Best way to save money on a wedding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

elope....

Have an off season wedding....
    Have it on a Friday or Sunday
    Cut your guest list....

Have chicken instead of beef or combo plates....

Make your own invites

Do simple centerpieces instead of fancy one.... flowers are surprisingly expensive

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giordana. Show Giordana's posts

Don't serve alcohol.  Serve beer and wine only.

Have a cake-and-punch reception.

Have a small, decorative cake for show, but serve a big sheet cake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Well elopement is the obvious answer.
    We did the following:
    Got married on a Friday night.
    No separate reception card in the invitations - it said "Reception immediately following at XYZ Hotel" on the bottom.
    No pew decorations, aisle runner, or programs at the church.
    No extra musicians - just the organist.
    Since our wedding was a Friday night and there was another on Saturday afternoon the church lady got me in touch with the other bride and we used the same altar flowers - splitting the cost.
    No bridesmaids (fewer gifts, fewer people at the rehearsal dinner, fewer bouquets etc.).
    No favors, used the hotel linens, no chair covers, simple centerpieces.
    No videographer.
    No limo - use your own cars.
    No meal choice (although the hotel had a veggie option available).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakehousegirl. Show Lakehousegirl's posts

No bridal party, just MOH and BM

Did all correspondence/programs/menus, etc ourselves

Did flower arrangements for ceremony ourselves

Bought alchohol ourselves, instead of going through caterer

No transportation, drove ourselves

Did not buy anything through online bridal shops, researched internet to find lowest prices on EVERYTHING

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from frezz11884. Show frezz11884's posts

Research is the answer to this question. It will save you time money and a whole lot of frustration in the long run!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The best ways to save money on weddings used to be to do many searches on the BDC weddings boards. However, since the change to bhe boards in May, search DOES NOT WORK.  Also, many of the other changes promised to the BDC users after that change, which would have made these baords much more useful and convenient for people to use NEVER materialized.  Was BDC Dottie fired or is she just on an extended coffee break?  She no longer bothers to respond to the many many posts on the wedding boards and other boards asking for changes and for updates on when features that were promised were going to be implemented.  Bring back the Prospero hosted boards and let all brides to be resume searching and saving via these boards. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KANN29. Show KANN29's posts

Have a small(er) wedding party.  I wish someone had told me this before I asked all my BM's.  The cost of gifts, flowers, rehearsal dinner and transportation really adds up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Research online, let your fingers do the walking for you. Also don't feel you have to be restricted to "wedding sites" or "wedding stores".    And to make your wedding perfect make it about you and your FI do cave to the wedding industry pressure that says you "have to have" something.

Stationary

- We printed our own invites -include reception info on the main invite no extra card. 
    - We printed our own place cards - card stock from Staples
    - We printed our own programs - card stock from Staples and plain white paper

Event
    - Our concession to no limo and we feel was a good one was a town car to me to the church and then DH and I to the reception.  No other car or limo and a town car is much cheaper than a limo.
    - We held it in April "the off season"
    - We didn't do extra desserts we used our cake as dessert
    - We didn't buy/use toasting glasses or a guest book, and used the card holder the venue had.
    - I made our unity candle

Gifts
    TJMaxx was fabulous for gifts for our readers
    Amazon.com for the groomsmen
    For my ladies a wrap from Target on clearance, I made jewelry and a tote bag, because they were all complaining they needed new ones.  I took the hint.
    Favors I bought in bulk online (but if my budget needed it I would have tossed these to save money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from foolforfood. Show foolforfood's posts

1. find a venue that allows you to supply your own liquor
    2. get family and friends to pitch in - everyone has a talent or two.
    3. get dress at Filene's Running of the Brides
    4. cocktail reception vs. sitdown dinner
    5. properly invest your wedding budget during the planning stage (something as simple as the ING orange account will do)
    6. prioritize neccesities vs. wants.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

Don't budge on your budget!  Determine how much you want to spend on each vendor and stick with it.

Try to negotiate with your vendors, if you can.  If you are having a wedding on a Fri night or off season, some vendors will give you a break or discount.  One of my vendors gave us a discount because our venue was near them and didn't have to travel very far.  We also were able to bring down our minium with our venue as we booked 3 sections of the ballroom instead of all 4 sections.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I had a wedding for 60 people for $3500. Open bar, food, relatively normal.

