Finding it hard to go green?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you want to go green, but not know where to start? What is stopping you from initiating these plans? Tell us, and we'll try to help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lpoussard. Show lpoussard's posts

We are doing our best to go green as best we can, but I simply don't like the new bulbs. We have a few, but I find myself replacing them in certain rooms because I don't like the light they give off. I do know that they are improving them with respect to the color of the light, but I haven't gone out and bought any of the new ones yet.

Oh, and from my research, to dispose of them, it said to check with your local recycling organization. That lead to dead ends, but then of course, this is Boston, always behind the eight ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Check with Wal-Mart and Home Depot, I believe they both set up recycling centers for the CFL's. Particularlly Wal-Mart they had a bit push to sell 100 Million CFLs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from williamwilliam. Show williamwilliam's posts

I have some energy efficient light bulbs but I just noticed they are filled with mercury! If one of them breaks it will poison us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from columbine. Show columbine's posts

Anybody know where I can get BioBag food waste bags in quantity? I use them when I clean the litterbox, and have been buying the expensive boxes of 25 from drugstore.com. I'd love to find a more efficient supplier!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2309826. Show user_2309826's posts

Hi Haloween,
    Are you in Boston?
    Here are the regulations:
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/publicworks/recycling/RecCurbside.asp
    Sounds pretty easy (maybe the have actually responded to complaints like yours and streamlined the process...)
    You can just use your own plastic container if that easier (they'll even send you a sticker).
    Go for it! You will be shocked at how much you recycle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goforut. Show goforut's posts

I've read that CFLs are actually inefficient for lights that are on for only brief periods (i.e., Laundry rooms). Is this true and what is the cut-off for 'brief'?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goforut. Show goforut's posts

Each week, I dutifully throw my handful of cans and bottles into my blue recycling bin. Then I go to a restaurant or bar and see them throwing hundreds and hundreds of beer and wine bottles into (what looks like) the trash.

Is there any official or unofficial policy in Mass or Boston that encourages commercial operations to recycle? I'm sure the logistical hurdles for restaurant/bar owners are large, but the potential payback also seems very large.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nashgal. Show nashgal's posts

I am replacings some light fixtures inside my home.� What is the difference between a light fixture that is energy star efficient and a regular fixture with CF bulbs.� Also I have noticed the energy star light fixtures �are usually much more expensive.� Do you know why?� Are they greener in the longrun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I believe you can drive to Home Depot or Wal-Mart to recycle CFL.� So far mine haven't burned out and I only have them in select areas not all my lights.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elainsey. Show elainsey's posts

I live alone in an apartment in Somerville/Cambridge and have been wanting to try composting.� I know there are small composters out there like the happy farmer, but I'm just not sure it makes sense for me to do it... I don't have a garden or many houseplants... what would I do with the resulting composte?�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]

I recently purchased a house in the suburbs of Boston and wanted to start going a little more green when we moved.  My first step was to research composting.  When I read you can't put pet waste into the compost bin I reconsidered!  Does anyone have suggestions? 

[/Quote]

I will assume that you do the weekly recycling of plastic/glass/paper etc with your trash.  I replaced some not all light bulbs with CFLs, I cannot find one that is acceptable in dimmers (but I know that they are made) and for some I need a clean white light and a lot of CFLs have a bluish tint.

If you have a house in the burbs, get a rain barrel and use that to collect rain to water your outdoor or indoor plants.  If your lawn is not too large consider getting a push lawn mower think Brady Bunch.  If you have a tiny patch of lawn (depending on the suburb this is possible) it may be better and cheaper than a motorized one.

Keep the cloth bags in your car, it takes a while to remember to take them from the car to the store but it happens.  I think it took about 5 trips for me.  And after I empty the bags in my house I put the bags with my purse for the next trip out to the car.

For your oustide if you have lights along a sidewalk then consider replacing them with solar lights.  Also for an oustide light rather than have it on a switch put it on a motion sensor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyjane70. Show crazyjane70's posts

[Quote]

We are doing our best to go green as best we can, but I simply don't like the new bulbs. We have a few, but I find myself replacing them in certain rooms because I don't like the light they give off. I do know that they are improving them with respect to the color of the light, but I haven't gone out and bought any of the new ones yet.

Oh, and from my research, to dispose of them, it said to check with your local recycling organization. That lead to dead ends, but then of course, this is Boston, always behind the eight ball.

