Affordable Granite Countertops?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from havingmycake. Show havingmycake's posts

Affordable Granite Countertops?

Anyone have any recommendations on the most affordable folks out there to get granite countertops from / install them?

As a new homeowner on a tight budget, I'm just starting to research our kitchen renovations, and am trying to figure out where to start.

THANKS in advance!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Re: Affordable Granite Countertops?

Also, where are you located?

That is also a significant factor in any recommendation.

ETA: I found granite through a smaller company that was much more cost-effective, including installation, than the solid surface option at Home Depot. If that's your starting estimate, you can find higher-quality granite elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Granite doesn't top my list of "tight budget" countertop materials, generally speaking.  If you want a high end expensive material for your counters and have a tight budget you'll need to save money on some other aspect of the renovation, not find cheaper granite - the price range of granite isn't that wide.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Agree with Kar. There is not much leverage on granite counter tops. We cut some price off by going to a granite importer - thus cutting off the middle man. They will cut it for you. But you have to find an installer. The installer will make templates for your counters then give it to your granite importer, who will then cut the slabs and the installer will install the counters.
    For us it made sense, as we had a very large kitchen (42 feet of counter space, counting everything) and 5 bathrooms to do. Some marble, but it is basically the same. Also, we were able to go to the importer and select our slabs. Which was nice - colors and veining differs so much. The samples you see in the store will not look like what you eventually will get.
    But truly, if you just have a normal size kitchen with maybe an island, the savings will not be worth your hassle to go through what we did.
    Good luck with your new kitchen - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you did what DH did for our kitchens, bathrooms, outside steps, and lamp posts.  He saved a lot of money, too, by installing them himself, although, that's not a reasonable expectation of most home owners.  Even still, I don't consider the granite to have been a "tight-budget" choice even with avoiding the middle man and doing his own installation.  But, maybe choosing one of the more expensive counter options on a tight budget seems counterintuitive Wink to just me.  (I couldn't resist that one.)

Where is the OP with the answers to the questions others posted here?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haha my friend! You are funny.
    Right, granite is expensive, no matter how you look at it (or pay for it). There are many relatively less expensive choices. I have had Formica, Corian and marble (the worst) in the past. Nothing stands up to my granite counter tops. Granite is durable and so easy to take are of.
    I would much rather save my money on something else, before I would let go of my granite counter tops. But of course, my kitchen is my work space - my kitchen counters take a lot of abuse. - Pingo

Ps. My hat off to your DH for installing them himself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, we love our granite, too, for all the reasons you mentioned, and I'd also recommend skimping on something else to get it because what the OP asked for, tight-budget granite, doesn't exist.

Thanks, DH worked so hard on this house.  It really paid off, though.  Everything he didn't do himself he looks at with disdain for its not having been done to his standards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldwatson015. Show donaldwatson015's posts

It is really hard to find a affordable granite cause many of them are really expensive but the quality are really good .In fact when i have a renovation at home the granite is more expensive rather than a door that i bought from http://www.mattiovi.fi/ and i can't believe that.

Sections
Shortcuts