Didn't pay a photographer - had friends take pictures.
    Open bar was beer and wine only.
    Didn't have a band or DJ - speakers and an iPod, baby.
    Skipped invites. Just called people.
    Dress off JCrew.
    JP, no church.
    Just a MoH and a Best Man.
    MIL did our flowers and the cake.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Do as much as possible yourselves/with the help of friends and family.

We bought our flowers direct from a grower and MIL and some aunts made bouquets; we used family members cars and family friends to be drivers; had one invite, with ceremony and reception details on it and a map printed on the back; favors doubled as place names on the tables; for each table we bought three nice tea light candle holders at Ikea, and that was our table decorations; had Nanna make the most fantastically yummy cake; used the linens, glassware etc from the reception venue (I didn't even know that you were supposed to have "toasting glasses".... doesn't the champagne taste the same regardless of the flute?); made an i-tunes play list and played it off a laptop (had some cds of the same music for back up) and made a cousin responsible for hitting play; didn't bother with ridiculousness such as chair covers; found a dress I loved at a designer and then got it made for a 1/4 of the price elsewhere...

Above all, always remembered that it was just one day and it was the vows and marriage that were most important.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Oh, and forgot to add - designed & printed all invites/stationary ourselves with the help of Staples.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donna828. Show donna828's posts

Think about a restaurant as a reception venue. The rental cost for mine is a whopping $300. Hors d'oeuvres instead of a sit-down... consumption bar instead of pre-paying per head... invites from Target and printed at a local shop... small wedding party... we're keeping everything within walking distance so no transportation costs.

A lot of people have said to not skimp on a photographer... nothing wrong with giving a young one a chance, but look at their portfolio first. I can't imagine you'd regret not having filet mignon, but you'd almost certainly regret not having a photo of your first kiss or something like that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal. Show mezzogal's posts

I have to disagree with the article's suggestion to have a cash bar and have guests pay for their own drinks. Guests at a wedding are just that: guests. You wouldn't invite people over for dinner at your home and then ask them to fork over money for their beers, and fundamentally, a wedding is no different (albeit on a larger scale). There are lots of alternatives to having a full bar, some of which are listed on this message board. The bottom line is, no matter how limited your budget may be, pay for ALL of your guests' food and drink. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but anything less is in poor taste.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donna828. Show donna828's posts

I agree, Mezzogal... a cash bar is in very poor taste, particularly considering how much guests are already spending on travel, hotels, gifts, etc. to be there for your day. I would rather go to a dry wedding that have to go to an ATM before the reception.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No one has yet mentioned my favorite - have a morning wedding and a lovely brunch. Even with an open bar, you can serve a wonderful meal and entertain your guests for a reasonable price. If it ends at 3:00 pm, there's still time for your not-so-close guests to do something else that day, and the after parties can end at a reasonable hour.

And, children can come to the reception if you wish, without staying up too late and getting bratty. Or, if you don't want them there, it's easier for people to find childcare for the day time....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]No one has yet mentioned my favorite - have a morning wedding and a lovely brunch. Even with an open bar, you can serve a wonderful meal and entertain your guests for a reasonable price. If it ends at 3:00 pm, there's still time for your not-so-close guests to do something else that day, and the after parties can end at a reasonable hour.

And, children can come to the reception if you wish, without staying up too late and getting bratty. Or, if you don't want them there, it's easier for people to find childcare for the day time....
    [/Quote]

We did something similar. We had a noon wedding mass, and a reception that started at 1.30. We had a full meal and open bar and it did not cost a king's ransom. It was a big hit, esp w/ kids [about 15% of our guest list was under 12] and elderly relatives, who could still drive themselves to and from the reception [it was May and still light out when they left at 6.30]. Another bonus was that my DH and I were not exhausted when the wedding was over. I'm a huge fan of day weddings; not such a big fan of evening weddings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]No one has yet mentioned my favorite - have a morning wedding and a lovely brunch. Even with an open bar, you can serve a wonderful meal and entertain your guests for a reasonable price. If it ends at 3:00 pm, there's still time for your not-so-close guests to do something else that day, and the after parties can end at a reasonable hour.

