Tub Reglazing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VanHassle. Show VanHassle's posts

Tub Reglazing

Does anyone have any experience tub reglazing.  We just purchased a home, and the tub is blue.  We don't want to replace the whole tub.  We're thinking about reglazing but I don't know anyone who has done it. Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Tub Reglazing

VanHassle,
    I never had a tub reglazed, so I cannot give you any contractor's name and advice in that regard. But I did have my 2 year old refrigerator reglazed to match the color of the other appliances in my new home. Didn't last very long before it started to chip and peel.
    I have moved into homes with truly ugly color bath tubs (and sinks and toilets). We simply replaced them with modern fixtures in the color of our choice. Are you handy? Or do you know someone, who is? We did everything ourselves; it is not that difficult a job. Time consuming and some strong shoulders? Yes - but not something one cannot do (with a bit of help from friends).
    Reglazing is expensive and there is a lot of scams out there. Unless it is an antic tub, you want to preserve, I would advice you to just change it.
    Hope you hear from someone (and not a reglazing contractor), who had a good experience - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tanner007. Show Tanner007's posts

I had the tub in my apartment reglazed when I first moved in, and had the landlord pay for it ($400) since it appeared the tub had previously been glazed and was peeling everywhere. After a little over a year, the new reglazing seems to have held up fairly well. However, I did get a spot of hair dye on the tub, and nothing, not even clorox, would get it out.  So, I found the reglazing tends to absorb stains, unlike new tub materials. Additionally, you could see some drips from where the reglazing was laid on too thickly if you looked closely. Asides from this, the tub looked a million times better then before, but I am not sure how long this look would really hold up. You would probably be better off replacing the tub and spending a little extra money! 

Also, note that my tub was originally white, and reglazed in white. Prices/results might differ if you are trying to cover up a darker color. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

Hi! Your post jumped out at me. I had two tubs reglazed in two different homes and each time they came out wonderfully - like a brand new tub. Both times I used Porcelain Patch in Watertown (617-924-9100) and the men were very efficient, neat, and I can't recommend them highly enough. I recall it being around $350-$400.

Just beware - you must be gentle with your reglazed tub. A few unfortunate incidents of shaving cream cans falling down from the shower caddy left hairline fractures in the new surface which I'm sure spidered over time and had I not moved, may have required reglazing again. Be careful and use a non-abrasive bleach cleaner and you'll be very happy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

$400 for reglazing? I wouldn't hesitate to replace the tub. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joddiemoore. Show joddiemoore's posts

To be honest i never yet done it nor experience but i am also looking for some information about it.Cause in my place in Finland i am planning to have an bathroom renovation or Kylpyhuoneremontti and i case that i will encounter it i have some idea.

Sections
Shortcuts