Basment Floor/Wall Options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sdatish. Show sdatish's posts

I have a basement that is unfinished. Most of the floor it is cement with a small section of some type of old tile that is cracked and chipping up. The walls are cement too. I would like to finish the basement to use as a play/TV room. My plan was to remove the old tile, paint the walls and floor with a concrete paint, and frame out a small section for the washer/dryer. The basement is fairly dry, the floor does get a little condensation in one area in the summer. It's about 40x50 feet.

What would you recommend for the floor and walls? Thanks. -S

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msts-1. Show msts-1's posts

How high are the ceilings and are there pipes/conduits? The tiles may have asbestos in them if they are old. What I would do and is probably illegal is put a poly sheet over the whole floor and extend it up the wall about six inches. Then I would put down 1x3's on their flat sides about 16" on center. Put a plywood floor over that with construction adhesive. If you have enough headroom, you could put a layer of the rigid foam insulation on top of the plastic, then the sleepers, then the plywood/sheathing. Now you have a nice, water-tight and possibly insulated floor.
    Do the walls next. Rent a tapcon system for driving screws into the walls through the 1x3, trimming out the walls so the 1x3's are even with eachother. You don't want the walls to go in and out. Put a plstic barrier over the 1x3'. Next finish with whatever material you desire. I like putting wood over the concrete because its softer and warmer in a basement and if kids use it, softer on their heads.

Sections
Shortcuts