[/Quote]

I hate the light as well but I have installed them in places that you don't really notice like inside closets, in the basement/attic and the outside light over the front door.  Keep the halogens and incandesants for your living space and over the bathroom sink for makeup and such. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

lose 50 lbs for the poor planet, roads, airplanes, etc. PLEASE!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

and bridges that are ready to collapse

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

and bridges that are ready to collapse

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyjane70. Show crazyjane70's posts

[Quote]I've read that CFLs are actually inefficient for lights that are on for only brief periods (i.e., Laundry rooms). Is this true and what is the cut-off for 'brief'?[/Quote]

False  they busted that myth
    http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/12/episode_69_22000_foot_fall_lig.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyjane70. Show crazyjane70's posts

[Quote]

I'm having a hard time with going green. I'm the type of person who likes to do something 110% so I find it hard to commit. I read a book called "Gorgeously Green" and felt so overwhelmed by all the� things I should be doing to go green and the fact that there isn't many resources up here in the sticks (Northern Massachusetts). Is there any resources out there for ladies that become green that is a little more user friendly?

[/Quote]

I totally get the "all in or nothing" feeling but for "greening" you may be better off admitting defeat for the 110%.  It's really hard to do everthing the green way.  Start off with the easy things like reusable grocery bags and work your way up.  Start using the reusable bags this week.  Then next week change out a couple of non-living space lightbulbs to CFLs.  Then the week after that start taking your reusable cup to starbucks instead of getting a new paper/plastic one every time.  As your household cleaners run out start buying ones that aren't so harsh on the envrionment.  Slowly but surely you'll work your way up to being super green.  I have gotten to the point that I try to take my plastic trash home from the office with me to recycle in my bin.  I do what I can so when I do something that's not so green (which happens) I don't feel too bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeebelle59. Show yankeebelle59's posts

[Quote]Anybody know where I can get BioBag food waste bags in quantity? I use them when I clean the litterbox, and have been buying the expensive boxes of 25 from drugstore.com. I'd love to find a more efficient supplier![/Quote]

I got mine and a stainless steel recycle kitchen counter pail from www.gardeners.com 
    http://www.gardeners.com/Biobag%20compost%20pail%20liners/34-028,default,pd.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauloz. Show pauloz's posts

Will the welfare recipients be willing to do ANYTHING??????

Obama promises tuition tax credit

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 10 minutes ago

TAYLOR, Mich. - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama recalled paying off his own mountain of student loan debt and promised struggling college students Tuesday he would help them pay for school.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Traveller. Show Traveller's posts

My husband and I really try to be more environmentally friendly, but we aren't perfect.  We keep all our shopping bags and reuse them - as trash liners, on walks with the dog, packing material for mailing gifts, etc.  We have transferred about half of our light bulbs over to the newer ones.  I agree the lighting is different, but honestly it just takes getting used to.  Our outside lights are on a sensor, but we also have a series of "switch lights" that we rarely turn on as a backup.  (great if you are expecting people, and they are looking for a house number, etc) 

I will say our biggest change is getting a pellet stove insert put into our fireplace in the family room.  The pellets are a clean burn, the cost of running it isn't bad, and it honestly cut our heating costs (and usage) significantly in the first year.  I am looking forward to that next winter!

I do highly recommend the pellet stove if anyone is even considering it.  There are stand-alone units and inserts into existing fireplaces.  You still get that roaring fire, but far less mess to clean.  Sure there is the initial cost, but it is worth it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

RE: recycling
    I read an article about recycling a while ago. The author wondered how much recycling is offset by driving dozens (hundreds?) of diesel-burning trucks around each city and town to pick up recyle bins.  
    A better solution would be to put recycle bins where people frequently travel, like gas stations or supermarkets, etc.  Then you wouldn't need so many trucks to pick up all the bins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clevermisfit. Show clevermisfit's posts

