Replacement windows

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: Replacement windows

You only had the Anderson guy come out?  I am also looking to have a few estimates and quotes and was wondering who to call.  I have some Anderson crank out windows that are mid 80s vintage and some non name brand same style.  I am considering looking into Pella windows.

I did have an experince with NewPro windows before and their sales pitch was so heavy handed and the windows were very very pricey so I don't want to call them.

I am on the NH border and wondering if anyone had any one that they would recommend. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

So far I've only had the Anderson guy here. Heavy sales pitch, but I do believe that the windows would be very good and durable. But also very, very pricey. 12 double-hung windows with a 9 over 9 grid came out to 17K. With incentives and discounts (including a discount to buy that day) it would come down to 14K, before the Federal $1500 rebate. We are having Bruin come out tomorrow - they were recommended by a neighbor.  And we are having a local contractor that we have had a very good relationship with in the past, come out next week. He has a window replacement division, with far more options than the Renewal by Anderson (one style only). My biggest concern is looking just at price - I don't mind paying more IF I don't have any worries afterwards. I don't want to have to deal with a company that won't stand behind it's products, or deal with a sloppy installation team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

The most important thing is installation. It doesn't matter how good the window is if they do not install and insulate them properly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Try Harvey windows.  They are top of the line.  They have a showroom in Waltham.  Every bit as good as Anderson. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Rodman - we actually had Bruin come out yesterday and they quoted Harvey. We were very impressed, both with the quality of the window, and with the price. They were literally 1/3 the price of Anderson, with a better warranty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

We had Harvey replacement windows installed in our old house and our current house. We replaced 30+ yr old windows both times. We chose the Majestic model - double hung window with wood on inside and vinyl on outside. We were happy both times. There was a Harvey window showroom in Woburn, off Commerce Way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Thanks Celia! At this point, I think we're definitely going for Harvey. Just waiting for a formal quote from the local contractor for windows, installation, and cladding the sill & frame. Have one quote in hand that was very reasonable, if they can come close then we're ready to get going.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We own a glazing company. (Only do commercial curtain wall windows, sorry!) I am with the posters that say, that the installation is a lot more important that the window itself. You can buy the very best top of the line window, but if it is not installed correctly - you will have problems forever, while a less expensive window installed properly can last you for years.
    Also, have you ever thought of just getting your old windows re-caulked? After a number of years, the caulking disintegrates and you will have leaking windows (water and air both). A good caulking-gun will do wonders. It is actually a good idea to have your windows re-caulked every so often, before they start to leak.
    After your new windows are installed, do a hose-test before you pay the installer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Pingo - thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, the seals in just about every existing window in our house are broken, so we have several windows with condensation between the panes, completely blocking out the light. THe rest of the windows don't have condensation, but have had it in the past, so they are now just completely filthy between the panes, and no amount of cleaning on the exterior is ever going to make them look clean. 

I do have references from the window companies we spoke with, so I will be following up to make sure they were happy with the installation. I personally know some of their previous clients and they came recommended to me, so I do trust my friends to give an honest opinion.

Sections
Shortcuts