Steam Mop!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Does anyone own a Steam Mop?
    My husband saw one on TV - and now suggest we should get one for our tile floors, so I don't have to mop them.
    Are they any good, or will it just be another nuisance piece ofequipment stored in a corner? I am trying to "downsize"- and have givenaway or discarded several of the "must have" gadgets, I have not usedin years. Don't want to add another one.
    How do they work? I understand, that they spew out steam, which I thinkis great - but are there some kind of suction, that suck up the waterthe steam creates, or does one have to go over the floor and wipe upthe water? I don't want to add to my work.
    Finally, I was kind of surprised to learn, how many of them are on themarket. If you have one, which one do you have? And please, I like tohear� pros and cons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Thanks Leas for your post. The one you used was that one an upright one- or did you have to get down on your knees? The one you describesounds like a hand held one. And where the the water, the steam createdgo? Was there puddles on the floor and did you have to mop them upafterwards?
    Going to e-mail you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Steam Mop!

I adore my Vapor Storm VS-200 steam cleaner.� It's got a lot of attachments so you can clean the floor without bending over (I have linoleum right now in the kitchen), and you can easily clean the sink or whatever with other attachments.� I've got a small apartment with very little storage, and the cubic inches this takes up is well worth the volume loss.� I do use Scrubbing Bubbles on the tub along with the steamer, but otherwise, I just use the steam and fresh thin towels (I get the 100 cnt packs of blue & white ones from BJs).� The latest mess it eliminated was a HUGE balsamic vinegrette spill all over my kitchen floor.� No oily residue whatsoever.

Get it!� http://www.steamcleanersplus.com/Testimonials.htm

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Good morning kargiver, thanks you so much for your testimonial!� You BDC girls are athe best.
    If I understand it correctly, yours is a canister kind with lots ofattachments. The ones we have seen on TV and other places are the stickones. Even though you use the steam to loosen the dirt, you still haveto wipe it up. Is that correct? You said you bought cheap towels forit. I have loads of old towels plus my microfiber cloth ones, which Iswear by and use for everything.
    I do understand that the steam cleans a heck of a lot better, than Ican do with the bucket and a mop, but it sounds to me, like it is twicethe work. Just curious how you feel about that? I am anxious to try it,since I do like a perfectly clean home.
    After 40 years of marriage we have collected quite a lot of useless anunneeded apliances / equipment / gadgets - and I just don't want to addto it.
    Thank you so much for your help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Steam Mop!

Hey, pingo,

You're welcome. :)�

Yes, it's a canister (rolls on the floor, not hand-held) with hosed attachments.

Regarding "loosening and wiping" there are actually two ways to use the machine.� Yes, one way is with the wand in one hand shooting steam and a towel in the other (be careful not to get the towel hand in front of the steam!).� The surface (sink, counter, whatever) ends up wet and dirty, and you just wipe it up after you steam it.� I go over surfaces twice using that method to get everything sanitized.� The other way is to use a towel-clad attachment; this is what you would use on the floor, for instance.� In this case, no, you do not have to wipe up water and dirt because both get trapped in the towel as you work.� And, when you are done it's mostly dry and totally clean.� The secret to that method is to move slowly enough for the steam to do its thing.�

No, it's not nearly twice the work; it takes about the same time and effort as mopping or cleaning with traditional mops and chemicals (unlike what they claim on TV).� Actually, I find it more convenient than traditional mopping 'cause there's no heavy, sloppy, bucket of brown water to mess with afterwards, just a couple of towels to wash.� I never felt the floor was all that clean the "old" way, either.� I'd eat a meal off it the way it comes out with this.� :)

Real tough scum, like ring around tub, needs to be cleaned first with a sponge and Scrubbing Bubbles.� The steam jet just doesn't cut it, and the curves of the tub prevent the smaller towel-clad attachment from making good enough contact to work well.

Overall, I couldn't recommend it more highly.� I'm anti-clutter, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Kargiver -- thanks - I am sold.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Steam Mop!

Fabulous!

By the way, I should also add another tidbit before you buy.� You'll notice that the model I recommended is quite a bit more expensive than others.� I owned another one (a Shark), and I actually burned the motor out ("What's that smell???").� Also, even before the motor burned out I thought I loved that one until I got its replacement.� As with everything else, you do get what you pay for.�

Enjoy!!!!� And, please follow up with me, will you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Steam Mop!

Hey, pingo, what do you think? I'm dying to know...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Kargiver, I am still in the "research" stage. So, we haven't bought oneyet. But 99% I will go with your Storm Vapor. I am just looking aroundhoping to find a sale somewhere. (Like my son found my Roomba foralmost half price at Woots.com).Will definitely keep you posted. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Steam Mop!

LOL, we are so much alike!� I research everything 'til the cows come home.� It pays off, too, I'm almost always thrilled with my purchases, and I have a whole heard of cows.� ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Steam Mop!

Lisa, I know exactly the infomercial you mean, I watch it all the time too and wonder how I have ever lived without that product! I am nervous about this floor steamer because it says its ok on sealed hardwood but is it really? Once water gets in the grooves that's it, the wood rots and you're looking at expensive refinishing.� Some big malls have demos of those TV things, I'd like to find one to get a better idea of how wet the floor actually gets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Steam Mop!