Its really not all that hard, what might be difficult is just changing your current habits.
    1. Recycle everything that your town allows. My wife and I maybe only put out about 1/2 a small bag of trash a week.
    2. Compost food scraps. Some towns sell compost bins cheap and some even sell the small counter-top fast composters which are great for appartments.
    3. Use cloth grocery bags. You can buy them very cheap (like a $1 a piece) at most grocery stores. Some stores even give you discounts if you bring your own.
    4. Reuse what you can like plastic food containers and plastic bags.
    5. Use CF lights. If you look closely you can find the different color spectrums. most people are too lazy and just buy the cheapest instead of looking for their ideal spectrum. I suggest sylivania soft white. But again find the right spectrum for your personal tastes. THe ones that have plastic covers too look like regular incandescent bulbs give off a whiter light and the plastic cover protects the light from breaking. The mercury in there is actually very insignificant. Regular flourecent lights have more and we are exposed to more mercury from coal fired plants anyway. Many stores that sell CF lights also recycle them.
    6. Have a garden to grow your own food and do it organicly. Plant your vegetables in groups that combat certain insects. Ie tomatoes and basil, radishes and cucumbers. Buy some lady bugs. Use chicken poop fertilizer (works amazing!)
    7. Use organic lawn care items instead of harsher chemicals. (note organic fertilizers are often still chemicals, but either less toxic or even non toxic)
    8. Use reel mowers or electric mowers and trimmers if you lawn is small enough. Reel mowers work great if you keep on top of the mowing, they dont work so hot when the grass is long.
    9. When renovating use green certifed lumber and materials. Sterritt lumber in watertown is a pretty good supplier of green materials.
    10. Buy green cleaning products. I can often find comparable products for similar prices, you just need to look. There is always the brand thats trying to make a ton of money off of being green, but there is usually many other products that are only a few cents more .
    11. Buy as much organic and local food as you can. Some stores even have their own organic labels now. I only buy the stuff that has a reasonable mark up and avoid the stuff that is overpriced. Hannifords is a pretty good place for organic brands and they have their own label. There isnt much of a price difference, although sometimes the sizes are slightly smaller.
    12. Get some rain barrels. Sometimes you can get the barrels for cheap from places like food processing plants because some of their ingredients come in the barrels.
    13. Reuse the water from dehumidifiers to water plants and lawn.
    14. Insulate your house to at least the reccomended levels.
    15. Get your energy from renewable sources.
    16. Use a clothesline in the summer
    17. Use public transportation or carpool. Most cars on the highway in the morning only have 1 person in them.
    18. Keep your cars tires inflated and keep up on secheduled maintenance.
    19. Keep your heat and air conditioning at comfortable but not excessive levels.
    20 turn off lights and unplug appliances when you are not using them. Flat screen tvs,  cable boxes and cell phone chargers use a ton of electricity even when off.

Very important! Dont rush out and buy a new "green" item if you have an older model unless its really inefficient. Its creates more waste to go buy a new lawn mower or a new "green" couch and trash the old one.

Seems like a lot, but its really not. Most of this is just keeping your eyes open for alternatives. Do what you can within your own means. not everyone can do everything, but if everyone does some of the things it can make a big difference. Again, since it was the biggest complaint, MOST stores that sell CF lights recycle them. Therefore when you need new lights bring the old ones in at the same time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

Start with the destruction of Green maintenance of the banks of the Charles.

Chemical maintenance replaced green at Eberosol Fields.  Part of the chemical maintenace was the poison Tartan which has caused an annual blooming of algae.

The DCR and Cambridge are repeating this outrage at Magazine Beach, when they recently "encouraged swimming" by installing a bizarre wall of bushes blocking access between the Charles River and Magazine Beach and starved the local wild life further by blocking their access.

Then you get into the twice annual destruction of protective vegetation along the Charles.

Then you get into the annual poisoning of as much eggs of water fowl as can be accomplished along the Charles.

Part of the real problem is lovely stories by the Boston Globe combined with total lack of interest to the fact that the DCR is working to make things worse and, in Cambridge, with full assistance of that environmentally destructive government.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from abet6d. Show abet6d's posts

[Quote]I totally get the "all in or nothing" feeling but for "greening" you may be better off admitting defeat for the 110%.  It's really hard to do everthing the green way.  Start off with the easy things like reusable grocery bags and work your way up.  Start using the reusable bags this week.  Then next week change out a couple of non-living space lightbulbs to CFLs.  Then the week after that start taking your reusable cup to starbucks instead of getting a new paper/plastic one every time.  As your household cleaners run out start buying ones that aren't so harsh on the envrionment.  Slowly but surely you'll work your way up to being super green.  I have gotten to the point that I try to take my plastic trash home from the office with me to recycle in my bin.  I do what I can so when I do something that's not so green (which happens) I don't feel too bad.[/Quote]
    You are right, crazyjane, my husband and me started our green way about 2 years ago and now we do everything green easy, we get new habit, we have been changing ourself! And I feel less gilty infront of next generation.
    We changed our bulb in the house and at the business place. we use paper/plastic bags several times and I use plastic bags for the trash contaners. We don't leave light on in the room,where we aren't. My husband will fix the oil tank for solar this summer. I know we have to do more and we try. Let's do it together!