Cannoli cream as a cake filling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HTuck. Show HTuck's posts

Anyone have any experience with this? I have wanted that as a filling since the time I was 16 and had it in a friend's b-day cake... now that the time has come, it is difficult to find a bakery that does it. I now have a tasting with two that do, but others have recommended against it for different reasons - anyone have an opinion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

are you talking about the yellow or choc cream or the ricotta filling.
    most italian bakeries still do the italian cake with rum, yellow/chcoc filling, strawberries and rum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakehousegirl. Show Lakehousegirl's posts

There is a bakery in Kingston, SugarPlum Bakery that does the cannoli filling, BUT I don't think they are that strong with wedding cakes, so I wouldn't recommend them on that front. Their cakes with the cannoli filling are delicious though, I would be happy to eat that for dessert at a wedding. Not sure why people would recommend against them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder if you supply a bakery with the filling if they would be more willing to do it. Mike's Pastry's in Boston's North End makes the BEST CANNOLI'S EVER. Maybe they would let you buy some of their filling for a bakery to use in their cake? It's not like they could compete with them if they only sell 5 lbs of filling...? Not sure. Anyway, in the meantime, you can go to Mike's and have a cannoli.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I had this cake! But it was from a bakery in CT. It is called Cassata cake (sp?). It is alternating layers of chocolate and white cake. I would suggest scoping out authentic Italian bakeries for it. The filling is cannoli filling with chocolate chips. They used royal icing. It was DELICIOUS at the wedding and people raved about it. It held up just fine! Not recommended a year later out of the freezer though - you may want a different filling in the top layer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Sorry if I am repeating, but I can't figure out these new boards! Don't know if my other post went through. Just wanted to say that I had this cake at my wedding. It is called Cassata cake (sp?). Try an authentic Italian bakery for it... mine was in CT so probably no help to you. It is alternating layers of white and chocolate cake with cannoli filling and chocolate chips in between the layers. It held up great for the wedding! The baker just used royal icing. It was DELICIOUS and people raved about it. However, not so great frozen a year later! I might recommend an alternate filling for your top layer to save.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Mike's Pastry's are disgusting. Just my personal opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I beg to differ on Mike's.
    That aside, Maria's in the North End will do a lovely cake with this filling for you. Most delicious

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

sounds wonderful to me - esp if you have a strong flavored cake like spice or deep chocolate
    if there's an issue about the cake construction with the connoli cream, consider that dollar saving technique of haveing a small display cake for cutting and then actually cutting and serving your guests from sheet or regular cakes kept in the kitchen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laura8marie. Show laura8marie's posts

I had cassata cake at my wedding. It was one of three flavors in the cake. It came from Montillio's, and it was delicious. This is a pretty standard option for them.

FYI I also don't like Mike's, Modern pastry is much better: across the street, less touristy, more authentic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Re: Cannoli cream as a cake filling?

I agree with the thoughts on Modern over Mikes. 

Anyway, this is the exact kind of cake that I had wanted as well.  Since I was little I dreamed of layers of cake with cannoli filling.  However when I started looking, it seemed it did not exist. 
    We did taste the Cassada cake at Modern and while it was very good, the cake had to be a wet cake and was made this way with a rum mixture.  I did not like the taste.  The baker let us have a try of cake and filling, that's it and I could see why it didn't work.  So, we decided not to go with the Cassada cake.  I had another baker try making her own cammoli filling, but it just wasn't up to par (kudos to her for trying though!)  

If you do find this dream cake we are searching for, please let me know! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

What a wonderful idea? This could become the second most famous pie after the Boston Cream Pie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think it's delicious! Of course, the cake has to be just right to fit with the cannoli filling. mmmm.... I'm so hungry now!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS08. Show MrsS08's posts

We had cannoli filling with chocolate chips in the filling for our cake.  We had a 5 tier cake with cannoli in 3 of the layers and carrot cake in the other two.  We chose buttercream frosting.  We got it at Montillio's in Braintree.  It was fantastic.  We just celebrated our 1 year last week and ate the top of the cake that had been in our freezer.  The buttercream frosting and cake was delicious but the cannoli cream had freezer burn, lol. 

Sections
Shortcuts