Hey Pingo...can you ask your son�a few questions for me about the Roomba? I also research things before�I buy�and a testimonial�I know to be�from a real person is not to be passed up!Can it be used on hardwood or just rugs? If yes, will it go from the floor to an area rug without getting stuck? I probably will not get a rug with tassles, just a regular border, but not sure. Does it damage furniture if it bumps into it? If it does get stuck, or if something gets stuck in it, does it have a shut off mechanism or does it just churn all day? I'd probably turn it on before going to work�in the hopes of coming home to a nice clean floor. Does it get hot? I have an extreme fear of overheated small appliances, even battery operated or rechargable ones. It's not worth it to me if I feel like I have to follow it around with a fire extinguisher.��Is there a maximim amount of square feet it can clean before needing to be emptied? I know it also depends on the amount of dirt it picks up, but is there a recommendation? �Sorry to put your son to work, but I have been curious about these for so long and I don't know anyone who has one. ��Tell him Sandybaby is extremely grateful!! thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Hi sandybaby,
    I don't need to ask my son, since I am the one who uses my Roomba - and I am happy to answer your questions.
    I hesitated to get one myself. But my son bought me one, and now I justLOVE it. In fact I love it so much, that I got a second one for mydownstairs, so I don't have to carry it up and down.

- It can be used on any floor. Carpets, rugs, hardwood, tiles.

- No problem changing over from hard wood to rugs. Tassles can be a bitof a problem, but I found a solution to that. I have several Orientalsand all I do, ist placing the virtual walls such a way, that Roombawill not get to the tassles.

- No damage to furniture. It is light and very gentle. If it meets some obstruction, it just turn around and go somewhere else.

- If it gets stuck, it will make itself free - 90% of the time. It'scharge last for about two hours and then it will go� back to it'sdock on it's own. It is does get stuck, it will just turn itself off,when there is no more charge.

- I have never felt it getting hot, but I have actually never thoughtabout that. The next time I run it, I will find out for you and let youknow.

- Since it runs as long as it has charge, it is not a matter of squarefeet. The instruction says to empty it every 3 times or so, but I emptymine every time I run it. I find that easier, than to remember how manytimes I have used it.

My notes:
    I have run it while not at home with out a problem. But I like to keepan eye on it - since it once set off my alarm system (I was at home,fortunately). Also, I make sure there is no obstructions - likeelectric cords for example. I just lift them up. Small furniture - likefoot stools- I will place in the chair. It is not necessary, but whywaste the charge on cleaning around the same spot instead of movingalong. (But this you need to do anyways, if you vacuum yourself).
    After you have used it a couple of times and watched it, you will know,where it has difficulties, and you can remedy it for the next time. Ittook me 2 - 3 times before I really liked it. At first I thought it wasa nuisance - but as I learned to live with it� - no problems.
    I have a large open home, and I did find it does a better job doing sections, instead of let it run loose all over the house.
    The best part is, that I do not have to drag that heavy central vachose, that it cleans perfectly under beds and other low furniture andthat I can do something else, while it is working. Right now, as I amwriting to you, I am getting my family room vacuumed. Yeah!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Hi Jenny - I copied kargiver's post for you. I have done a lot of research and decided, that this is the one I am sold on. I just haven't gotten around to actually buy it - so I cannot give you my opinion on it.
    Think twice about wasting your money on the $99 thingies - the ones that is advertised on TV. According to two users I know who have them, they do not work that well.
    I believe the one kargiver is mentioning in about $200.

kargiver 461846
    Comments: 1537
    5/8/2008 3:13:46 AM
    I adore my Vapor Storm VS-200 steam cleaner.� It's got a lot of
    attachments so you can clean the floor without bending over (I have
    linoleum right now in the kitchen), and you can easily clean the sink
    or whatever with other attachments.� I've got a small apartment with
    very little storage, and the cubic inches this takes up is well worth
    the volume loss.� I do use Scrubbing Bubbles on the tub along with the
    steamer, but otherwise, I just use the steam and fresh thin towels (I
    get the 100 cnt packs of blue & white ones from BJs).� The latest
    mess it eliminated was a HUGE balsamic vinegrette spill all over my
    kitchen floor.� No oily residue whatsoever.

Get it!� http://www.steamcleanersplus.com/Testimonials.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

Hi jenny,
    It is on my Christmas wish list! But if you read through all the posts, you will find that kargiver is giving a pretty good review on this particular steam mop. She also had a Shark, and the motor burned. Good luck! - Pingo
    PS. If you do buy this one, please let us know, how you like it.

[Quote]I was hoping you had already gotten yours and could give me a personal testimonial. I was desparate and I went out and bought a shark mop at target (which is a local store since I live in MN) and it is okay but I still want something to do my bathrooms etc more thoroughly. Let me know when you get yours and how it works.[/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Steam Mop!

One more thing jenny, you can Google it and order it on the internet. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts