Birch tree is having trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Birch tree is having trouble

I have a birch tree that is losing leaves.  It was planted 8 years ago.  It was going great until this past weekend.

2 things were done to the lawn/tree in the days prior to the birch tree having problems.  On Thursday, I sprayed the yard with a weed killer.  I sprayed a little too much on the yard, but the grass seems to be doing OK.  I did not get within 7 feet of the birch tree with the weed killer.

On Firday, I cut some of the lower branches.  I've cut lower branches before without encountering any issues, although I don't the season when I had previously cut the branches.

On Sunday, I noticed a few leaves on the ground and leaves in the tree turing yellow.  More leaves have fallen.  Mare leaves are turning yellow.  And some of the leaves are turning brown and have dried up while still on the tree.

My gut is that I shocked the tree.  But it looks like the tree is dying.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Birch tree is having trouble

My DH doesn't prune his trees in the summer.  I wasn't sure why, but I looked up birch tree pruning and found this - maybe it got infested?

Pruning of birch trees should NOT be done between May 1 and August 1. This is the flight period of the bronze birch borer, and it has been shown that female birch borers are attracted to fresh pruning wounds. If pruning must be done during this time period, treat the wound with a registered insecticide. Wound dressings should not be used since they are not effective at repelling borers and do not promote closing of wounds.

From this link

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I didn't want to prune the tree but it had a growth spurt and the limbs were trailing down to eye level, which is a problem because the tree is close to the sidewalk.  And if I don't it the prune it a little, an unknown neighbor takes it upon themselves to cut offending branches.

I think it's a little soon after the pruning for any damage by birch borers to be so extensive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Are there any other sick birches around?  Maybe it wasn't the pruning since it does seem pretty early for systemic damage to appear from the pruning, bugs, or whatever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

www.garden-guys.com   They know everything!   96.9 FM Radio Sundays 6am-9am   call in or post your questions on their website.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I think tree roots can extend to something like twice the height of the tree, so it is possible that some of the weed killer is causing the problem.

I don't really have any advice, just a related observation. Our white birch has been losing some leaves over the last few weeks. Not enough that we're concerned, but just enough that we've noticed and remarked on it being odd for this time of year.

Good luck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

Birches have shallow root systems and dropping leaves in mid-summer isn't at all uncommon. They're very susceptible to heat stress.   With the general lack of rain lately and fairly warm temps, unless you've been watering it properly a few times a week the ground is probably extremely dry (my yard is hard like a brick right now...) and your tree is suffering from it.  The pruning and weed killer probably didn't help the situation but I don't think they are the main causes either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The worst seems to be over.  The tree lost about 60-70% of its leaves, but it doesn't look like any more leaves are turning brown. 

It went from being a beautiful full tree to being very thin in less than a week.  But it looks like it's going to live.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good news, DWL - at least it's going to live.  Leaves are going to start falling relatively soon, anyway...sigh.