Can rubber roofing material also work as deck flooring by itself?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulangi. Show paulangi's posts

Can rubber roofing material also work as deck flooring by itself?

My landlord (a good guy) is planning to replace my nice old deck, with its asphalt flooring--which I use almost every day for sitting, gardening, and doing wood-working--with rubber decking materials, the popular EPDM, I assume. Can this rubber roofing material be flooring as well by itself? The contractor is going to bring some "pads" with it--but I don't want to move around pads every time I put a chair or table on the roof. Can't find a clear answer on the Web whether EPDM rubber roofing is okay as deck flooring (I wonder about smell as well). txs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

Re: Can rubber roofing material also work as deck flooring by itself?

I don't think you'll have any issues with smells after a day or two.

EPDM isn't supposed to be walked on (directly at least) and I don't know of anyone that would recommend using it for a decking material. Manufacturers warn against anything more than periodic walking traffic.  But it is possible that he isn't planning on using EPDM at all. 

There is a product called "IB DeckShield" that is designed to be used much like EPDM but also has a durable surface so it can be walked on routinely and you can put things like patio furniture on it.  It's PVC instead of EPDM and made by IB Roof Systems.  http://www.ibroof.com/

I've read about the IB DeckShield but haven't seen it installed or in use so I can't speak to how well is actually works.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Can rubber roofing material also work as deck flooring by itself?

Paulangi,
    A rubber roof is NOT to be walked on, except for an occasional maintenance of f.ex. an A/C or the roof it self. I have a rubber roof in my office building as well as one place in my home. It is a roofing material, not a flooring material. I guess, someone is living under your deck, that now is leaking (you said it was old)  and your landlord has to repair it the best he can. To reinstall an asphalt roof is difficult and expensive.  If the rubber roof tears, it is expensive to repair. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts