Catholic churches in and around Newport, RI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lac1876. Show lac1876's posts

Hi!
    I've been reading these boards for the past few months and have found they are a wealth of information!!

I just booked Astor's Beechwood Mansion for my November 2009 wedding reception .... but now I'm having a hard time finding a Catholic church in the area that will marry my FI and I !! We are both originally from MA, but now live in Washington, DC. I have found that a few churches will consider marrying us, however, the churches are not really convenient to Astor's, nor are the mass times -- 2pm is the latest and our reception isn't until 7!!

I have been unable to reach anyone at Salve Regina and do not know what their restrictions are....

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice or information, particularly about Salve Regina, since this seems to be the last viable option!!

Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

There is a cute church in Tiverton, RI that I cannot remember the name of and friends of my DH got married there. There is no association to that church for the couple nor are they relgious. You can try there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJ0609. Show JJ0609's posts

We had the same issue with Churches in Newport...our reception doesn't begin until 6pm and I didn't want everyone to have 3 or 4 hours in between the ceremony and reception.

We inquired aout Salve, but it costs $3,000 just for the ceremony (you'd have to bring someone in to perform the ceremony). And they were impossible to get in touch with, btw.

The best in the area we found was St. Christopher's in Tiverton, RI, about 25 - 30 mins from Newport, just a few exits North on Route 24.

They're pretty tricky to work with, but it's the best option in the area for a late-starting reception. Feel free to contact me and I can give you my contacts for Salve and St. C's.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lac1876. Show lac1876's posts

JJ0609-1,

Thank you for the info! I contacted Salve this morning
    and the woman was so rude - she wouldn't
    give me any information over the phone!!
    She said she was only authorized to give out information via the mail (not even email!),
    so I still have no idea what their
    qualifications are...

If you wouldn't mind sharing your contacts
    with me, I would really appreciate it!
    Also, any info you have about the church
    you ended up choosing.

Thanks again!
    lac1876

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[Quote]

JJ0609-1,

Thank you for the info! I contacted Salve this morning
    and the woman was so rude - she wouldn't
    give me any information over the phone!!
    She said she was only authorized to give out information via the mail (not even email!),
    so I still have no idea what their
    qualifications are...

If you wouldn't mind sharing your contacts
    with me, I would really appreciate it!
    Also, any info you have about the church
    you ended up choosing.

Thanks again!
    lac1876

[/Quote]

I looked up St. Christopher's because I thought that was the church in Tiverton that I went to (see previous post). The wedding we went to is St. Theresa's which is associated with St. Christophers. I really liked St. Theresa's because the aisle was sloped dowward towards the alter so it was like stadium seating (well not that steep) in the rows, but it made it really easy for everyone to view the ceremony and the exchanging of the vows etc.

http://www.sstandctiverton.org/index.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielle4. Show danielle4's posts

I am also looking for Catholic churches in Newport for my wedding as well.

Salve Regina sent us info and it is definitly $3,000. They also require the form be returned within 30 days.

Has anyone been to St. Lucy's in Middletown?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lac1876. Show lac1876's posts

Danielle4:
    While I have not personally visited St. Lucy's, I did contact them for wedding information. There were actually the most pleasant church people in the Newport area to deal with! However, the latest they will perform a wedding is 2:30pm on a Saturday. They require that your home parish priest prepare all the paperwork and perform the pre-cana. They will also let you bring a priest to their church to perform the wedding, if you prefer. If my memory serves me correctly, they charge $500 to use the church. There is some paperwork involved and you must return the paperwork and a deposit w/in 30 days to hold your wedding date.

Since they were such a pleasure to deal with, I really wanted to have my wedding there, but my reception doesn't start until 7pm, so 2:30 was way too early for a ceremony!

Hope this helps!! I would suggest reserving a church as soon as possible since there are so few in the area that will marry non-parishioners!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lac1876. Show lac1876's posts

sorry -- my posting was cut off; retry:
    Danielle4:
    While I have not personally visited St. Lucy's,
    I did contact them for wedding information. There were
    actually the most pleasant church people in the Newport
    area to deal with!
    However, the latest they will perform a wedding is 2:30pm
    on a Saturday. They require that your home parish priest
    prepare all the paperwork and perform the pre-cana.
    They will also let you bring a priest to their church to
    perform the wedding, if you prefer. If my memory serves
    me correctly, they charge $500 to use the church. There
    is some paperwork involved and you must return the
    paperwork and a deposit w/in 30 days to hold your
    wedding date.

Since they were such a pleasure to deal with, I really
    wanted to have my wedding there, but my reception
    doesn't start until 7pm, so 2:30 was way too early for
    a ceremony!

Hope this helps!! I would suggest reserving a church
    as soon as possible since there are so few in the area
    that will marry non-parishers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielle4. Show danielle4's posts

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm going to visit St. Lucy's over Thanksgiving weekend. They have definitly been the most pleasant to deal with and reasonably priced. Our wedding is on a Friday night and they've been pretty flexible. It definitely looks very modern and the aisle seems really short. I guess I'll get a better feel once I visit.

Thanks again for the feedback and good luck with planning.