Would you have an elective surgery?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Would you have an elective surgery?

Would you choose to have a double mastectomy if you didn't have to? That's just what E! news star Giuliana Rancic is going to do.

What elective surgeries would you have? Which wouldn't you? Why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Would you have an elective surgery?

First of all I don't consider having a double mastectomy when you've been diagnosed with breast cancer elective, she is doing everything she can to save her life.  The reconstructive surgery afterward is elective... but why not, she's young, beautiful and she can afford it.  I wish her the best.  There is nothing wrong with trying to look your best or appear a little younger and rejuvinated as long as you don't get carried away and it is within your means.  Unfortunately these things are very expensive and out of reach for most people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I agree that having more aggressive surgery to combat cancer isn't something I would consider "elective". If I received a cancer diagnosis..my philosophy would be if I don't need it to live..then get rid of it.
    That being said..no..I probably would not have elective surgery unless there was a quality of life issue. A couple of months ago..I messed up my knee in a number of ways. The Dr. offered me the choice of surgery or physical therapy. Although surgery would have been the quicker option..and I was in a great deal of pain at the time..I opted to give PT a shot and I don't regret it at all. Although I still have another month or so to go..the results have been great. This experience for sure reinforces by philosophy that non surgical methods should be exhausted first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My SIL just opted for a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy, and she didn't consider it elective, either, just because it was more aggressive than the least the doctor recommended for treatment.  She considered a double, but since she was getting reconstruction from her own tissue (a flap from her back) and was adamant about not wanting implants, she decided to only have the affected breast removed.  

Having gone through this vicariously through her, I believe that I'd not do a double mastectomy to decrease my odds of getting cancer in the currently unaffected breast and definitely not if I had high risk but no cancer in either one.  It's been a very hard year for her to say the least, and she is not even done with the cosmetic part of it yet.  And, the emotional ramifications are beyond what can be discussed here.  Thankfully, though, she's cancer free and has a great prognosis.  And, she doesn't regret leaving the healthy breast right where it is.

Sections
Shortcuts