Lighting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Lighting

Just bought an older home built in 1900 that has a lot of outdated light fixtures.  We have 20 wall sconces alone that need to be replaced.  Anyone know of a good place to get cheap but decent quality light fixtures?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Lighting

Hey, Winter, I agree with some-guy on all points.  You get what you pay for with those things.

GL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Use the word inexpensive. It sounds better.
    You may also want to look at the wiring if your house is that old.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Ok, point taken.  We're looking for "inexpensive" yet decent quality fixtures.  I'd like to spend less than $50 per sconce for example since thats still $1k on sconces alone given how many we need.  We also need chandeliers, ceiling lights, fans, etc.  So basically we want a good value.  I also don't want to just buy 20 of the same fixtures since I'd like some variety room to room.

I'm not worried about the place burning down since we're actually rewiring the entire house.  The house had the old knob and tube wiring which home insurance companies won't write new policies on anymore, so the electrical is all being redone by an electrician as I'm writing this.  That's part of the reason we're looking to replace all the fixtures now since the electrician can install all the new ones for us - otherwise we'll have to do ourselves later.

So anyone know of a place to get a good deal on a ton of light fixtures that has good prices and a lot of variety?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure what they have right now for this (if anything), but Building 19 is somewhere I'd check.  They tend to have high quality previously pricey overstocks and such for cheap, ahem, inexpensive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

You can see what Grossman's Outlet (Rt 1 in Norwood) has.  Their stock is "iffy" since it is all close-outs but prices are usually 20%-35% of what you'd pay for the same level of items at HD or Lowe's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check those out. 

Also, a friend suggested this place I plan to check out soon too that seems to have a lot of selection:  http://www.lightnleisure.com/aboutus.asp

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I've been to light and leisure a few times, and find that things are pretty pricey.  It doesn't hurt to look though as they do have  a good selection.  I bought a pendant chandelier from CB2 that I love for $50.  Also overstock has some good deals, I'm going to get a vanity light there for our bathroom.   
      My friend told me about Newton Electric and they are doing their whole kitchen with lighting from there. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks ajuly.  Newton Lighting looks great.  Can't wait to go check it out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazz568. Show jazz568's posts

In Response to Lighting:
    [ Well, I don't know where to find the best light fixtures but I do have one suggestion for especially the outdoor lights - use LED instead.  You may keep some of those outdoor lights on all night.  I installed at my porch and around the outside of my house fixtures with Tuwago 3.8w candelabra LED that is equivalent to about a 25w incandescent candelabra. The light is pretty warm and mimics that of an incandescent bulb,  and uses a lot less energy than my old ones. Check out this solid product at www.tuwago.com.   Sometimes there is a promotion coupon you can use. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazz568. Show jazz568's posts

Hi, Here is the LED candelabra light I was talking about .... 

Sections
Shortcuts