Gas v Electric OVEN (not range)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gas v Electric OVEN (not range)

Hi, everyone,

"Duel Fuel" gas ranges (gas too, electric oven) are a zillion dollars more than all-gas (gas top and oven) so I assume that means electric ovens are better than gas ovens.  What else would drive the price to nearly double?

I said no to that and got a new all-gas range (mainly for the range capability) to replace a range with an electric oven.  For those of you who have used both an electric oven and a gas oven, what is the number one drawback of the all-gas, and how do you make the most of or get around that issue?  

I'm aware (book knowledge) that a gas oven is a more "moist heat," but what does that really mean in terms of baking?  Roasting?

Thanks!

ETA: It's a convection gas oven, by the way, if that helps, and the electric I'm used to was convection as well, but I hardly ever used that setting...just used regular "bake" or "roast."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Gas v Electric OVEN (not range)

Baked a cheesecake for a party tomorrow as our gas oven's first real test, but can't evaluate the results until it's cut...dying to find out.  It did look like it baked evenly given the jiggle and even cooling evidenced by the perfect circle of falling/deflating around the edge about 1/2" from the pan...I have great hope for its being excellent.  :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best.  Oven.  EVER.  

Perfectly even baking of the cheesecake; no rotating necessary.  Baked 3 cookie sheets of molasses cookies - every pan of cookies, front and back, top, middle, bottom, yielded uniformly baked cookies all at the same time.  Again, no pan rotation (rack or front/back) necessary.  

WOW.

ETA:  From what I can tell, "today's" high end gas ovens do not suffer the drawbacks of yesteryear and paying $3,000 more for duel fuel would be essentially stupid...although, self clean would be nice...not three grand nice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I don't like to cook.  I would prefer to eat out all the time if I could afford to :)

That being said, I have had both electric and gas stoves, I do know that a baked potato taste much better when baked in a gas oven.

Any friends I've had that like to cook prefer gas. One told me, she cannot cook rice on an electric stove, it always burns.

I have an electric range/oven at present, probably 20 years old, but it has the self cleaning feature.

It's not a big deal to scrub and clean the oven yourself every month or so.

But some of us, as we get older develop arthritis of the hands and find the scrubbing difficult.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A gas range top is definitely the easist to control and, hence, is easier to use.  Things don't burn when you turn the burner down because the burner doesn't stay hot; the flame is what it is.  The pan is another story, but the heat under it changes immediately.  That's generally why people who "like to cook" prefer gas ranges.

Gas vs electric oven baking and roasting (using the actual oven) was really my concern, but since baking a cheesecake and cookies, and roasting vegetables and chicken, I've answered my own question - gas ovens (at least well designed ones) ROCK.  And, this gas oven is far superior for evenness of baking (no rotating of pans necessary) to my electric oven (gas range) I replaced. Interesting about the baked potato review...haven't tried those in it yet.

Haven't used it enough to need to clean it yet, but the instructions say to use mild cleanser, gentle soap and water, so it can't be that bad...right?  I'm hoping no scrubbing will be necessary...probably a pipe dream, but one can hope.  The Thermador book says for "tough" problems, leave a rag soaked in ammonia in the closed oven for an hour and then "wipe clean."  Hm...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Regarding ammonia and or chemical cleaners: Warning: Do not use this cleaning method with a gas oven unless the pilot lights are out and the main gas lines are shut off.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/home/c/#ixzz2cKStXyTr

I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do, but just in case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to know, thanks - I hadn't researched it yet and am hoping I avoid making any messes, lol.  I have an oven liner so here's hoping.

ETA:  all I know about it right now is what the manual says - maybe there is no pilot light...it's an electric ignition.  More to learn...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For anyone who really is passionate about cooking and considering a new stove, the Thermador is a dream come true.  Can't comment on the other brands, per se, since I obviously only bought one range, but I use the XLO feature unique to the Thermador a lot and can't imagine having a Wolf and being stuck with whatever they call "simmer."  The sealed burners and catch-all deep tray under them make cleanup so easy!  I spatter and slop stuff out of the pans all the time, and it's no problem.

And, I still adore the gas oven, too, and am extremely thankful I didn't go with a duel fuel for 2 grand more...what a waste that would have been!

The only complaint is that it is LOUD when it cycles on and off while the XLO feature is in use, and DH hates the noise.  I don't mind it, but I can see why he finds it annoying.

I post this in hopes that anyone doing a kitchen remodel who is on the fence about spending serious money on a high end stove will see this and know that if serious stovetop control and a professional BTU range is really high on your priority list it will be money well spent, and there's no compromise in quality to get an all-gas version no matter what the sales people tell you about the advantages of duel-fuel.  Thermador is definitely not "just a name."  Although, admittedly, it looks smokin' hot in the kitchen, too, if you'll pardon the pun. ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyBrook. Show RandyBrook's posts

For me electric oven is my choice it is weird that they are making a different types of oven.In Finland where i live ii am using gas spring or Kaasujousi but i don't have a gas oven i also have a conveyor roller which is really amazing stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You have a conveyer roller in a home oven?  How wide is it - how big is your kitchen?

Yes, they say electric ovens are preferable to the tune of paying thousands more for duel fuel.  However, my point is for the more frugal home chef, I cannot see any reason to avoid what I got; it is so awesome it takes my breath away every time.

Sections
Shortcuts