[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Don't buy wedding magazines, and treat anything "Martha Stewart" as though you could catch the plague from just reading it.

Realize that advertiser driven sites like the knot say "must have, must do" to a lot of totally unnecessary and often undesireable stuff.

Realize while the industry says anything more or bigger is better - like huge showers, RD dinners half the size of the wedding - these same ideas may destroy all of the intimacy of your wedding events. More bling, less in touch with close friends and family. Often, smaller is better.

Limiting huge invite lists and must haves will also save - but do it for it's own sake, a nicer wedding.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopy. Show lopy's posts

Elope! We did and have never regretted it. We had family and a few close friends there. We bought flowers at a local market, and my dress off the rack. Total budget under $500 (including a celebratory dinner).

One friend of mine had a day of "fun" activities planned the day before the wedding for friends and relatives involved in the wedding--getting flowers at a market and putting together the bouquets, center pieces, and other decorations, etc. She provided lunch to everyone, we all had a blast, it was a wonderful chance for friends from different parts of her life and her family to get to know each other, and I'm sure it was much cheaper than paying a florist.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soundofthesun. Show soundofthesun's posts

my fiancee and i are doing a backyard wedding---in someone else's backyard. we rented a very large vacation home (it sleeps 20) on cape cod. although the rental cost was expensive, we have a wedding venue and a honeymoon (our family and wedding party will join us for a weeklong vacation after the wedding) included in that price. a modest rental and catering budget means we can still have an elegant affair, but much more bang for our buck. and no 10,000 dollar honeymoon to fund.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from naniof3. Show naniof3's posts

I've now planned five weddings (two mine) and all have been on the cheap, but very elegant and special. The key is to be willing to put in the work of bringing many elements together yourself. Check out supermarkets for flowers, for example -- many have great values using seasonal flowers. Supermarkets are a great option for wedding cakes, too, as are small bakeries (we got one for under $100 for my in-laws' 50th anniversary.) My husband loves chocolate, so we got a triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, with fresh flowers on top. We got our flowers by the case and arranged them ourselves the day before the wedding. I made a lot of the food, and other friends brought food as their gift to us. My brother and his wife had his very inexpensive wedding here in our garden. I bought several dozen white roses at Costco ($14.95 dozen) and her sisters and I made bouquets, including the bridal bouquet, which was a simple French wrap) using the roses and hydrangeas from our and her mother's gardens. They opted against a cake and had five different kinds of summer fruit pies. OK, so it helps to have a sister willing to do that stuff! My brother found a very talented accordionist to play on the lawn during the reception, and everyone said it was one of the nicest weddings they'd ever been to. I haven't seen hotel packages mentioned -- we did our daughter's ceremony for immediate family and close friends in Austin, Texas, where the hotel provided a small chapel and a private room for the family dinner, and it was lovely. We held a reception for them here two days after Christmas in a small yacht club, again using flowers from Costco, but also taking advantage of the gorgeous holiday decorations in the club. We had "heavy hors d'oeuvres" including two pasta stations, and it was a surprising amount of delicious food. Be willing to break with tradition and go with your heart -- that's what makes a wedding memorable, not the favors or the placecards or coordinating bridesmaids' dresses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammalove. Show mammalove's posts

Elope. OR , if you feel you have to do "something", remember Martha Stewart. "If you wouldn't have them to your house for dinner, don not invite them to your wedding"... this addage whittled our guest list from 200 to 40. We had a very intimate wedding and reception and it was easy and stress free. Good luck and enjoy. Less is MORE!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rj83librarian. Show rj83librarian's posts

Why spend anything? Exchange vows before the justice of the peace. I really see no reason for people to spend a cent...its such a joke in light of the fact that a mojority of the marriages will end in divorce...some before the wedding is completely paid off. I teach my students to bypass marriage, and live with your special partner, then when it is all over, shake hands and go your separate ways. Why should the lawyers make all the money? Marriage is an outdated, outmoded, and useless institution which we as a society should abolish.