Central Air -- Cost?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Central Air -- Cost?

We're planning a remodel of our house which would not add much square footage, but would rearrange existing rooms on our second floor.  Because of this, existing air conditioning vents needs to be moved and some need to be added.

Our AC is 15+ years old, and our general contractor got an estimate for replacing it -- $24,000(!).  Mind you, this is for a system that only cools the second floor, not the main first floor.  I'm thinking this estimate is high (very), and it is particularly high given that we wil end up with pretty much what we have now (AC on the second floor), though of course the new system would be more energy efficient.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and does this cost seem nuts, or am I just out of touch?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Central Air -- Cost?

OK

There are two pieces to central A/C: The compressor (outside your house )
    and the Air Handler (in your attic).

What does this guy want to do? Ad both pieces OR just swap out to a larger compressor?

Will all rooms on the second floor NEED A/C? Have you considered a "split" a/c unit?  Could be more cost effective.

$24K sounds like a lot - is that parts and labor or just the a/c hardware???

I would certainly shop around for several quotes - research the hardware being quoted - Traine, Carrier.........

NOTE: Some manufacturers make "no name" equals but at lower price points...check into that too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Thanks for the feedback, Roger.

They want to replace both the compressor and the air handler.  My understanding was that much of the cost of A/C was in the labor to put in all the duct work.  Since most of the duct work is already in place, I was surprised at the cost (which includes labor).  Also, this covers only the second floor, so all the duct work is in the attic -- there's no construction of chases or anything to bring air to the first floor.

I would have thought it was high even if it included the first floor, but without it, it seems astronomical to me.  Plus we have to pay the 18% GC commission on top of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

So, $24K + 18%.......will they kiss you first????

Get other quotes! There are companies out there begging for business! You owe it to yourself even if it saves you a couple of grand!

Split A/C requires NO DUCT WORK!  The A/C unit looks like a baseboard heater but is mounted at the top of the wall. It's good for a single larger room but NOT for multiple rooms. For about $2K!...see below

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Split+a/c&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4241204985901235553&sa=X&ei=MeWuT6a-Fajc0QG-xeGgDA&ved=0CJkBEPMCMAA#

Shop for a minimum of three quotes and compare product!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

If you had said they quoted you $6k-$8K I'd have just nodded and said "Go with it...".  But $24K?  Were you wearing a "Hi! My name is: STUPID!" t-shirt?

Either you have a very special A/C requirement or these guys think you're made of gold. 

Go get more quotes.  And bypass your GC.  18% commission for doing what? If he's that brazen in trying to rip you off I'd be wary of everything he does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

My house is 1000sq feet. We had a few quotes for everything, the compressor, putting in duct work and an upgrade to the electrical system to handle the unit. They averaged $10,000. I realize this is Virginia, but 24k still sounds exhorbitant to me.

Sections
Shortcuts