Caulking....is there some trick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbnickerson. Show jbnickerson's posts

Caulking....is there some trick?

I have a couple of places on my tub that need to be recaulked.  I purchased a caulking gun, a tube of caulking and the necessary tool to smooth it.  I inserted the tube of caulking into the gun, snipped off the end of the tube but I cannot seem to get the caulking to come out.  I am squeezing the handle on the gun.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Caulking....is there some trick?

Maybe it's not snipped as far down as it needs to be.  Are you sure the tube is actually open?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I agree with Kargiver. Or maybe it s an old tube of caulking - all dried out. Go to the store and exchange it. Look at the date on the tube. If the store doesn't have one of a newer date, return it and find another store.
    Seems you have all what you need to do the job. It is not a difficult DIY job. Good luck!

To do a really good job, it will be a good idea to scrape out the old caulking all around the tub and apply a new bead of caulk all around the entire tub.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, as well, with Pingo - get all the old caulking off first, or the patch will always be noticeable not to mention that if part of it is worn out it's only a matter of time before more needs to be patched; better to do it all at once.

Update?  Did you get it going?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Could be "old" caulking - dried up in the tube OR you did not cut the tip back far enough...

Clean the surface you are applying it to with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) prior to application.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbnickerson. Show jbnickerson's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

I agree, as well, with Pingo - get all the old caulking off first, or the patch will always be noticeable not to mention that if part of it is worn out it's only a matter of time before more needs to be patched; better to do it all at once.

Update?  Did you get it going?

I have not got it going yet.  I went back to HD and asked someone there.  I can see into the tube so I think it is cut off enough so that it is open.  He told me to use the metal needle thing on the tool and stick it inside the opening.  I did that and nothing.  I guess my next step is to take the caulking back and get a new one.  I don't even know what the date is on the one I bought.  This is a "Bathfitter" job done 4 or 5 years ago, so I will remove all of the caulking and start over.  Thanks.  I'll keep you posted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I suggest bringing the whole setup to HD and having them show you how to use the gun; I'm sure it's some little thing you are missing.  (I think it's very unlikely, no offense to the other posters, that the caulking you bought is so old that it won't come out, although possible, because white bath caulking sells regularly so the shelf stock turns over before it can get very old.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

In response to jbnickerson's comment:

I have not got it going yet.  I went back to HD and asked someone there.  I can see into the tube so I think it is cut off enough so that it is open.  He told me to use the metal needle thing on the tool and stick it inside the opening.  I did that and nothing.  I guess my next step is to take the caulking back and get a new one.  I don't even know what the date is on the one I bought.  This is a "Bathfitter" job done 4 or 5 years ago, so I will remove all of the caulking and start over.  Thanks.  I'll keep you posted.

I'd guess that the "needle" is to short.  There is an air-tight barrier put in the tube when it is manufactured so the caulk doesn't dry out if the tip gets broken off in shipping. That barrier is about 3" down the tip.  I usually cut off a 10" piece of wire hangar (with a heavy pair of pliers) and use that to break the barrier and the caulk flows freely after that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

IMO   It's easier to pay a handyman to do these things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbnickerson. Show jbnickerson's posts

Thanks Jim-in-Littleton for that suggestion.  Indeed, the needle my not be long enough.  When I stuck it in the caulking tube, there was no resistance at all so maybe it did not reach the barrier.  I'll give the hanger fix a try  and then if that doesn't work, I figure out something else.  Grrrr!  I thought this was going to be fairly simple and I could handle it.  Maybe not.  I'm not a stupid woman and this has me frustrated.  Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Return the stuff to the hardware store, get your money back.

Check your supermarket bulletin board for handyman ads.

That's what I would do.     Been there done that :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

IMO   It's easier to pay a handyman to do these things.

It's called a "Jewish Tool Box"....just pay a handyman

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Nevermind :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, it is a really easy job to do. No need for a handyman, unless you are really clumsy and have 10 thumbs. A handyman will charge at least 4 hrs. plus mileage and gas surcharge. To scrape out the old cauking is what takes time. Any one can do that. I would estimate at least $150 to have someone else do it. You can get lots of caulking tubes for that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I still think it's easier to have someone else do it.  Plus the scraping is hard labor!  

Sections
Shortcuts