Weed killer/spray

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Weed killer/spray

Does it work?  Any brands you recommend?

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Weed killer/spray

We've used round-up.  It works in that it kills the weeds, but for some reason I was assuming that would be the end of it and they don't disappear (I was hoping for a "Poof!!" kind of thing!).  They turn brown within 24 hours, and then you have to go around and pull them all up.  The longer you wait, the easier it is to pull them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Poppy,
    We use "Round Up" too. It works well, but you have to be very careful to spray just the weeds. It will kill anything close by. And like Kar already mentioned, the weeds will die, but you have to pull them up.
    Another weed killer we have been using with great success, where we want to save our plants - like our veggie garden - is Preen. It is a combination of fertilizer and weed killer. It is crystals you sprinkle about. It kills the germinating seeds, but not already growing plants. So if you want to plant seeds, do not use it. But it works great around already established plants.
    Happy gardening - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, ladies.  Do you know if it's toxic to animals?  Also, do the weeds EVER grow back (and you have to re-spray), or is that it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know what the manufacturer says about pets, but we put Gracie in her crate when we use it so she doesn't walk on it right away.  Those particular weeds don't grow back; the roots are damaged/dead.  But other weeds will replace them soon.  Weeds are excellent at propogation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Justinboot. Show Justinboot's posts

Justin boots and music

Look closely and you’ll find your favorite celebrities in Justin Boots. George Strait, Tracy Byrd and Terri Clark take the stage in their favorite style, while Nolan Ryan and Randy White wear Justin Boots off the field.

These days some of the brightest stars on the country music scene can be seen in Justin Boots-Terri Clark, Tracy Byrd, and George Strait to name just a few. Justin Boots have long been affiliated with music and the Western lifestyle. Terri Clark–Born in Quebec, Canada, but with strong roots from her childhood home of Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada writing and singing country music just comes naturally for Terri Clark.

A multi-talented musician, Terri not only sings, she also plays the guitar, drums, piano, and cowbell. She is known for high-energy performances and songs from the heart, which have earned her gold and platinum albums. Terri says that her new album “Fearless” has led her full circle – and helped her grow as a musician. An evolution in her career, “Fearless” has helped Terri realize “what she wants to be when she grows up.”

Favorite Justin Boots: Style #L8933 – Black Full Quill Ostrich Western—Tracy Byrd–His recognizable rich baritone and hit singles like “Holdin’ Heaven” and “The Keeper of the Stars” have sold more than five million albums over the course of his career. A native Texan, Tracy Byrd enjoys giving back to the community that gave so much to him. The annual Tracy Byrd Homecoming Weekend has raised over $350,000 for his hometown of Beaumont, Texas since 1994. An avid interest in the outdoors led to Tracy’s role as a spokesperson for the TNN Outdoors Program and the release of a charity album called the “Wonders of Wildlife” to help protect various native animals and their natural habitats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seekonket. Show seekonket's posts

Round-up is a broad spectrum herbicide that will kill grass and a large number of weeds.  It also biodegrades rapidly in a few weeks.  Hasn't worked well for me on poison ivy, however.

Brush B Gon by Ortho has not only killed poison ivy for me, the areas that I've sprayed are free of poison ivy the following year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairnsquare. Show fairnsquare's posts

Round-up will kill weeds, AND almost all vegetation it is sprayed on. The trick is to spray it on ONLY the weeds, but not on your tomatoe plants :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuzzy. Show nuzzy's posts

I'd be interested in finding something that kills milk weeds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harrier1. Show harrier1's posts

Why is anyone allowed to use products like these anymore? They are very
    bad for the environment, including small animals.

Just spray the weeks with vinegar; maybe not quite as effective, but
    absolutely non-toxic.....

bruce.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fierte. Show Fierte's posts

I use a dark tarp with a rock in each corner for large areas. The sun heats up the soil and kills everything under it. I leave it for a week or two depending on weather, sun light and when my spouse complains about the tarp.

For areas around other plants and small areas I pull them up. The effectiveness of this method is directly related to my effort and works pretty much on everything.

For poison ivy vine I spray saltwater on the leaves.

For my lawn I never mow the lawn less than 3", mow with a mulching mower and only on my lawn (to prevent cross contamination) and never water more than once a week. The good grass gets long roots and competes better with weeds. It took 3 years to get pretty good results. I hand weed the lawn now about 15 minutes a week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cadejo. Show cadejo's posts

The best killer for weeds is your teapot. Pour hot water on a weed and it will die and won't pollute the environment. Any toxic substance like Roundup will eventually end up in your body or someone else's. 

Vinegar also works on weeds, but you have to use stronger vinegar than you get in the grocery store.

The best way is to pull out weeds by hand with a weeding tool. It's good to get your hands dirty and mess with the soil.

I have also learned that being a gardener is 20% growing and 80% weeding. Accept that and you'll be happy! 

GO ORGANIC!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

All of the "homemade" weed killers - interesting!  I'm pregnant, so I was not going to spray the weed killer myself, instead was going to make my husband do it.  But I think I'll try the home remedies first and see how effective they are.  Being pregnant and having such hot, humid weather, combined with having a husband NOT interested in gardening in the least, has made it very difficult to stay on top of the weed issue this year.  I've spent hours pulling them up and pay for it the day after.

Thanks!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Poppy,
    I am a green gardener. I pull the weeds as well. Being pregnant it may not be such a great idea for you - especially in this hot and humid summer. I do my weed pulling after a great rain storm of after having watered well. Makes it easier.
    Some of the home made weed killer (vinegar, boiling water, saltwater etc) works some of the time, but definitely not all the time. I use those before anything else, but there are just times, when you have to get out the chemicals. Unfortunately! Somehow the weeds grow a lot faster, than your plants.
    My husband is not a gardener, so I have to manage by myself. I have had great luck with Preen. It s a fertilizer plus it will kill germinating seeds. I sprinkle it early  Spring. Lot less weeds to pull, but they will always be there. - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My husband uses a tool to weed the garden just like this, but you need to use it in soil; it doesn't work on the driveway or patio.

Double edge weeder/hoe

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That brought lots of memories. My father used one of those. But you still have to rake up the weeds after using it. Besides it drops seeds off for the next generation.
    Another good weed preventer is to spread layers of newspapers then add bark mulch on the top. When I had a smaller yard, this worked very well.
    But birds and the wind drop off seeds constantly. Something you cannot stop. If you need a garden w/o weeds, it is a lot of work. Be prepared for it.
    Even though I don't like to use them, I do not feel using chemical in moderation will have  such a devastating effect on our environment.
    The no-sayers probably only have a 25 foot square garden out front with ornamental roses. I could easily take care of that one. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, he gets the weeds before they go to seed for just that reason.  And, he doesn't bother raking them up because they are seed free; they just turn into mulch.

It's taken YEARS for him to have an essentially weed free garden.  Like you say, lots of arduous effort and patience required.

We are environmentally conscious and still use some nasty chemicals when nothing else is going to do the trick...sparingly, of course.

Sections
Shortcuts