Construction estimates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Construction estimates

The only estimate that matters is the one given to you by the contractor that is actually going to complete the work.  Get some estimates from a few contractors, review then and then hire the contractor that you think gives you the best return for your money. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Construction estimates

I agree with ALF - bring a few reputable general contractors to look at the job and give you an estimate.  They will know what needs to be done to complete the job from your first contractor.  Also, you may be able to price out the materials yourself, but I wouldn't guestimate on the labor costs on a construction job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Construction estimates

I agree with both Alf and Jag. The rule of thumb is to always get at least 3 estimates. Then compare them and take the lowest of the two closests ones.  There are times, when it is not the best idea to take  the very lowest one, if this contractor are way far off the other two.  He may use shoddy materials - or go for extras later.  Contractors love extras.
    Also to protect yourself make sure that you have everything in writing. Have the contractor specify in writing exactly what kind of windows, door knobs, tiles, floor materials etc. he is going to use. Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antor. Show antor's posts

Construction estimates

Hi - You may want to check www.fixr.com - you can post your construction/renovation request online and you will receive estimates from different contractors.

The estimates are public -each contractor sees each other's estimates- which
    creates a competitive environment for the contractors to submit competitive bids.
    The more you describe the project (sq footage, you can upload pictures if required) the more accurates the estimates will be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Construction estimates

Antor might be on to something...if you get any responses. That has always been a problem for me. The old maxim is to get three estimates. In the past, I have had to call 2 or 3 contractors before I could even find 1 to come and look at the project.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Construction estimates

Commercial investors insist on penalty contracts when they get an estimate since their key factor is time.They are paying interest on their loans from insurance companies,banks,savings and loans.
    I would suggest a simple penalty contract for any project with any contractor.It gives them the window to be on time and forces them to the job when things are running slow.
    Those who know the restaurant business know the owner must watch the place because their register and profits can disappear. So too with contractors and subcontractors. They need to have a sense of urgency for the cyclical nature of construction allows them far too much room for delay.

Sections
Shortcuts