Plant ideas for shady front yard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenv1230. Show jenv1230's posts

Plant ideas for shady front yard

The left half of my front yard does not get any sun during the day. Everything that I planted last year did not make it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should try planting this year? I would love something low maintenance. The area is about 5 feet log and about 2 feet wide.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Re: Plant ideas for shady front yard

Hi Jen
    I've always had a lot of luck with hostas. They are very hardy, low maintenance and come in a variety of leaf patterns.
    Here's an example of what they can look like (and you can find them at any local nursery or even Lowes or Home Depot):
    http://springhillnursery.com/hosta-ground-cover-bargain-bag/p/75217/

If you want something closer to the ground, you could try pachysandra. It's pretty hardy too and grows fast. You can find this very readily as well.
    Here's what it looks like:
    http://www.peekskillnurseries.com/pachysandra.html

No matter what you plant, you'll want to make sure you water it well to get established.

Good luck!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Our yard is very shady as well, and we have found that bleeding hearts, hydrangeas, and rhododendrons do well.  Although the hydrangeas, and especiallly the rhododendrons do not flower as much as they would with some sun.  We do get some flowering from the hydrangeas though as they do get some sun.

Also, I agree with the above poster, hostas are great for shady areas and are very low maintenance.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Hi Jenv, we have the same problem in our backyard. Agree with the recommendations for pachysandra, hostas (they come in a million varieties!) and rhododendron as absolutely low maintenance. For the area you describe, maybe a combo of these. For groundcovers, lily of the valley & myrtle will also grow in shade (although myrtle may not flower as much). For shrubs, mountain laurel will also grow in shade. Also fern, ladies mantle, astilbe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1148155. Show user_1148155's posts

Here is a list that I have from my shady garden in the South End:

Brunnera Coral Bells “Citronelle [Heuchera x villosa]European GingerJapanese Painted Ferns Lady in RedLilly of the ValleyLiriope  

Lungwort 
     Sweet Woodruff

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1148155. Show user_1148155's posts

Brunnera, Coral Bells “Citronelle [Heuchera x villosa],European Ginger,Japanese Painted Ferns, Lady in Red,Lilly of the Valley,Liriope,  Lungwort

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenv1230. Show jenv1230's posts

Thanks Everyone! I will check out the suggestions at the nursery this weekend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pansies and impatiens do well in the shade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hs. Show hs's posts

If you want flowers, Impatiens (which are annuals) do really well in my shady garden and bloom for a long time.  You can create a nice look with different varieties of hostas (there are lots of colors and sizes!) plus Impatiens.  Also Astilbe does well too -- nice flower and leaf shape.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatesNonna. Show KatesNonna's posts

For flowers, you can also try begonias (including the beautiful tuberous begonia). Caladiums are tender bulbs that thrive in shade and come in lots of exciting colors and patterns. Coleus are another good choice. On the north side of my house, I have holly and azaleas, which thrive in shade.
    If you check out the Whitewater Farm website, they have shade garden suggestions that look great together in beds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from geolovely. Show geolovely's posts

A lot of good suggestions.  I'll add that on North side of my house in a very shady yard I have a mass of ferns that come up early every year, get 2-3 feet tall, do great all summer long, and last until the first frost, with zero effort.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TessasDream. Show TessasDream's posts

Besides the shrub types that have already been mentioned, Pieris and Yew will also do fine in shade.  For plants, I have Solomon's Seal and ferns in addition to many of the ones mentioned.  They are not as showy as some of the other plant choices, but I have grown to love them.

The Natural Shade Garden by Ken Druse has some gorgeous pictures to give you ideas.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klonget. Show Klonget's posts

Most of the plants already mentioned are not native to the Americas, and do nothing for the environment.  Why don't you try to enhance the food supply for native birds, insects, and butterflies by planting native plants?  You can go to Garden in the Woods in Framingham and see their mostly shade plants, and buy them there too. 
         A quick list of small native perennials for a small plot for shade would include Foamflower (Tiarella -- semi-evergreen and lasts much longer than hosta); Coral Bells (Heuchera -- like the Foamflower) and has many different colors of leaves; Solomon's Seal, Dwarf Solomon's Seal, Black Cohosh, any of the Ferns, Canadian Ginger, Appalachian Pachysandra, etc. etc. 
         Beware of japanese pachysandra and myrtle as they are madly invasive and will spread everywhere. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Holly-P. Show Holly-P's posts

Hostas and daylilies are great, and there are a huge variety.  There is a nursery in Carlisle that sells nothing but these two plants, in a nearly endless variety.

Solomon's Seal is a stately and shade-loving plant with beautiful, creamy white flowers in late spring.

Vinca (also known as myrtle) is a groundcover which thrives in shade.  It has plain green leaves and grows blue flowers in spring.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/house/articles/2009/06/11/plants_that_shine_in_the_shade/