What's your favorite quirky exercise?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What's your favorite quirky exercise?

Maybe you're a Zumba fan, or perhaps rock climbing is more your speed.... or maybe you're a disc-golf pro. We want you to tell us what activities you love doing for exercise that everyone may not have heard of. If we get enough, we'll feature them in a gallery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What's your favorite quirky exercise?

Cleaning the house.  A good day of vacuuming, scrubbing, washing, etc gets my heart rate up, the heat down, and a clean house.  And, it's free and always available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneMoreBicycle. Show OneMoreBicycle's posts

Yard work. Before you all groan, done right it keeps me fit and feeling better about life. Yes, shoveling snow. Scraping & painting. Cutting grass with a real reel push mower. Raking leaves. Etc. These may be detested 'character builders' for teens, and certainly a guy who does this all day would probably deserve to catch a break at home, but for a 40-something desk-jockey, doing actual work keeps the aches & pains away from mind & body.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from outsider. Show outsider's posts

I just try to play with and keep up with my two pre-schoolers. I challenge them to races at the local park and just try to run around with them. Its really a sort of interval training, the way kids play at that age. Lots of sudden starts and stops are good for setting the metabolism at a higher rate. I like to race my son across the football field and then push the tackle dummies for a few minutes, feels like this helps the shoulders and back especially on warm days. Running around at the beach is great for the legs, planning to do a lot more of that this summer. Sunlight, sunscreen, and water! Be well!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Looks like some of us are exercising the old fashioned way, still - LIVING OUR LIVES!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greyvagabond. Show greyvagabond's posts

Kettlebells. Insane core strength, challenging, aerobic and strength training at the same time. Confirms the old adage about never getting into a fight with somebody with big forearms!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock2. Show SoxRock2's posts

I do exercise normally, I also have a second job at a store where I'm on my feet and moving heavy cases of food for my night and weekend shifts.  Just being more active helps a lot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jcon. Show Jcon's posts

Running to work since the T is late

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chapdog. Show chapdog's posts

Stacking wood to save on heating oil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Going up and down stairs at home. I get upstairs, realize I forgot something downstairs. Vice versa. Senior moments. LOL

I don't drive so every time I do errands locally, I have 2 different size carts I use, depending on the errand, and lug what I bought home in the cart(s). Good exercise.Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JessicaHaley1234. Show JessicaHaley1234's posts

BIKRAM YOGA.

90 minutes. 26 Postures. 104 degrees. Gallons of Sweat. Life Changing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AG62. Show AG62's posts

Fishing.

No, really.  I fish with artificial baits, so the upper body gets a good workout with constant casting and retrieving.  I also fish the ocean shoreline wearing waders. After tromping through the sand for 3 hours I work up a good sweat.  Freshwater fishing means hiking around a 3 mile shoreline for 2-3 hours. 

Last year I fished over 200 times and logged over 460 hours.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparrow192. Show sparrow192's posts

Im a student so live in a house and primarily work in my bedroom. Ive got a pull up bar set up on my door frame, so anytime i leave the room i do as many pull up as i can. Especially useful when i have exams and i want to procrastinate...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnH. Show FinnH's posts

Tae kwon do: cardio, balance, stretching, and strength training all in one workout, plus you're always learning something new so it never gets boring.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from highstreet. Show highstreet's posts

Sitting on my giant exercise ball - doing sit ups & using hand weights - while watching tv.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from someguy1. Show someguy1's posts

punching fools in the face!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparziale. Show sparziale's posts

Fencing, rock climbing, tap dancing, trapeze swinging, boxing, TRX Training....these are just some of the fun things that my running group has done to keep exercise fun!  Moxie Running & Adventure Club of Reading.  Our team leader is on Facebook!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotmylunchbox. Show igotmylunchbox's posts

Squatting, deadlifting, bench pressing and overhead pressing. Brutal workouts. Brutal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebean. Show thebean's posts

To break out of my gym rut a bit, I got these things called "Valslides" (I'll admit it, I got them because Jennifer Garner vouches for him, and really, what girl doesn't want to look like Jennifer Garner? It can't be just me.) and holy crap, there are some intense exercise routines you can use these suckers for--you get your heart rate up and incorporate lots of different strength training exercises too. They look like furniture movers for your feet, but if you google "valslides" you can find all sorts of circuits you can use w/out having to purchase any videos. Super portable too, so good for when traveling for business. Love love them, if for nothing else than it's different and as challenging as you make it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetz10. Show Sweetz10's posts

High Intensity Interval Training - H.I.T. Training

You do hard exercises for 2 to 3 minutes than a recovery for a minute.

You can do just about anything. You can do a minute of strength training or a minute of just running or walking in place - just to catch your breath enough to
    start another interval.

You burn more calories and there is enough variety so it's not boring.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boonies. Show Boonies's posts

someone mentioned stacking wood:  SPLITTING wood w/an 8 lb maul and then stacking it is a serious workout, especially if you're trudging through the snow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gts2525. Show gts2525's posts

I've found hundreds of ways to add spice to my workout routine on Holosfitness.com. The site has some unusual workouts and many traditional ones, its fun to mix things up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I use EA Sports Active 2 personal trainer for the Kinnect on xbox 360.  You just tell it what group you want to focus on and roughly how long of a workout you want, and it generates a series of excercises (includnig warm up and cool down).  It has a HR monitor (wireless PPG signal) which seems accurate from my work with them in the past.  It certainly helps get your heart rate up.  A fun, easy way to get in 30 minutes a day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JC126. Show JC126's posts

I don't know how quirky it is, but I love yoga, done at home with DVDs, I can't afford the cost of a studio membership. I still try to go to the gym to do the treadmill, elliptical, and weight training, but I still kind of dread it. I am always wanting to do more yoga, even when it's the vigorous kind. 
    I also like gardening, but the heavy work is done at the beginning of the season - digging the beds, putting down (organic) fertilizer and compost, etc.  
    I also love walking in the woods, kind of "light" hiking. And kayaking in the summer. Except for the yoga, anything done outside is much more fun. 

Sections
Shortcuts