Hydrangeas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Hydrangeas

How careful do you have to be when raking around them in the spring?  Should I be pulling the leaves out from the branches by hand? Some of the branches look dead and just snap off, but some have growth on them.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Re: Hydrangeas

Hi, chazz!  I don't touch my hydrangeas until their leaves are green and I can see blossoms.  I don't rake around them or touch any dead stalks before that.  We did have one bush that was badly hit by falling snow clumps, and I did GENTLY tie up those stalks so they would straighten up instead of lying close to the ground. 

Except for the new breeds (such as Endless Summer), the new growth happens on the old stalks, so you don't want to prune them!

Just seeing the "indoor versions" at the supermarket has made me excited to see my own in the yard pretty soon.  Spring IS coming! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: Hydrangeas

In Response to Re: Hydrangeas:
    [QUOTE]Hi, chazz!  I don't touch my hydrangeas until their leaves are green and I can see blossoms.  I don't rake around them or touch any dead stalks before that.  We did have one bush that was badly hit by falling snow clumps, and I did GENTLY tie up those stalks so they would straighten up instead of lying close to the ground.  Except for the new breeds (such as Endless Summer), the new growth happens on the old stalks, so you don't want to prune them! Just seeing the "indoor versions" at the supermarket has made me excited to see my own in the yard pretty soon.  Spring IS coming! 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Thank you Cosmo!  Glad I asked.  I just started raking this weekend and may have hurt one of them (was a little rough on it getting the leaves out), but I haven't finished.  I will be more careful next weekend when I finish up! 

I can't wait either, it's been a long winter!

Thanks again.

Sections
Shortcuts