Buying Plants online

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Buying Plants online

Hello-  I am planning some future landscaping in my yard, specifically adding a bunch of forsythia to a hill so I don't have to mow it :) and adding a rhodo or two as well.  I know I could go to a local nursery to get these plants (and I am not planning on planting them now but I have read up and I understand early fall is a good time to plant forsythia) but I am interested in online sources for the convenience factor.  My family does gifts and they always ask for ideas and I thought why not let them know about the plants I would like and they could gift that since I don't need another sweater.

Have you ever ordered plants online and if so how was the experience?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Buying Plants online

My DH is an avid gardener and landscaper.  He even worked on a commercial farm for a number of years.  Anywho, he's not all that computer savvy (finding the internet generally to be "evil" LOL), and he buys about 80% of our "real" plants online.  We have about 4 varieties of apple trees, 2 varieties of pears, a couple of peach trees, and 2 nut trees (filberts and walnuts).  A cherry tree died, but it wasn't because it was obtained from online; it thrived for a couple of years but got a disease last year.  He also ordered asparagus that did very well.  You can plant that from seed, but it takes years to mature and produce anything that way so he ordered stalks.

I'll see if I can find one of the magazines/catelogs he orders from lying around...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

That would be great, with the new house we have a ton of grapes (concord I believe), 3 pear trees, 1 peach tree, and a walnut tree.  Sadly I don't like pears and they seem to be most abundant, and I haven't tried a peach they never look ripe.  And for the walnut tree all I have seen are rotten shells, I don't know if they produce their nuts in the spring and we missed them or if the squirels have made out with them.

But we have a lot of wide open space and I don't want to put up a fence for privacy, I would rather plant something to screen the neighbhors rather than just putting up an fence. And I can wait for some of the things I want to plant to mature and expand to fill the area.  I am also looking at some lilacs, and maybe a rhodo as well.

It is too bad that my Mom lives in a different zone, otherwise I would have tried to score some plants off her when she plans to thin out her plants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wendy,
    I had very bad luck with buying plants on line from Wayside garden. They have a beautiful catalog, and I ordered 4 of their Forever Summer Hydrangeas paying good money for them. They came in a long cardboard box, but was just four tiny sprigs with the leaves already eaten up by some bugs. There was no way in the world I would plant those. They guarantee their plants, so I returned them the same day I received them. I had the hardest time getting my money back. All they would give me was a store credit. I don't remember where they are located, but I knew I would never be able to use this credit. Writing and calling didn't help a bit. Fortunately, I had charged them to my Amex card, so I wrote Amex and send them copies of our correspondence. Finally after 6 months a credit showed up on my statement.
    As far as Forsythia are concerned, they are the easiest plants to grow. If you have a neighbor or friend with some, ask for a few good size side shoots (they will probably be happy to trim them) and just stick them in the ground. They should root easily. I would think right now would be a good time or in the early Spring, where we still have a lot of rain. You can start with a few, they propagate easily.
    If you have a Costco around, they have very nice Azaleas and Rhodos early Spring. We have bought from them and were very happy with the plants. They usually come in gallon size pots and are god size plants for a great prize. But you have to buy, when you see them - they move out of the store fast.
    We have also been happy buying from Home Depot.
    It is always nice to see the plants you buy. Mail order plants are usually tiny and skimpy. Good luck with the project.

In Response to Buying Plants online:
    [QUOTE]Hello-  I am planning some future landscaping in my yard, specifically adding a bunch of forsythia to a hill so I don't have to mow it :) and adding a rhodo or two as well.  I know I could go to a local nursery to get these plants (and I am not planning on planting them now but I have read up and I understand early fall is a good time to plant forsythia) but I am interested in online sources for the convenience factor.  My family does gifts and they always ask for ideas and I thought why not let them know about the plants I would like and they could gift that since I don't need another sweater. Have you ever ordered plants online and if so how was the experience?
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Pingo that is a good idea about asking neighbors but we have only met one, and she doesn't have any forsythia in her yard.  I have also posted on craigslits since you can find the oddes things and they have a "wanted" and a "garden" section and have nothing.

The reason I want reputable online sources as I stated in my original post was so that I have a place to suggest when family says what do you want for your birthday/Christmas.  They would rather order something than give me a GC to HD and say go get some plants when they are in season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I understand Wendy, I feel like your parents do. I am not much of a GC giver myself. But with plants I think it is different. Bc - who plants plants and shrubs in New England around Christmas time?
    I have given garden gifts to my son and DIL. I cut out plants, trees, shrubs from a catalog, glue it to a card and wrap it in a gift box. They can then go and pick it up and buy it at the right time. It worked well for us.
    You may not know all your neighbors yet. But another idea is to stop by a house you see have a lot of Forsythia. Ring the door bell and ask them to please call you, when they are trimming their Forsythia. That happened to us once in our old home, where we had a several huge Forsythia. We told the couple to just dig up as much as the wanted. We were happy to have them trimmed.
    When we moved, we dug up large clumps of them and planted them in our new home. They still live happily there.

Sections
Shortcuts