Trees - How Close is Too Close?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Wonderting if someone could help me out with some advice?

I have a huge pine tree about 8 feet from my house. The tree is also taller than my house, and I am wondering if there are guidelines as to how close the tree can be -- I am concerned that the roots will mess up the foundation, not to mention the pine pitch that falls on my car, or worse, if we have a big storm, having the tree fall on my or my neighbour's home. Do I call an arborist? an insurance agent? the town?a nursery guy/gal? I;m not sure where to start, I'd love to have a tree on the property, but I just think this one may be too big and too close to be safe.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Call a certified arborist to tell you whether the tree is healthy, planted correctly or needs trimming. The arborist can also cut the tree down safely if that is your choice.

A national company I know is Save-a-Tree.

Our town has a rule that prohibits homeowners from cutting down their own tree if it 'shades' town land. You might need to check the rules before you cut. Your insurance agent can tell you if your homeowners' policy covers the potential damage to either your home or your neighbor's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Leas,
    I know of your predicament. We had 3 beautiful, tall pine trees on our previous property. And one day w/o warning one of them just toppled over. Fortunately it was at the end of our drive way, and no harm was done. Apparently it was sick and all crumbled up inside. One could never tell from the outside. Fortunately the other two were healthy and are still standing there 25 years later.
    I think I would take AB's advice and call an arborist to check out your tree. If it is healthy, it will stay there for many years to come. No need to worry. The money you will spent is worth your piece of mind. I believe he/she will be able to give you the advice you need. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Thanks Pingo & AB --- I will checkwith an arborist --- I'd really like to replace it with something smaller and more attractive. something whose roots wont grow all over the place -- but in any case, I will check.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Leasyll -

I have a huge pine that stands next to my house. My tree is so tall that I now have red tailed hawks nesting near the top. It is at least eighty feet high. Others here have suggested you consult an arborist, and I agree. I have the tree trimmed every few years, mostly because it hangs over my neighbor's fence and she pesters me to death about it. This year I had to have several branches cut that were growing into the side of my house. The arborist tells me that the tree is healthy. I consulted my insurance company several years ago about damage if it topples and I was told I am covered under my homeowners policy if the tree falls into my house or into the yard behind me. So far, I have no damage from roots. My attachment to the tree is sentimental. I have lived in my house many years. My kids played in the tree. There is still a tree house up there, and now it shades my deck. No way am I cutting it down! As long as the arborist tells me it's healthy, I will keep it.

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Yeah, much as I like trees and greenery, I'd like to have a smaller one, just because I don't want the damn thing falling on the house, dropping sap, and blocking light.... I'd love a pretty little dwarf tree instead of that scraggly pine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Your biggest worry should not be about above ground.Rather you should worry about electrical and sewage problems below ground.Take from one who has had trees,the roots can do far more damage and become very costly without warning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoFreaknSpin. Show NoFreaknSpin's posts

Take the freak'n tree down.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Tarheel & Spin -- I agree with you both. My concern too is the belowground Biz, and Spin, I am getting the tree taken down. I was told that Pines have smaller root systems, (compared to say, and oak or elm, which is why you sometimes see pines uprooted completely, not sure how accurate it is, the person who told me that is an IT guy, not a tree guy!!! hahaha!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi disco, sorry about your experience with this Ins. Co. I don't know them, so I cannot comment on them. But not all Ins. Co. are like them.
    Like above mentioned, we had 3 huge pine trees on our property for years and years - and our Ins. Co. never said anything about them and happily renewed our policy year after year.
    I am glad you got the state involved. Stopping their calls show how wrong they were. Maybe you should look for a different ins. carrier. What may they come up with next? A good Ins. Co. will come to your property, look it over and take notes, before they insure you. Not 5 months after the fact. Run away from them - fast!