House Paint colors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

House Paint colors

Have you tried Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

House Paint colors

Word of advice, if yor house is build before 1977 there is a good chance its lead based paint.� Test for this before you start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritan1. Show ritan1's posts

House Paint colors

Both Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore have online software ("Colorizer"/Personal Colorview?) that lets you color in with their entire paint catalog, either an existing photo or a photo of your house that you download. I found it very helpful in picking colors. I have a shingle house and went with Benjamin Moore Tate Olive for the body color. If you have an older home, you might check out Rob Schweitzer's web site on painting historic homes. He's very good at showing how to use colors appropriate to the era of the house, as opposed to following modern color theory on an old house http://www.historichousecolors.com/.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

House Paint colors

I was a painting contractor in college and your color choice is the biggest decision I always came across. If I may be blunt, it sounds like the color you are looking for does not exist.� Simiilar to a previous post you'd have to find the color that exists and then have a paint store match it for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hadley. Show hadley's posts

House Paint colors

I am in the process of having our house exterior painted also and my painter suggested colors from�the Benjamin Moore "Historic" color collection.� There are so many choices and it helped me narrow the field.� You can easily google it to find the historic collection.Also, my local BM dealer has a service where a color consultant will assist you in making choices for free -- and that helped me.� You can buy 2 oz. samples of colors at Benjamin Moore and try them out to narrow your options.� Finally, ask around --� If you see something you like, ask for the color -- or carry a fandeck and try and match it.� Your painter might be able to help you capture the look you are seeking --Good luck!!�

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hadley. Show hadley's posts

House Paint colors

One more thing -- our local library had quite a few books on painting your exterior (i.e., color schemes) and that was a great source of info.� Don't forget to factor in the color of your roof --� Esp. if you live in a Cape where the roof is prominently featured.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from secretary. Show secretary's posts

House Paint colors

Have you tried putting mirrors on the exterior of your house?� How about mirrored panels?� Or how about just covering your house in solar panels?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritan1. Show ritan1's posts

House Paint colors

Wow! I looked at your house when I was deciding to use Rob's service! You and he did a great job with your house.

My experience with Rob was very interesting. Several years ago, I worked with him to design a color scheme for my house in Dorchester. He was incredibly helpful, especially in explaining color theory and why certain colors went certain places. And he listened - although my house is Victorian, I didn't want a Painted Lady, just an elegant and pretty house. He (politely) discarded most of the colors I'd imagined, explaining why they wouldn't work. He came up with colors I'd never thought of. He made me paint big sheets of plywood to leave out to see how they looked in my light (BTW, neighbors and passersby chimed in with their opinions). He then gave me the color map of the house - I was amazed; I never thought that house could be so lovely.

But then my co-owner filed for divorce from her husband and set in motion four years of court battles. By the end, I had bought her out, put them out, moved into their unit and rented the other unit. In the process, the color map was lost. But Rob had taught me enough that I was able to reconstruct what I wanted. It isn't the same as what he did, but it's really nice,with great details, the nicest house on the street. I have since moved and rent out that old house, but now I am ready to tackle the painting of the new (1845!) house. I learned enough from Rob, I probably won't need him - but I just might use him just for the fun of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheehansps. Show sheehansps's posts

House Paint colors

Pratt & Lambert has a great color visualizer on it's website www.prattandlambert.com

P&L also has the authentic Williamsburg Collection of historical colors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

House Paint colors

Paint color is a very personal decision and as it is costly to paint exteriors, you want to love the color choice so being selective is wise.� Take into consideration the architecture of your home, the size of the home�and the color of homes in your neighborhood.� I suggest walking around or driving around and looking at the color of homes you admire�and catch your eye based on the paint color.� If you find a few you like, take a digital picture and bring it to a paint store.� If your home is very large, olive green might be a bit too overbearing but would look nice on a Cape-style.��� When in doubt, try to narrow it down to 3 or 4 and take samples of each color. Paint a small area on a part of the house that gets sunlight.� Live with the colors for a few days or a week.� You will be painting over so should be�no problem.� Pick the brains of the staff in stores that are exclusive to paint and decorating.��I find the staff extremely knowledgeable at Waters & Brown in Salem and Beverly, MA. The� staff works with decorators and have always managed to point me in the right direction when I am looking for a color like the�inside of a peeled banana or the color of asparagus stems.� If they can work with that, they can do anything!� Good luck.��������

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiamem. Show kiamem's posts

House Paint colors

Many paint stores have designers who will give you 3 or 4 complete paint palletts, trim and everything (after coming to your home and asking what you would like). I used Babel's in Norwood and think I paid about $100. Well worth it instead of running around paying for samples and driving yourself crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from likewakingup. Show likewakingup's posts

House Paint colors

In this day and age how can one assume that the original poster is a housewife who doesn't have the financial stability or independence to pay for her own house?�Hey Methuselah:1950 called. They want their gender and economic stereotypes back.�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wumberlog. Show wumberlog's posts

House Paint colors

Man, I spent a fortune on samples before my painter suggested Texas sage by Benjamin Moore. It's a lovely soft green. I used Navaho white on the trim and cottage red on the doors. It came out great - in fact, so great that my next door neighbor copied the whole scheme! Not kosher, I don't think.