work out.  Do you honestly expect us to go buy a new bottle every time we finish one?  If this is your biggest gripe about using the gym you are incredibly lucky.  If this is a major problem for you then perhaps you should consider working out at home. Now that I'm finished being snarky I will say that I make try to make frequent enough trips to the water cooler so that I'm not filling the entire bottle at one time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwinboston. Show jwinboston's posts

I thought that I was a real b1tch since I'm always complaining about things at the gym, but after reading some of these comments I've discovered that I'm actually pretty laid back and reasonable.  People complaining because someone's filling a water bottle?  Please!  I'm the first one to complain about people not using workout towels and cleaning up after themselves, but we are talking about a gym.  We're human.  There's going to be some mess.  Some people are going to make some noise when the exercise.  Some are going to pass some gas (something which any trainer will tell you is very common and unavoidable because the muscle contractions caused by the exercise tends to push the excess air out whether we like it or not).  The problem is that some of you are just intolerant of other people and should probably not be using a gym at all. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massp88. Show massp88's posts

I have a few pet=peeves with people at the gym

-I don't like when people will text, email, play games on their phones between sets. You are at the gym, which probably tells me they are addicted to their phones. The other day I saw a guy who brought hi iPad into the weight area and was playing games on it between sets
    -When people take a very long time between sets. There's no reason to take 5 minutes between sets, unless you are doing a specific program that requires it(power lifts)
    -When people don't strip down the bars and machines that use plates
    -When people will stand just in front of the DB racks and do curls or something which makes it impossible to grab a set of DBs, or put them back
    -When people will finish a set, get up and walk away for a few minutes. Then come back and get aggravated if someone else has assumed they were done and started using the bench/machine/piece of equipment, etc

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEBUNBOY. Show THEBUNBOY's posts

Wow.  No wonder we as a region, and a nation for that matter, are perceived as uptight.  I shudder to think how anyone deals with the challenges and stresses of things that have more urgency than "I don't like people who come to the gym to talk to other people". Posted by themikeg

To me personally a gym is a place of work and not a social club. Still, if people need to talk to others in the gym and feel they would rather socialize then work then to each his own. It becomes a problem though if these people are hanging out on the machines and just socializing when some of us are pressed for time to get our workout in, shower and get to our place of employment. Really, if one wants to socialize then go to a bar or nightclub.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEBUNBOY. Show THEBUNBOY's posts

In Response to Re: What are your biggest pet-peeves when working out? : Are you kidding me?  You do realize that we are being encouraged to use reusable water bottles to help protect something called the environment.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  Also, some of us drink a lot of water when we work out.  Do you honestly expect us to go buy a new bottle every time we finish one?  If this is your biggest gripe about using the gym you are incredibly lucky.  If this is a major problem for you then perhaps you should consider working out at home. Now that I'm finished being snarky I will say that I make try to make frequent enough trips to the water cooler so that I'm not filling the entire bottle at one time.
    Posted by jwinboston

I'm one of those cheap pr!cks who has a water bottle. If I am filling it I always look behind me to see if someone is waiting just to get a gulp of water. If there is someone standing there with their tongue almost on the floor and panting then I will gladly step aside and let them get their drink, then go back to filling up my water bottle. It only takes a minute to give a thirsty person some courtesy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

How many times do you run this story? It seems like once a week!
    My pet peeve is when people have sex on the equipment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bawstonbred. Show bawstonbred's posts

I hate it when guys under 30 walk around in short sleave shirts.  What are you think of???  Don't you know that everyone else thinks that you are a loser?  I hate it when men of any age take a shower with no clothes on.  Ewwwwwwhhhh.  I hate it when men between the age of 27 and 45 wear clothes in the gym but not in the shower.  Give us a break.  I hate it when men who are over 35 but less than 22 drive to the gym.  What are you thinking of ???  I hate it when men who are over 23 but less than 56 use the vertical press when wearing blue gym shorts on Tuesdays.  I really don't care for men over 180 lbs who watch tv while on the treadmill.   I hate it when men work out and then go to the locker room and then go to the shower and then take a shower and then go back to the locker room and then change and then leave. I especially hate this if they are under 150lbs.  ewwwwwwwhhh.

Sections
Shortcuts